Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #22501
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I loved this movie, it was stylish and funny. The truck sandwich/wine scene was pure gold.
That was a funny scene. Overall I think the leads played really well off one another. I can totally see why Cavill has been an advocate for Hammer joining the DCEU in some capacity now. I just wish there was a little more meat for them to chew on in terms of their mission in this film. I'd definitely be on board for a sequel, though I'm not sure the success of this film will merit one.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #22502
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Wonder Woman 6.5/10
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #22503
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Wonder Woman 8/10 really good superhero movie but not seeing why people are saying its the best superhero movie ever.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #22504
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Captain Fantastic - 8/10

Never really heard anything about this, but my wife made me watch this yesterday and I loved it. It's very much in the vein of Wild and Hunt for the Wilder People, and it's got a great cast of kids with a perfect performance from Vigo Mortensen as always. Bit preachy at times, but a really great film that always has you wondering whether this guy is a good dad or not.
I remember when it was in theaters, but didn't watch it until after Viggo Mortensen got an Oscar nomination for it this year. Very good movie.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #22505
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Wow, first bad rating! Do you think it's the worst of the current DC Universe movies?
Not the worst. I may have been a bit harsh in my rating. It was just so easy and simple. Step 1, step 2, step 3... done. I just don't feel like they tried very hard. Could be the editing. It was just kind of bland to me. Special FX were great, but that can't save a movie.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #22506
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Not the worst. I may have been a bit harsh in my rating. It was just so easy and simple. Step 1, step 2, step 3... done. I just don't feel like they tried very hard. Could be the editing. It was just kind of bland to me. Special FX were great, but that can't save a movie.
This was my biggest issue as well, very formulaic. That seems to be what the masses want however when it comes to superhero films. Straightforward storytelling with the emphasis on humanizing the protagonist, not developing the antagonist and generally playing it safe has been the template for great success with the majority of the Marvel films. Now Wonder Woman seems to be benefiting from the same formula.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #22507
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
This was my biggest issue as well, very formulaic. That seems to be what the masses want however when it comes to superhero films. Straightforward storytelling with the emphasis on humanizing the protagonist, not developing the antagonist and generally playing it safe has been the template for great success with the majority of the Marvel films. Now Wonder Woman seems to be benefiting from the same formula.
Exactly. This is why no super hero movie will ever be a great film to me - at least not whilst implementing the current formula. They can only be good. Not great.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #22508
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Exactly. This is why no super hero movie will ever be a great film to me - at least not whilst implementing the current formula. They can only be good. Not great.
I feel mostly the same. The few I do consider to be great are the ones that weren't afraid to take risks and try something different. Unfortunately a lot of the more complex narratives in these types of films are far too often frowned upon and labeled as "a mess." I get that studios are trying to make these characters accessible to general (non comic book reading) viewers but even if I wasn't as well-versed in comic book lore as I am I wouldn't be a fan of this linear style of storytelling.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #22509
SONICobra
Batman

i dont think the dark knight fell into that formula, seemed like the stakes started off high and continued to climb as the movie went along - escalation... the last two cap movies kept things interesting the whole way through as well imo
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #22510
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I feel mostly the same. The few I do consider to be great are the ones that weren't afraid to take risks and try something different. Unfortunately a lot of the more complex narratives in these types of films are far too often frowned upon and labeled as "a mess." I get that studios are trying to make these characters accessible to general (non comic book reading) viewers but even if I wasn't as well-versed in comic book lore as I am I wouldn't be a fan of this linear style of storytelling.
I'm going to go ahead and throw an amen on top o every aspect of that post. Well typed, brother.