Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall View Post
by CS Moore.

My sentiments exactly, brother. Now if ARH could just pay Clay to crank out a 1/4 scale Conan piece, I would let go of some cabbage. I won't be letting go of any cabbage.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

My sentiments exactly, brother. Now if ARH could just pay Clay to crank out a 1/4 scale Conan piece, I would let go of some cabbage. I won't be letting go of any cabbage.
Yes. I'll be keeping my lettuce until Clay harvests some of those juicy tomatoes. Til we can point our fingers and say "There's the BEEF!" Dang! This code is making me hungry Bro.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #23
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #24
Alex Pereira
Sculptor
Sculptor

what do you think about this?

Alejandro Pereira
Alex Pereira 3D & Sculptures

Available for Comission Works
Alex Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pereira View Post

Alejandro Pereira

I like that one a lot.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
wait... so it's their generic barbarian with a Conan license on it now to make it officially a Conan piece? If they stick with it, I'd be interested to see what they come up with.

So to clarify, he went from "Barbarian" to "Conan the Barbarian"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
It's just that easy.
To be fair to Arahom and I don't have any inside information or know what happened but my guess is it went something like this:

We all know how the licensing system works. You can create your own characters but cannot "copy" someone elses protected work. ARH created a more or less generic barbarian character and then Paradox (who holds the REH Conan license) saw it and contacted them and said it is close enough to our character that you need to cease and desist or we will sue you. ARH already had this made and is a small company and doesn't want to defend in a lawsuit that they may or may not win so instead negotiated a deal with Paradox whereby they pay a license fee and get to sell it but also then get to produce other conan stuff that would presumably sell better because it is Conan. That is why the Alex example above looks so much more like the Conan we all remember from the books.

If Paradox did tell him to cease and desist without a license what else could he do with the already produced barbarian? If it was you would you just scrap it?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
If Paradox did tell him to cease and desist without a license what else could he do with the already produced barbarian? If it was you would you just scrap it?

I wouldn't have copied somebody's work so closely to start with, so I can't begin to think about what I would have done, if I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
As far as I know there isn't an "achillles" property, other than specific movie depictions. The reason there is a required "Conan" license is the REH estate had rights to Howards creation in the 1930's. Achilles is thousands of years old and nobody has rights to him except if you were to try to put out say a Brad Pitt version or something.
We all know that professor Jones , I'm talking about the fact that he looked exactly like Pitt from the movie. Now if if they changed the face up on the new 1/4, then wahtevs!
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
I wouldn't have copied somebody's work so closely to start with, so I can't begin to think about what I would have done, if I had.
So closely? All I have seen from the fellow Conan fans that I know is complaints how he doesn't even look like a proper barbarian, let alone a Conan, and that was BEFORE the Paradox kurfuffle. I think he would have won a court battle against Paradox but it costs a lot of money to win court battles and since it wouldn't be frivilous he likely couldn't win his court costs. I think the fact that REH is the godfather of Barbarian fantasy gives them a lot of heft to go after any sculpt with black hair, no shirt, and a sword. Now before you jump on me and say if it doesn't look like Conan how can he now claim it IS conan under license I will tell you again that I think Paradox forced his hand and he does, after all, have black hair, a sword, and no shirt...so close enough. As you can see by Alex's work above if he was TRYING to copy Conan as described he would look very different.

Quote:
We all know that professor Jones , I'm talking about the fact that he looked exactly like Pitt from the movie. Now if if they changed the face up on the new 1/4, then wahtevs!

You have a pretty low threshold for likenesses. I have the 1/7 ARH Achilles with a sword and he looks pretty much like the new one to me face wise and I don't see a likeness to Brad Pitt, or do you mean just costume? If so both are drawing on historical descriptions so you would expect them to be similar.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
johnclone
The Enchantress

My guess is the resemblance to the new movie poster with the pile of skulls didn't go over well. Also let's not forget the name "The Barbarian" What the holders of the license are implying is that there is only one "Barbarian" that goes by that title.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pereira View Post

Alejandro Pereira

this sure looks like Conan to me.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote