Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 07-21-2022, 11:38 PM   #31
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Yeah, but the maquette with the darker paintjob is the neutral pose. If this ECC piece is meant to be a recreation of the posed Winston maquette, the colors they chose are closer, no?

Unless by "proper," you mean according to the film?
The maquette used as an inspiration by ECC was made after the movie, and later used during TLW production as a reference for the female.

Every 1:5 maquette used during the actual production of Jurassic Park on the other hand, including those sent to ILM as reference or the one in Spielberg office, all had the darker paintjob.
Since this is supposed to be a Jurassic Park piece, would imo make sense to make the piece look like the animal seen in the film.
VickPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:15 AM   #32
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Lots of new info in a stunning video of the piece thanks to Jurassic Corner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xumCqj0Yk

So the piece is part of the 30th Anniversary of Jurassic Park, made in collaboration with Stan Winston Studio, and limited to 700.

And looks sufficiently big here, definitely bigger than the Super Colossal T-Rex unless the perspective is throwing me off.

Just give it to me already!
Old 07-22-2022, 12:31 AM   #33
chalback
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Dam this is looking awesome need to find out who is going to carry this, this will be my first ecc
chalback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:37 AM   #34
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickPS View Post

P.S. If someone knows how to contact ECC, i would gladly beg them to use the proper paint scheme.
Phone: (818) 787-4514
Fax: (818) 787-8999
Toll-free: (866) 869-8606 FREE
e-mail: info@cinemaquette.com
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:43 AM   #35
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickPS View Post
The maquette used as an inspiration by ECC was made after the movie, and later used during TLW production as a reference for the female.

Every 1:5 maquette used during the actual production of Jurassic Park on the other hand, including those sent to ILM as reference or the one in Spielberg office, all had the darker paintjob.
Since this is supposed to be a Jurassic Park piece, would imo make sense to make the piece look like the animal seen in the film.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I definitely prefer darker colors, but can't fault ECC if they want to stick to the color scheme of the piece this was based on. To that end, maybe darkening the eyes or their borders would help to integrate them more? Add a bit more orange? The follow effect is cool, no doubt, but because the depth wasn't fine-tuned, it feels like accuracy was sacrificed for a gimmick.

The idea behind this is great. Reminds me of the old Sideshow 1/4 Predator maquette in that it's a scaled-down replica of a SWS piece that wasn't used in production, but is iconic in its own right. Same with the CoolProps 1/3 Big Chap, recreating the museum display of Giger's concept sculpture.

I'll have to think about this. On one hand, it's cool having miniature versions of classic studio displays and this one is priced quite reasonably (with a nice ES to boot!). On the other hand, I'd sell it in a heartbeat if someone made a TLW Buck in similar size.

...on yet another hand (there's something in the water where I live), selling it probably won't be difficult and I might even manage to turn a profit. The only way this isn't a megahit is if it's not marketed well.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:44 AM   #36
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlysober View Post
Who carries ECC pieces, anyone care to share?
Cinemaquette.com

They are basically the same company.

FYI they also made the 1:1 Raptors and 1:5 Rex pieces for Chronicle.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:47 AM   #37
Blade3327
Nightwing

Seems like some of the details have been flattened and shrunk down. The folds around the lips and the neck are much chunkier on the original maquette, giving it a nice variation of high and low frequency detail.

TL;DR: If you squint, the original maquette still has a lot of definition whereas the ECC feels smooth in comparison.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:09 AM   #38
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Phone: (818) 787-4514
Fax: (818) 787-8999
Toll-free: (866) 869-8606 FREE
e-mail: info@cinemaquette.com
Perfect!

Quote:
Seems like some of the details have been flattened and shrunk down. The folds around the lips and the neck are much chunkier on the original maquette, giving it a nice variation of high and low frequency detail.

TL;DR: If you squint, the original maquette still has a lot of definition whereas the ECC feels smooth in comparison.
That's a super compressed image though. From the IG post:

"Worthy of consideration:
- Different angle
- Compared to most 1:5 Maquettes made during the production of Jurassic Park, the SWS piece featured here had a longer set of teeth installed
- Acrylic/glass eyes used on the ECC piece, as usually happens, give the impression of following the viewer
"

Here details on the head look much better for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xumCqj0Yk

Also consider the scale difference. I'd say they did a pretty good job for the size, this in theory should be smaller than the Chronicle 1:9 (looks much bigger though) and that version also had a scaled down 1:5 head nowhere near the actual 1:5 one in terms of details.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:20 AM   #39
oddlysober
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Cinemaquette.com

They are basically the same company.

FYI they also made the 1:1 Raptors and 1:5 Rex pieces for Chronicle.
Thanks you much for the link. I'll keep an eye out whenever this piece goes up for PO.
oddlysober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #40
VickPS
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I definitely prefer darker colors, but can't fault ECC if they want to stick to the color scheme of the piece this was based on. To that end, maybe darkening the eyes or their borders would help to integrate them more? Add a bit more orange?
Well, black sockets and bright yellow eyes are sort of the JP T-Rex trademark. Simply adding them back in Dominion made people finally praise the model as accurate to Rexy for the first time.

On the Chronicle 1:5 glass eyes are darker, i wouldn't mind some variety.

Quote:
I'll have to think about this. On one hand, it's cool having miniature versions of classic studio displays and this one is priced quite reasonably (with a nice ES to boot!). On the other hand, I'd sell it in a heartbeat if someone made a TLW Buck in similar size.
A Buck model would be harder to make though, as a full 1:5 version was never made. They would have to use the 1:5 head on top of a modified female body. Would be absolutely stunning though.

Quote:
...on yet another hand (there's something in the water where I live), selling it probably won't be difficult and I might even manage to turn a profit. The only way this isn't a megahit is if it's not marketed well.
Yeah, i'm sure you would easily find another owner.

However, why not both?