Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #51
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Duvernay was officially asked and officially passed due to a difference in vision with MS. Very classy release by the lady as contained below.

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/20...-black-panther

Last edited by Matches Malone; 07-03-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #52
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I get feeling from this interview and previous directors that Marvel hold tight reigns on their Directors who are essentially guns for hire with little or no input. She is better of doing something she will be happy with.!
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #53
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I get feeling from this interview and previous directors that Marvel hold tight reigns on their Directors who are essentially guns for hire with little or no input. She is better of doing something she will be happy with.!
Certainly seems to ring true in light of their choice of director for Spider-Man and his lack of filmography.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #54
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

At this point I'd rather have the movie done the Marvel way as opposed to giving it to a director to let them loose to do "their" creative vision. So far Marvel has been quite successful. And the last thing we need is another "Hulk". Directors get swelled heads faster than most actors, and when they get too much power you can end up with movies like Peter Jackson's King Kong, which I still cannot rewatch to this day until somebody hacks off at least 45 minutes. I'm not suggesting they bring in a tool that just robotically follows studio memos. I think they generally tend to look for the up and comers who have a lot of talent and creativity but not an overlong resume. However Branaugh did a great job making Thor work, but doesn't look like he'll be back for III. If the Marvel approach goes off the tracks, and eventually it will, then it might be time to bring in fresh directorial vision.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #55
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
At this point I'd rather have the movie done the Marvel way as opposed to giving it to a director to let them loose to do "their" creative vision. So far Marvel has been quite successful. And the last thing we need is another "Hulk". Directors get swelled heads faster than most actors, and when they get too much power you can end up with movies like Peter Jackson's King Kong, which I still cannot rewatch to this day until somebody hacks off at least 45 minutes. I'm not suggesting they bring in a tool that just robotically follows studio memos. I think they generally tend to look for the up and comers who have a lot of talent and creativity but not an overlong resume. However Branaugh did a great job making Thor work, but doesn't look like he'll be back for III. If the Marvel approach goes off the tracks, and eventually it will, then it might be time to bring in fresh directorial vision.
I agree. Marvel has found the right balance in bringing their comic book properties to life thus far so there's no need to change the recipe.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #56
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

F. Gary Gray linked to direct. (rumour)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=123531
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #57
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

In light about the deabates regarding the choice of director. This could also be relative in the WW, FF and MI5 threads.

http://collider.com/hollywood-has-ma...collidersocial
Old 08-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #58
MrYac
Hercules

meh. pandering for no other reason than to make a percentage more appealing to a bleeding heart never seems a good idea to me.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #59
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Given Hollywood's lack of diversity I applaud Marvel trying to hire minority and female directors. It's easy to criticize when one isn't under represented. That said, gender/skin color of course should not be the only criteria. There are plenty of talented minority directors out there who aren't getting the same opportunities or financial support, and can't build competitive filmographies. Marvel just needs to find directors who aren't prima donnas or trying to make "message" movies; how solid skillsets; can work with effects and big set pieces; and understand how the characters need to fit into the bigger cinematic universe. I don't know about the Straight Outta Compton guy, but someone like Antoine Fuqua might be a solid choice for Panther. Just not John Singleton because he's terrible. That's not to say there aren't other up and coming directors who could also take the chair. I hope Captain Marvel has a female director, like Kathryn Bigelow maybe. But not Angeline Jolie, because I don't think she's that good of a director either. At least I've had zero interest in her projects and they generally haven't tracked very well.

First priority is to make a great movie. And that means starting with a great script.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #60
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Here is a list of movies F. Gary Gray directed before Straight Outta Compton:

Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
Be Cool (2005)
A Man Apart (2003)
The Italian Job (2003)
The Negotiator (1998)
Set It Off (1996)
Friday (1995)

It looks diverse, but I haven't seen any of them.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote