Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #771
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Has anybody asked Tweeterhead if they have one, or several, on display and if there is any lean with theirs?

I remember this issue happening with another company who learned the resin was mixed wrong (XM's Black Widow). XM created new pieces and sent them to the owners. But XM knew of the issue because the piece they owned started to lean. Also from then on out they used large metal rods in all statues that have a single leg support or large pieces.

Without a rod or a good support this piece will lean. I have no doubt. It's not a matter if IF, it's a matter of when. I just HOPE that this design flaw is corrected before Starfire goes into production.
Starfire I hope they put a rod in mxylplytk
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #772
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Has anybody asked Tweeterhead if they have one, or several, on display and if there is any lean with theirs?

I remember this issue happening with another company who learned the resin was mixed wrong (XM's Black Widow). XM created new pieces and sent them to the owners. But XM knew of the issue because the piece they owned started to lean. Also from then on out they used large metal rods in all statues that have a single leg support or large pieces.

Without a rod or a good support this piece will lean. I have no doubt. It's not a matter if IF, it's a matter of when. I just HOPE that this design flaw is corrected before Starfire goes into production.
Not trying to start a huge a debate, as I don't post on here enough to keep up with it, but I've owned two SP Harleys and don't see how this post or several others on here come across with such assuredness regarding the supposed inevitable lean this piece will experience. I'm not sure why an example where the resin was improperly mixed is relevant, especially when it was that piece's leg (obviously not made of translucent resin and understandably overlooked from an engineering perspective compared to Harley, where TH assessed and responded to longevity concerns during development.)

Like gryphx1 stated, both my Harleys had the foot touching the exhaust trail straight out the box. If anything, that acts as the good support you cited being necessary, as that keeps the pressure concentrated where TH beefed it up on the bottom instead of bowing forward where the trail is thinnest.

For those who are worried theirs is leaning, the easiest ways to check are A) making sure the raised bomb-holding hand is still perpendicular to the ground and B) to see if the trail has developed stress cracks, which occur if the lean is weight-distribution-based but may not if it's melting from the climate.

I own a lot of PVC statues that similarly balance on one leg or effect trail without the need for a metal rod. Most, like Harley, have a short metal peg at the attachment point and balance fine. Believe it or not, metal rods are not always the most sound option because the resin can crack or break around it from unnatural weight balance even if the figure never actually leans or topples over. That's exactly what happens with some DC Collectibles pieces in my experience.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #773
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post

@built2shred...how does that gorilla glue tape work? Does it come off easily enough to box up the statue? Any residue?
It peels right off, It's like a gummy material so there's no residue
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #774
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Mine doesn't rest against the smoke trail and I don't recall it ever doing so. It's pretty close, but it's not touching. I don't think mine is leaning - her foot is still in front of the smoke trail, at least.

Really, the difference could amount to just pushing a little more down on the jet pack (I have about the thickness of a couple pieces of paper between her foot and the smoke plume). I wonder if that could be cause some of the problems.... maybe some don't have the jet pack pushed as far on to the smoke plume as it can go? If that foot is supposed to rest against the plume, that could be the problem.

The difference between my Supergirl statue tipping over and staying straight up is almost nothing. I was not seeing how it was going to stay up when I tried pushing her on to the base. It seemed like it was all the way on, but she kept tipping. I just kept pushing down on her foot and eventually she stayed up.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #775
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
The difference between my Supergirl statue tipping over and staying straight up is almost nothing. I was not seeing how it was going to stay up when I tried pushing her on to the base. It seemed like it was all the way on, but she kept tipping. I just kept pushing down on her foot and eventually she stayed up.
Seems scary.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #776
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Seems scary.
Not scary at all. About half her foot is in the cloud. I can imagine if you didn’t insert it fully that it would topple over.
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #777
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
Not scary at all. About half her foot is in the cloud. I can imagine if you didn’t insert it fully that it would topple over.
I realize that, it just seemed like he had to exert a bit of force on the foot.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #778
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
Mine does not have a lean. I don't have mine in a room that gets above 66 degrees. And from the day i set her up her foot did rest against the smoke trail. Initial pics had a thinner smoke trail and her foot wasn't touching. Then they beefed up the smoke trail for the production pieces and the foot rested on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Like gryphx1 stated, both my Harleys had the foot touching the exhaust trail straight out the box. If anything, that acts as the good support you cited being necessary, as that keeps the pressure concentrated where TH beefed it up on the bottom instead of bowing forward where the trail is thinnest.
Mine is the same as the both of you. I just got home and checked mine and it is the same as the day I set her up. Foot is touching the smoke trail and no visible lean.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #779
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I realize that, it just seemed like he had to exert a bit of force on the foot.
I did have to push. There was a small give before the foot affixed itself.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #780
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Mine is the same as the both of you. I just got home and checked mine and it is the same as the day I set her up. Foot is touching the smoke trail and no visible lean.
My Harley’s foot is touching the trail from day 1.