Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 01-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #521
ScoobyDoo
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanCo View Post
If you follow the same rules as putting lights on a real human studio shoot, it’s pretty much the same. I think most indoor pictures fail in catching the colors cause of the light color and white balance, and using a too wide camera angle. I use above 100mm, which is a nice portrait angle without distortions.
I take my photos outside, preferably with shade (either from a tree or umbrella) when it’s sunny. I don’t have the space or equipment to take pictures indoors like you do.
Speaking of, may I ask what equipment (lights, camera/lens) you use?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #522
StefanCo
The Spirit

Outdoors with a bright but clouded sky you get nice natural soft light, which should give you nice pictures.

In these shots I used the following items:

LIGHTS: I have the Elinchrom D-lite RX 4 studio lights, as well as the portable (still pretty heavy to take with you, but it's more 'portable' as in 'has a battery pack') Elinchrom ELB500 TTL Dual To Go set. I use them with 2 softboxes 60x60cm (big enough for statues). I use one as a main light and the second as a fill light to light the back and give some contouring (shoulder, shield...). Softboxes give you a soft light without hard shadows, but still give you the chance to play with light/shadows (as I like most in my model photography too: https://www.stefancouvreur.photograp...afie/album.php)

CAMERA: I have a Nikon D800 and a D810, because I do a lot of dance photography. This is moving subjects in a pretty dark environment, so a bit of a challenge sometimes. I think for the statues, with the controlled light and static subject, any DSLR would do the job. The lens is more important. In this case I wouldn't see much difference between my €3200 D810 and the €500 D5200. It's in challenging situations the D810 takes the advantage.

LENS: I have a portrait 105mm lens, but I don't use it for the statues. The reason is these have a relatively long focus distance. I use a 105mm macro lens from Sigma (105mm f/2.8 macro). These are used for insects too. It's important it is a real 'Macro' lens to get close on the subject and to be able to focus at close range. The one I got was pretty cheap, since I got it 2nd hand. The good thing with macro lenses is even the cheaper ones are pretty good quality. One thing you might have to check: not all macro lenses have an internal focus motor. The one I got hasn't, so unless your body has a focus motor it won't autofocus, and you'll have to focus manually. I don't know how this is with other camera brands, but Nikon only has a focus motor in the higher end DSLRs. Most native Nikon lenses have the focus engine in the lens. Third party lenses (as Tamron/Sigma) often don't, which often reflects in the lower pricing.
StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #523
ScoobyDoo
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanCo View Post
Outdoors with a bright but clouded sky you get nice natural soft light, which should give you nice pictures.

In these shots I used the following items:

LIGHTS: I have the Elinchrom D-lite RX 4 studio lights, as well as the portable (still pretty heavy to take with you, but it's more 'portable' as in 'has a battery pack') Elinchrom ELB500 TTL Dual To Go set. I use them with 2 softboxes 60x60cm (big enough for statues). I use one as a main light and the second as a fill light to light the back and give some contouring (shoulder, shield...). Softboxes give you a soft light without hard shadows, but still give you the chance to play with light/shadows (as I like most in my model photography too: https://www.stefancouvreur.photograp...afie/album.php)

CAMERA: I have a Nikon D800 and a D810, because I do a lot of dance photography. This is moving subjects in a pretty dark environment, so a bit of a challenge sometimes. I think for the statues, with the controlled light and static subject, any DSLR would do the job. The lens is more important. In this case I wouldn't see much difference between my €3200 D810 and the €500 D5200. It's in challenging situations the D810 takes the advantage.

LENS: I have a portrait 105mm lens, but I don't use it for the statues. The reason is these have a relatively long focus distance. I use a 105mm macro lens from Sigma (105mm f/2.8 macro). These are used for insects too. It's important it is a real 'Macro' lens to get close on the subject and to be able to focus at close range. The one I got was pretty cheap, since I got it 2nd hand. The good thing with macro lenses is even the cheaper ones are pretty good quality. One thing you might have to check: not all macro lenses have an internal focus motor. The one I got hasn't, so unless your body has a focus motor it won't autofocus, and you'll have to focus manually. I don't know how this is with other camera brands, but Nikon only has a focus motor in the higher end DSLRs. Most native Nikon lenses have the focus engine in the lens. Third party lenses (as Tamron/Sigma) often don't, which often reflects in the lower pricing.
Thank you for the very detailed response! I almost got a Nikon D5200 about 3 years ago, but I went for a Sony a6300 instead. I don’t have a dedicated macro lens for it but now that’s something on my radar. The lighting you have looks good as well. Sometimes I do take pictures on bright but cloudy days. I still prefer sunny days since sometimes I like the sun to shine in my shot, plus I like the warm yellow tint it provides sometimes (it really depends on what kind of photo I want that day) but bright and cloudy definitely works.

Again thank you, I shall be keeping an eye out on whatever pictures you post!
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote