Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #3501
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Fingers crossed the new Inferno Omnibus means we'll be getting statues of characters in costumes from that era. I'm mainly just hoping for Dazzler, Havok and brown suit Wolverine but if they decide to revisit Rogue that would be great too. I'd buy Psylocke from the outback era but I don't see any statue company ever making her even though Sideshow and XM clearly have the talent to do it. Also, Goblin Queen. Please Disney. Pretty please. Let them give her to us.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #3502
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I'm stoked about the Inferno omni. So many good X-Men omnis coming in 2021.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #3503
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It's not rare, it's just expensive. If you're willing to spend the money, you will always find someone willing to part with theirs. The "status" is in the higher price tag.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but "rare" is misused like "grail". None of this stuff is rare, it's artificial scarcity. Edition sizes are based on what these companies think the market will bear, because they don't want to be left with unsold product. As small as the edition size is, this is a small hobby.

Maybe 20 years from now, you could say finding a piece undamaged or still factory sealed is rare. Right now, if you're willing to pay top market, you can shake a mint one loose from someone's hands within a week
What do you consider rare? Like an ES of 1?

It's expensive because it is rare, if Storm had an ES of 5000 I guarantee you it wouldn't cost $3000+
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #3504
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
What do you consider rare? Like an ES of 1?

It's expensive because it is rare, if Storm had an ES of 5000 I guarantee you it wouldn't cost $3000+
No. If it wasn’t well made it wouldn’t matter. The Rogue Maquette has an ES of 1250 but it’s value still increased.

The truth is there was little demand for the XM Storm when she was up for preorder. XM didn’t purposefully decide on a low ES for her. So let’s not act like XM did this for the collectors. Sure sellers are asking for 2000-3000 but that doesn’t mean people are lining up to purchase either.
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:34 PM   #3505
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
No. If it wasn’t well made it wouldn’t matter. The Rogue Maquette has an ES of 1250 but it’s value still increased.

The truth is there was little demand for the XM Storm when she was up for preorder. XM didn’t purposefully decide on a low ES for her. So let’s not act like XM did this for the collectors. Sure sellers are asking for 2000-3000 but that doesn’t mean people are lining up to purchase either.
They had like a two-month window to preorder her unlike Sideshow where you have years to order... Plus you have to know where to buy her if you wanted her given she's a gray market statue for most places.

BTW, Rogues EX Edition Size was 1000 according to Sideshow website... It is crazy to see some people willing to spend an extra $1000 just for 1 additional portrait... based on what a few of EX Rogue sold for on eBay... Plus you can still buy the regular Rogue on SS website for $700 which already has the best looking portrait of the two IMO... Just make sure to get her between SS fake sellouts

Bottom Line: My XM Storm can kick your SS Rogue butt any day of the week
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #3506
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
They had like a two-month window to preorder her unlike Sideshow where you have years to order... Plus you have to know where to buy her if you wanted her given she's a gray market statue for most places.

BTW, Rogues EX Edition Size was 1000 according to Sideshow website... It is crazy to see some people willing to spend an extra $1000 just for 1 additional portrait... based on what a few of EX Rogue sold for on eBay... Plus you can still buy the regular Rogue on SS website for $700 which already has the best looking portrait of the two IMO... Just make sure to get her between SS fake sellouts

Bottom Line: My XM Storm can kick your SS Rogue butt any day of the week
I collect old comics; golden age and early silver age. So my bias is, for something to be rare it has to be hard to get regardless of price or whether or not you have the money to throw at it. There are comics which take years to pop up for sale in any condition because there are so few in existence and most of them are locked up in collections. That's how I define rare. What is happening with that Storm isn't based on rarity, it's based on simple supply and demand. Rare means good luck getting one even if you're willing to pay crazy money, whereas Storm, and most statues, aren't hard to get if you're willing to spend. That's the distinction in my mind.

And what you're describing with Rogue has always been the case with exclusives; people will pay a silly premium to get an extra switch-out, or in some cases a crappy print or piece of cloth. Because it has that "king of the nerds" appeal.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #3507
Peedi
The Secret Six

How often does XM Storm pop up on eBay though? No guesses. But it isn’t often. Maybe she’s for sale on Facebook groups or elsewhere. I haven’t seen it on eBay in a while.

I agree with Darren, demand for her wasn’t there. It doesn’t matter if there was a 2 month window to order her. SS often sets ES within time frame. The only difference is XM sets the ES based exactly on those preorders received, where SS uses the preorders to set a larger ES for extended sales. If more people wanted Storm that ES would’ve been higher. More people wanted her once they saw she turned out extremely well and realized her ES was low so they felt they missed out.

And let’s be real, I love Storm, she’s my favorite super heroine, but SS’s original PF had ES 1000 and 500, for X-Men at the time that was among the lowest ES. How big of a seller in 1/4 is Storm? The face on the PF was an issue in the original pics when revealed so that threw people off, and the XM was under the MTO system, so each Storm release has had some sort of snag from a customer perspective, but I think the next SS PF, if well received, will be very telling. I think there’s a very vocal group that wants Storm but Rogue, Psylocke, Jean, are probably more widely desired. But we’ll see.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 AM   #3508
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
How often does XM Storm pop up on eBay though? No guesses. But it isn’t often. Maybe she’s for sale on Facebook groups or elsewhere. I haven’t seen it on eBay in a while.

I agree with Darren, demand for her wasn’t there. It doesn’t matter if there was a 2 month window to order her. SS often sets ES within time frame. The only difference is XM sets the ES based exactly on those preorders received, where SS uses the preorders to set a larger ES for extended sales. If more people wanted Storm that ES would’ve been higher. More people wanted her once they saw she turned out extremely well and realized her ES was low so they felt they missed out.

And let’s be real, I love Storm, she’s my favorite super heroine, but SS’s original PF had ES 1000 and 500, for X-Men at the time that was among the lowest ES. How big of a seller in 1/4 is Storm? The face on the PF was an issue in the original pics when revealed so that threw people off, and the XM was under the MTO system, so each Storm release has had some sort of snag from a customer perspective, but I think the next SS PF, if well received, will be very telling. I think there’s a very vocal group that wants Storm but Rogue, Psylocke, Jean, are probably more widely desired. But we’ll see.
May 17th
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:08 AM   #3509
built2shred
Phoenix

It's funny when someone said that Storm was going for $4k I jokingly said damn I should sell mine, I actually got a few emails asking if I was selling her

Yes I know that statues are not Action Comics #1 rare, but were talking two different categories, I'm just talking about rareness within the statue community....

I doubt statues will ever be like comics as most statues don't age well with time, as better techniques come out we get more realistic looking statues, so I'm not sure anyone will want a XM Storm 30 years from now, odds are there will be dozens of Storms that put the older ones to shame...

But for now in the present Storm is rare
Old 08-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #3510
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
May 17th
Nearly 3 months ago. It doesn’t have to be considered rare, I don’t care, but at this point if there’s none for sale it isn’t necessarily easy to get. Even if one has the money for it, it would still have to be available for sale. We’ll see how often they’re available going forward. And in the future once SS does theirs we’ll see how many become available.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote