Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
SiegeLoki
Frackin!

I've never changed my collection theme. I've added some minor aspects to it, but for the most part I've just collected Loki pages/covers and commissions. With the occasional Thor piece thrown in.

I've considered adding some Namor, but it would never reach the volume of the Loki stuff.
SiegeLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
Underdog07
Hercules

Started out getting cat woman commissions. Got one from most artists that I wanted. Now have moved to higher end artists with random characters. Found with ever increasing prices that I would rather spend more (say $500) to get a top tier artist than take the chance on a lesser known artist (at say $300).
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #23
Sithlord32
New Republic

I know this is addressed to comics but it can apply to any kind of collection. Take statues for example. Its hard for many of us who have an inkling across the board for characters from comics, movies, anime, video games etc. Its too hard to divulge into every collection unless you have unlimited space and cash which most of us do not.

So as far as themes go, to address the topic at hand here is how I have decided to collect statues. Scale comes into play 1st. Having most everything in the same scale or at least having a variety of options for different scales plays a factor. So unless a piece is just amazing in every sense of the word I try to not break my rules for scale.

Having varied tastes also poses a problem as I said because I cannot afford nor do I have the space to collect umpteenth lines so i thought about what it is that I like the most and broke into segments.

Theme one for me is Villains. Love me some bad guys so I keep all my villains together. This expands from Star Wars to Predator to Hellraiser. It looks uniform and allows me to be diverse. So I can have Vader next to Pinhead and a Predator

Theme two for me is heroines. Any females that I love for whatever reason get displayed together. This also allows me to be diverse but has uniformity. So I can Have Red Sonja, Lara Croft, Kier, The Black Queen, Machiko Noguchi all together and it still looks good.

Thirdly I have some characters that fall into lines like bishou and such that are very limited for my tastes and that helps keep the collection from getting to large or having too many sculpts hitting all at one time.

A few video game statues and Spiderman fall outside these standards but these exceptions are minimal and reserved for only a select few properties. I would like to put together an X-men set but I have yet to find sculpts I like of the team i want in scale with each other or their availability is scarce.

With these themes set this way I dont ever see having to change my direction.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #24
Roygbiv666
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

My CAF Gallery:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=56510

Mostly, I do commissions with old public domain characters and my own creations, with occasional other things (DC vs Marvel, Sherlock Holmes) sprinkled in. I'm guessing that once I finish my "Who's Handbook" of my own characters, I may need to change things up. Who knows?

Original comic art is something I haven't bought much of lately.
Roygbiv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #25
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

I rotate various characters and artists. If I find I'm playing one particular character too heavily, I back off on that one and let others take the limelight. The last thing I want is for my collection to be samey and stuck in a rut. The whole point of it is to keep things shaken up and changing.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv666 View Post
My CAF Gallery:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=56510

Mostly, I do commissions with old public domain characters and my own creations, with occasional other things (DC vs Marvel, Sherlock Holmes) sprinkled in. I'm guessing that once I finish my "Who's Handbook" of my own characters, I may need to change things up. Who knows?

Original comic art is something I haven't bought much of lately.
I would think after the who's who is done you would still have a few stories to tell. Keep them coming. Very enjoyable!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #27
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Im mainly focus on Spidey, including villians and friends.
I mainly get commissions as I usually cant afford any OA.
Sometimes I will get a character that the artist is mainly known for, ie: Sal Buscema - Hulk, Javier Saltares - Ghost Rider.
But my main go-to is always Spidey
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I think that themes can be a lot o fun. Having a unified theme that runs through a collection is cool imo...I love when I see a novel theme, like one minute later, or the guy who gets charcaters on a throne....so many possibilities to explore!
I never intended to have a theme and didnt when I started collecting. Initially I picked up pieces here and there of many charcters. Somewhere along the line, I picked up the theme (accidntally in fact). As for how long until it changes? Every year I think I am done...then someone does something realy original and I stick with it
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #29
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
I rotate various characters and artists. If I find I'm playing one particular character too heavily, I back off on that one and let others take the limelight. The last thing I want is for my collection to be samey and stuck in a rut. The whole point of it is to keep things shaken up and changing.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I'll throw out a few options that I think would be cool, and let the artist decide. When I'm too heavy on one idea I take it off the list. I don't think I have a central theme as much as I have a few favorite characters that I like to see done in different styles.
pwimrbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote