Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #721
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgesicleMan View Post
LOL. As they say, you can't please everyone.

I'm sorry but this statue is near perfect in every way.
No he did say he's somewhat pleased with her
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #722
SludgesicleMan
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
No he did say he's somewhat pleased with her
Of course! How could you not? Best 1/6th scale statue this year. Best Starfire statue that might ever be made. you can't ask for much more.
SludgesicleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #723
French Cancan
Deadman

Thank you both. ( hmm I mean Pdenham and Grphyx1)

I don't know, beautiful...
Maybe it's better if you ask Pdenham..
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #724
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

pdenham
I definitely can see your point and where you’re coming from and I did think also Perez drew her more with a round head or face and the hair was a lot more
Even though I do see a lot of Perez in the statue I do see some Adam Hughes and Mike McKone as well
I am still on the fence about purchasing this but I do have to agree with a lot of other people on this site this is probably one of the best StarFire statues ever made.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #725
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Somewhat image intensive, and probably not entirely phone friendly, so venture in at your own risk.

Spoiler

’m going to get into the weeds here, fully cognizant that for 99% of collectors on these boards, these will amount to shoulder shrug worthy differences.
But since you asked, here goes.

The big differences are in the hair, the face, and to a certain extent, the spirit (or lack of) on display.

In terms of Hair-
The statue actually tones down the Perez hair quite a bit and changes it's essential character from large bulbous curls to shorter, straighter locks. The volume that Perez (and the artists that superseded him but who followed his model sheet religiously), depicted was insanely extravagant.

t also repeats an essential characteristic that is found in her face and in her features- everything is based on circular shapes.

Most people may look at this TH statue and see “big hair” and that’s enough. I understand that.

The actual structure on the statue, though, is triangular. While relatively bigger, than someone like Donna Troy for example, it’s still far less voluminous at the crown (than the Perez design) , while only expanding out as you get lower.
In the illo directly above, as well as the model sheets you posted, you can see Perez designed the hair to be expansive in every direction, almost as if it's on the verge of engulfing her face.

To my eyes, the way the sculptor rendered the hair on this Tweeterhead piece, the art looks more like it was based off some other artist doing their own stylistic spin on the Perez Starfire design, rather than art by Perez himself . Frankly I see more of an artist like Michael Turner or J. Scott Campbell in this than I do Perez.

It's definitely the Perez costume and design of the character, but looks filtered through another artists style even prior to the actual sculpt.

For most of the demographic buying this, I’m sure that’s more of a virtue than a sin. And I’m not denigrating anyone's preference with that, I’m just trying to read the room.

That’s one key difference to me.
Another is in the facial structure and features.

Perez didn’t draw this, but to me this is clearly a “Perez Starfire” - most particularly in terms of the portrait.

The shape of the face is rounder, the eyes are larger and rounder (with no irises).
Another quality is the absence of sharply defined structure in the nose bridge.
This is another area, on the statue, where I see an art style that would be more consistent with an artist more like a Turner or a Campbell. Maybe not either of them specifically, but more in the direction of various '90's era artists I've seen, who were given liberty to deviate from model sheet exactness and were encouraged to make slight alterations according to their own stylistic whims.

Perez’s Kory combines the kind of wider, rounder face you might see in Eastern Europeans (or some equatorial Latin/South Americans), with the delicacy of nose/bridge structure you would see in many Asian - or probably more precisely, children’s - faces.

That last is really an essential point that I hesitate to harp on because it will most likely skeeve a lot of people out.

Kory's whole thing was that she was child-like, and Perez used her features to subliminally hammer that point in.

Even the whole "big hair" conceit was a way to give her a bigger head/smaller body kind of appearance- which are more child-like proportions.

It's almost as if the TH is a Starfire that is suitably 'aged up" to be "safe" for leering, middle aged men.

Ultimately, you could probably boil the differences down to three “S”s- Shape; Size; Spirit.

In regard to that last quality-
Kory , when I read the book anyway, was frequently portrayed as a joyous, childlike spirit- no trace of self consciousness - almost always happy, enthusiastic, excited, smiling.
On the flip side, when she was roused to anger, she burned with a white hot wrath.
Generally extremes in either direction (which is also in keeping with that whole child-like nature)

The placid, cipher-like expression on this statue doesn’t allude to any of that.

Even if the sculptor had gotten all those earlier aesthetic aspects I laid out, but had left the same blank look, I would have noticed, and bemoaned the fact, she was still missing something elemental.

So yeah, the TH statue is nice.
It’s nice to see the costume in three dimensions (and larger than the Icon Heroes piece), and the body is nicely sculpted, and the colors are great, and the portrait is attractive -for what it is.

For most people, I realize, all that is more than enough.

For myself- I’ll enjoy this for what it offers, but I'll still be pining away for a “real” Perez Starfire- something that fully captures the character that entranced me forty years ago.
I see where you're coming from in a way... a lot of what you said is why I don't like the SSC Starfire (especially their oval and angular face where she should be circular- that drives me insane each time I see it).

But past that, this TH Starfire is the best rendition of the character in statue form and probably the closest you'll ever get to a “real” Perez Starfire.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #726
pdenham
Teen Titans

I tend to keep forgetting that while my relationship to these characters is pretty fixed in certain eras, many decades past, more people here came to this stuff later. I stopped religiously following these books about the same time most people here had just begun.
These character have had many permutations over the last thrity-five or so years while I haven't been following them.

I don't recognize any of the Starfires I see from the last twenty years. I wouldn't be surprised if the cartoon "GO" version is more recognizable to more people than the Perez version- despite having been a part of some phenomenal early storylines.

So in that sense, I can see where something like this statue would be the epitome of a certain distant era, whereas someone like myself sees it missing key details.

In any case, it's a attractive piece, with some lovely compositional elements that distinctly set it off from the rest of the line so far.

Unless you are hung up on the aspects I went over in an earlier post, I can't imagine any fan of the character from that era not enjoying this one.

mmk123- you're right. Hughes and McKone are probably closer to what I had in mind. Senior moment, that I couldn't recall them at the time.
And yeah, there probably won't be any other Starfires made anytime soon that will be any closer to a "definitive" Perez era one than this.
I still feel the Icon Heroes is 100% spot on to his art style- but the actual product itself has too many issues or restrictions for me to ever recommend it to anyone else.
It's out of production now anyway.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #727
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Just curious - would anyone else be bothered enough by this to try and get it replaced? I am so over getting damaged stuff that I really feel like just letting this go. I know this is small and I can pretty much just turn it out of view. On the other hand, it IS pretty easy to spot if I don't. I guess there could be worse defects, although I sure don't have any in this line.

This was WAY worse looking out-of-the-box. A magic eraser got rid of the rest of the gunk in that area, but those last two spots will not go away. There is one other area below it that has a "stain" effect (there is an outline of a slightly darker paint color), but I can't really get that to photograph.

And I have no idea how that magic eraser didn't do damage - I tested it on my original Superman first after remembering reading someone mention it in this forum, but didn't notice the magic eraser had turned blue where I tested it on Superman until after I used it on Starfire and noticed the orange on the eraser... still, there is no sign I did anything in the area the eraser was used other than most of whatever crap was on it being gone. Guess it really is "magic". Just not magic enough to get rid of it all.

BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:03 AM   #728
mmk123

Brandon, if it really bothers you then I would see about getting a replacement. Did you get it from Tweeterhead directly or another vendor?

If it is not noticeable when when it is displayed and you cannot see it at all then I would not bother with the return. Maybe trying again in a day or two with the magic eraser then maybe it would work again.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #729
SDguy

I would try just a regular pink eraser first. You don't want to use a magic eraser, as that will remove any top coat, and even paint, if you are not careful.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #730
mmk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I would try just a regular pink eraser first. You don't want to use a magic eraser, as that will remove any top coat, and even paint, if you are not careful.
Thank you for the tip about the magic eraser SDguy.