Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #31
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I don't get this. Get a black director just because it's a black character?
That isn't said anywhere in the article. So do you think Ava Duvernay is an unsuitable director for Black Panther and that the only reason why she's being chosen is because she's black?
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
MrYac
Hercules

Probably, same reason they are making such a big deal getting a woman to direct Wonder Woman. It's all the PC game in Hollywood, people would complain to high heaven if a white person was chosen and you know it.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #33
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Probably, same reason they are making such a big deal getting a woman to direct Wonder Woman. It's all the PC game in Hollywood, people would complain to high heaven if a white person was chosen and you know it.
I will ask you the same question. Do you think Ava Duvernay is an unsuitable director for Black Panther and that the only reason why she's being chosen is because she's black?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #34
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Here is what the lady herself has to say about directing a Marvel studios film.
https://youtu.be/UgeYujXAi3U

Personally I think that she is too auteur to work for Feige and Marvel Studios (which is a total compliment btw). The experiences of a list of directors, Whedon being the most recent, who have left the Studio either mid or post project and refuse returning to work on a sequel is quite astonishing TBH.

In film criticism, auteur theory holds that a film reflects the director's personal creative vision, as if they were the primary "auteur" (the French word for "author").

Last edited by Matches Malone; 05-15-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #35
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Looking at her filmatography it's too early to describe her as a great director. I did enjoy Selma though.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #36
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I will ask you the same question. Do you think Ava Duvernay is an unsuitable director for Black Panther and that the only reason why she's being chosen is because she's black?
looking at her credits I see nothing that would suggest she is the best person for an action comic book movie.

and while i'm sure she's a fine director do you honestly feel she wasn't prioritized for this particular job because she's black?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #37
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
looking at her credits I see nothing that would suggest she is the best person for an action comic book movie.

and while i'm sure she's a fine director do you honestly feel she wasn't prioritized for this particular job because she's black?
I think the director of the movie Selma would be considered no matter what their race if they are affordable.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #38
MrYac
Hercules

Haha, yes and the movie Selma would've been directed by a white guy these days I'm sure.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #39
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I have to agree with Bullseye that the filmography doesn't support her as a choice for a CBM but on the other hand the same can be said for likes of the Russo brothers and James Gunn.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 05-16-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Exactly, maybe people have some sort of subconscious checklist as to what qualifies for a good CBM director these days. Let's forget Duvernay or any body else for now.

What matters for a CBM director is what really matters for any movie. Someone who does characters, drama and story well. Sometimes it's more action, sometimes it's more emotions and character conflicts.

Director Richard Kelly has done one great film and followed it up with two other movies. Still based on his debut, I would also add him in my wishlist of directors for some more sci-fi or CBM franchises. Same case with director Bong Joon-ho who did one of my fav movies of 2014, Snowpiercer. Same goes for Dan Gilroy who did Nightcrawler. In the same league Selma was another great film of 2014, so if Marvel is interested in Ava Duvernay it sounds promising enough for me.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote