Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

comic art con

I've seen this the last few years. is something like this not a good idea for a collector of newer pages? for some reason i picture it as being like one of those baseball card shows from the early 90's (small room rented in the hotel, just off the lobby). no way would i make the trip as its on the opposite side of the country, but, I'm curious. have any of you guys ever been? do dealers carry newer stuff with them?
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
dholden007
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I usually attend these but just to look at all the amazing art in the same place. Will try to go this Sunday. In my opinion everything is severely overpriced. Your description is fairly accurate, its in a separate room in the hotel on the ground floor. The room is a decent size and clean overall.

You basically have the same dealers every time: Snyder, Bechara, Will Gabri-EL, Frank Giella, Hans Kosenkranius, Jim Warden, The Donnellys, Albert Moy, Brad the Savage and Scott Eder. Also one thing I have noticed its always same crowd of collectors every time. Personally I feel that dealers are actually hurting the hobby. The majority of the art specifically the high-end pieces are owned by the dealers and the same collectors and it gets passed around through the same circle of people. They do sometimes get some newer art.
dholden007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Simple answer - no

It's a better place to get that $15-20k piece you always wanted. As Holden said its all dealers and most is overpriced. Heck some dealers try to sell for more at the show than they list it for on their website or ebay.

Those starting out and wanting bulk art should hit up artists alley at a show and negotiate with an artist for a stack of pages.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I kinda figured that. I envisioned it being the guys with badass silver and golden stuff. Prob not the place there'd be a lot of newer stuff. I'd love to see pics if anyone goes.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
I'd love to see pics if anyone goes.
Check out Dan's gallery rooms, he's one of the event organizers:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3894
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
dholden007
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I went today. Amazing art, but its basically all the same stuff. Not much newer stuff.
dholden007 is offline   Reply With Quote