Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #361
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

These really soured me. The color (purple, orange, red, signatures) and numbered/unumbered chase/inserts really stretched it out. Thought the card scene was making a small comeback. Joe did a magnificent job on his part.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #362
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
did you manage to complete the set Alex23? any update on how you have these displayed?

I finally cracked and bought the set, I couldnt resist anymore, and im giddy as a school boy lol

I dont have them yet they need to arrive in the mail

but I got the normal 1-81 base set, the 82-90 epic purples (what a pain those were to track down) the holofoil, battle spectra, and canvas sets, that is good enough for me

I'll post some pics when I get everything
congrats for taking the plunge, I would have loved to have gotten into this set...
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #363
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

thanks Cobra

I resisted this whole time but I just couldnt resist any longer, this is no ordinary card set and I had to have it in my collection

its kind of opened a can of worms now because im really thinking about splurging on the only 2 cards im missing from the masterpieces sets from the 90's, the mirage cards from the 1995 masterpieces, those have been eluding me almost my whole life...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #364
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
These really soured me. The color (purple, orange, red, signatures) and numbered/unumbered chase/inserts really stretched it out. Thought the card scene was making a small comeback. Joe did a magnificent job on his part.
I view that as a good thing as long as you arent trying to complete all the variants. Having all the variants just means there are more cards out there available, making it a little less limited. I settled for the regular base set, not the signature ones, or purple or red or what if, but if someone was OK mixing and matching it would make it easier to complete a full set...plus if it wasnt for the epic purple variants i'd never be able to complete the high numbered 82-90 cards
Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #365
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
thanks Cobra

I resisted this whole time but I just couldnt resist any longer, this is no ordinary card set and I had to have it in my collection

its kind of opened a can of worms now because im really thinking about splurging on the only 2 cards im missing from the masterpieces sets from the 90's, the mirage cards from the 1995 masterpieces, those have been eluding me almost my whole life...
yeah you gotta wrap it up man, that sh_ts gonna drive you nuts lol

before this set was released and we really understood what it was going to take to collect this line I got the completest bug and picked up most of the remaining stragglers I had missing from my collection. there were still a few I didn't pick up because honestly I would have had to start a new page then only have 4 of 9 sleeves filled in - ocd can be a b!tch
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #366
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
yeah you gotta wrap it up man, that sh_ts gonna drive you nuts lol

before this set was released and we really understood what it was going to take to collect this line I got the completest bug and picked up most of the remaining stragglers I had missing from my collection. there were still a few I didn't pick up because honestly I would have had to start a new page then only have 4 of 9 sleeves filled in - ocd can be a b!tch
so expensive though lol the avengers mirage is worth around $300 and the rarer x-men mirage is worth about $400, thats why they've been eluding me all these years haha

whether you get this set or not, its still cool this release got you to go back and finish up some loose ends in your collection, it always feels good doing that. I know what you mean about card collecting and OCD trust me!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #367
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

95 and 96 elude me with some of those inserts.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 AM   #368
Spazzy
Hercules

Been taking a break from statues this past month...with rising costs and working on them everyday it got a bit boring collecting them...sold some and went back to some older hobbies...first it started with trade paper backs/omnibus' but after spending a good amount and receiving them.... I quickly realized I don't have time to read lol.

So started out getting the 1992 marvel masterpieces set and inserts which I loved growing up...got mm 1994, 2007 2008, than a bunch of other sets like marvel universe 1990-1992, xmen sets, spidey sets, some misc sets...went into a haze ordering, even bought multiples of an insert set and a couple single cards by accident...than came across the 2016 series....beautiful cards...but what the f*** with the cost....I thought getting the spidey 2017 fleer set was pricey at 45.... Than did a little research and saw what the card market has become...basically inserts and sketches are primary and base is secondary....and the amounts some of these are going for were ridiculous....cardboard....it's just cardboard with a pic you can easily get online for free....but I couldn't stay away from this set and found, based on market value, a damn good price for 1-81 and the canvas cards...got them in loved them, the feel to them is something hard to describe...than started looking at the inserts cuz my OCD kicked in...but not to the point of needing all the variants...and was about to do a deal for the spectra and holo sets...he was dicking me around for too long nickel and diming me and eventually i passed...luckily I found comc.com which has been awesome..picked up all the inserts for a little cheaper than what I was going to pay for the complete sets..getting my last 10 holofoils today...than of course I had to start chipping away at 82-90...purple is more than acceptable to me...sometimes double the cost for a foil color change lol, was able to get doom venom and mephisto for $27-33... Hesitated on a couple others and missed out on decent prices...picked up surfer today for around what he has been going for...but looks like a lot of collectors are buying right now bumping up the prices on the last ones....goosefraba..

The what if deadpool is badass but one just sold for $600+ hell no...not worth $550 for a new mutants title and some writing.

I am curious to buy a box as I really want to open some packs bringing me back to my 1992 days...the box breaks on YouTube kinda help...but not the same ( I still don't get why people buy a box to break from a store and only get some of the cards...and what fun is that? I guess for the people watching) but the boxes now are stupid pricey...about 3 times as much as retail....from what it looks like it's a good chance I could make back my $ ...but could get stuck with a crappy sketch and no higher priced variants...decisions decisions. Why aren't the holofoils and spectra cards worth more? They don't pop up very frequently..I got some as low as $2.50, one was $12 deadpool...the rest around $5...weird....and the buybacks kinda lame...I wouldn't want to pull these at all...I already got the set no need for same card with a stamp.

I probably could have got a couple larger statues with all i have been spending... The downside of 20 bucks here 30 bucks there...adds up real fast...but lately been more entertaining than statues...back to the hunt..its been awhile a few years ago was my last time with gi joe kreos...went overboard on those as well...but before that was the 2007-2010 25th Ann joe figures...and a decade before that since I really hunted figures/comics.....internet makes people so lazy lol... I used to be up early every Saturday and Sunday mornings going to toys r us', targets, kb toys, kiddie world, than the comic shops looking for figures and comics.

The really cool thing is since I saw guardians of the galaxy 2 with my 4 yo daughter, she has been really into superheroes so she loves looking at these cards and even use a set I got for cheap as incentives for being extra good at school and home...she has been getting pretty good at knowing a lot of the characters.

Whew...rant over, been some time since I've really posted here

Quote:
heres a question

I remember earlier in the thread it was mentioned Joe was commissioned for 135 original paintings, but with the 90 base cards, and the 10 canvas, 16 battle spectra, and 17 holoflash that is only 133 cards, what are the other 2 paintings?
Been dying to know this as well...I know there are 9 mirage cards....but look like rehashes of other cards...I don't care for those.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #369
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I agree Spazzy, I stopped collecting statues a while back, and I sold more than half my statue collection a few years ago and I never regretted it. The novelty of statues wears off quickly, they are too hard to take care of, too hard to resell, and way to risky to ship and maintain due to any damage making them pretty much worthless. Cards and books are much funner and easier to collect I think, I collected cards and books long before statues and I still collect them.

thats awesome you got all those card sets!! cards are the best things to collect. Its cool you got the 2016 masterpieces too, I know they were pricey but a set of this quality only comes around once every 20 years so its worth it I think, thats why I decided to splurge, I still love the 92 masterpieces as much as the first day I got them back in 1992.

I personally dont really like the 'what if' card variants, the logos cause too much of the beautiful artwork to be covered, and sometimes the images need to be cropped to work, I prefer just the traditional base set more than any other of the variants even the signature series, I want the artwork to be the star not the gimmicks.

ordering boxes is OK if you like opening the packs and get lucky, I moreso care about just getting the complete set and chase sets, im not looking for sketch cards or ultra gem cards or any of that stuff that randomly pops up in packs, I understand its fun to open packs and see whats inside but i'd rather just have the complete set, which is why I usually always buy complete sets instead of boxes.

thats awesome your daughter is into the cards! shes around the right age, I was 5 when I got addicted with card collecting, for me it started with the 1990 marvel universe cards, still one of my favorite sets to this day

I think for the 135 paintings vs 133, from what I can gather joe did paintings for some of the fantastic four but marvel didnt allow them to be used in the set (damn you marvel with your stupid fantastic four boycott) a masterpiece set without the fantastic four included in any way because of movie politics is really a downer, I wish I could see those paintings im sure they are amazing, joes invisible girl from the 92 set is one of my favorite cards of her. Yes I do believe the mirage cards are all reused artwork from the base and chase sets which is why im not getting them, I just want one of each image which is why im not into variants I dont see the point of collecting different colored borders

I also picked up the 2017 spider-man fleer set, I was really surprised to see they had all new artwork, and beautiful artwork as well! I had no idea they were coming out so I was very surprised! they were reasonably priced, but not super limited like the 2016 masterpieces. I hope marvel continues this trend of card sets with all new artwork, if that keeps happening ill keep buying cause I support sets with new artwork, but not sets with rehashed artwork those are lame
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #370
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
I agree Spazzy, I stopped collecting statues a while back, and I sold more than half my statue collection a few years ago and I never regretted it. The novelty of statues wears off quickly, they are too hard to take care of, too hard to resell, and way to risky to ship and maintain due to any damage making them pretty much worthless. Cards and books are much funner and easier to collect I think, I collected cards and books long before statues and I still collect them.

I'm definitely not done with statues..still my favorite hobby...just need a bit of time to get back into it..I wipe out majority of my collection every few years...and I already passed that last year...keeps things fresh and new and let's me find out what I really want to keep. But yes shipping can be a pain in the was and dealing with potential scammers....yes comics and cards were a big part of my childhood.

Quote:
thats awesome you got all those card sets!! cards are the best things to collect. Its cool you got the 2016 masterpieces too, I know they were pricey but a set of this quality only comes around once every 20 years so its worth it I think, thats why I decided to splurge, I still love the 92 masterpieces as much as the first day I got them back in 1992.
The 92 set stills holds up..just got the lost 5 card set today that was only available in the tin set...I doubt I will splurge like this on other sets...I am hoping new sets will be more like the 2017 spidey fleer...a little more reasonable.

Quote:
I personally dont really like the 'what if' card variants, the logos cause too much of the beautiful artwork to be covered, and sometimes the images need to be cropped to work, I prefer just the traditional base set more than any other of the variants even the signature series, I want the artwork to be the star not the gimmicks.
I don't care much for them either but the deadpool one was the only one I wanted...but not at that price....I don't like the good signatures...they definitely distract...now a real signature is more special.

Quote:
boxes is OK if you like opening the packs and get lucky, I moreso care about just getting the complete set and chase sets, im not looking for sketch cards or ultra gem cards or any of that stuff that randomly pops up in packs, I understand its fun to open packs and see whats inside but i'd rather just have the complete set, which is why I usually always buy complete sets instead of boxes.
Yeah at $370 a box...and rare you will get some that will cover the entire cost let alone a profit towards other stuff....I think I may try my hand with the spidey fleer boxes still retail and looks like the scetches are better and more valuable inserts...so not as much risk...I have seen some boxes have crap though.

Quote:
awesome your daughter is into the cards! shes around the right age, I was 5 when I got addicted with card collecting, for me it started with the 1990 marvel universe cards, still one of my favorite sets to this day
I remember the 90-92 marvel universe sets very well...the 94 flair was a big one too...back then getting a $15-$20 insert was a huge deal..and very hard to get the set when scrounging for a few bucks for a pack...couch money, lawns and soda cans was my way to get $.

Quote:
I think for the 135 paintings vs 133, from what I can gather joe did paintings for some of the fantastic four but marvel didnt allow them to be used in the set (damn you marvel with your stupid fantastic four boycott) a masterpiece set without the fantastic four included in any way because of movie politics is really a downer, I wish I could see those paintings im sure they are amazing, joes invisible girl from the 92 set is one of my favorite cards of her. Yes I do believe the mirage cards are all reused artwork from the base and chase sets which is why im not getting them, I just want one of each image which is why im not into variants I dont see the point of collecting different colored borders
Ahh that make sense...it definitely is missing them...sucks....well maybe the images will pop up or their will be lost cards like the 92 set.

Quote:
also picked up the 2017 spider-man fleer set, I was really surprised to see they had all new artwork, and beautiful artwork as well! I had no idea they were coming out so I was very surprised! they were reasonably priced, but not super limited like the 2016 masterpieces. I hope marvel continues this trend of card sets with all new artwork, if that keeps happening ill keep buying cause I support sets with new artwork, but not sets with rehashed artwork those are lame
Yeah I will keep getting sets if like these two...I've bought a few sets 2007 and the 2 2008 sets...they were really cheap and their inserts as well so I figured why not....plus would make a good set for my kid when done with the 30th ann spidey set is done...I have seen some cheap boxes too may just do that instead of spending so much for newer ones.....don't know if I can justify the 1996 marvel masterpieces set....I saw the last set go for a lot..and the 6 double impact cards for around same cost....I will probably pick up the 95 set but no rush

Been storing the thicker cards in ultra pro platinum sheets they fit well and added a penny sleeve...I didn't like the gap since they were so thick and could let the dust in.. So I flipped the penny sleeve to where it is now blocking the opening up top...was fun to handle them again
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote