Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Poisonous
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Want to give it a go - Newb questions warning

I hope this is the right place to put this thread...

Well, after seeing all these talented people and what they can do with sculpting their own figures/statues, i'm extremely tempted at learning how to, all at a modest amateur level of course.

I'm looking for the easiest way possible to start sculpting and playing around with ideas. What i need to know is, what clay (or whatever i might need to use) could i practice on, if i do not intend to either make a mold of it nor even put it in the oven. Just practice sculpting for now?

What do i need and where can i get it?

I apologize in advance, for what i do not know, but i'm sure i'll upset someone, ROFL.

I'm serious though, i can't bottle up this desire to sculpt any longer.

Also, the whole armature thing was to hard to comprehend in the tutorial by canale, i really need a super newb tutorial which really assumes you have NEVER had ANY contact with sculpting...oh, and that you're a complete dumb-ass. Any of those?

To clarify: I want to practice sculpting on a easy material that would still offer the same or similar characteristics as what you'd sculpt with if you actually intended to make a mold out of the sculpture. I want to play around with all these ideas i have in my head and maybe even try to create something with the likeness of my favorite, The Darkness, a.k.a Jackie Estacado. Basically, i want to start walking down the road to advanced sculpting, but ease my into it as much as possible. i.e - Extreme baby steps.

Any [kind, understanding and forgiving] feedback, would be greatly appreciated!

/Rich
Poisonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
modelkitfreak
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Hey there,
Im not exactly a "seasoned" sculptor by any means, but I have done my share of foolin. I will give you my 2 cents, but this is just my outlook.
First and foremost, before even worrying about armatures and clay.......ANATOMY..studystudystudy!
Armatures can be approached many different ways but as long as they will hold the weight of the material, and are correctly proportioned it should be ok.
If nothing else, try some 8 gauge copper grounding wire, and wrap it with something smaller. Foil for starting head and rib cage.
Try sculpting from the inside out, actually following anatomical diagrams from bone structure to muscle and finally skin etc.
Im not sure what type of hobby shops you have access to, but I would track down some chavant nsp to give it a shot, its pretty forgiving.
I dont want to make this too long, so I hope I this is of some help.
Good luck!: 2:
modelkitfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
doubloshoe
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

a lot of information can be read here
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=25103

even more here
http://www.theclubhouse1.net/forums/...d3249a7da21474

I would recommend Super sculpey firm to start out with.
http://store.creative-wholesale.com/...6/Default.aspx

as long as you dont bake it you can reuse as many times as you want

this has a great instructional video for armature
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/scu01.html
doubloshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Poisonous

Incredible, you guys are awesome. I really appreciate it.

I'll be sure to post my progress and if i have any further questions (which i will) i'll post them here.

Anything else i should pick up at Creative Wholesale while i'm at it?

Thanks guys,

Rich
Old 11-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Poisonous

Just ordered some super sculpey living doll, super sculpey firm and super sculpey regular (natural skin color), plus a bunch of tools, some granitex, paint and a rotating work table.

I'm excited. Thank you guys for the advice. I'm sure i'll be asking more questions here later.

*EDIT*

I have a question:

I received the sculpey clays now but am wondering if i'm supposed to soften the clay up before sculpting? The clay seem rather stiff and hardened. Just wondering if there are any preperations i need to know of before starting to sculpt..?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Poisonous

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Rich,

The folks who make Super Sculpey, make the stuff in large batches and sometimes it ages for a while before it reaches your hands. The new stuff is usually very soft (too soft) and has to be leached out to get it to work for sculpting. The firmer stuff is because some of the plasticisers in it have already leached out over time (really old stuff can even be crumbly).

Generally, if you break the stuff up and work it with your hands or run it few times through a pasta roller, it will soften up. If it's really hard, you might want to add a bit of Sculpey dilutent to it (very, very little) and work it in.
The dilutent is good for reconstituting clay that's too far gone. As you just bought yours, I'd suggest just work it with your hands for a while. The warmth in your hands will actually help soften it up.

FYI on storage -- SS will eat into plastic containers and it will stain untreated (and some treated) wood surfaces if you leave it there too long. If you leave it in the box it comes in, it will leach out the plasitcisers in the clay and get really crumbly. I wrap mine in tin foil and then a double zip lock bag. It definitely helps extend the shelf life.

Take care,

Will
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
Poisonous

Thanks Ceramicus, i REALLY appreciate the info
Old 11-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
Poisonous

Played around for about 20 mins last night and this was the result, a yet to be detailed head-sculpt. Didn't use any reference as i was just playing around. Never done any sculpting before, so i quite proud

Need to check out some detailing vids or something before i go at it though.

Another image:

Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Poisonous

Some more pics as i now fiddled around with a body sculpt as well: