Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #1711
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I would assume word reached Essos that Cersei has been stripped of power and thus unable to pay the bounty.
Possibly, but that said she's still a Lannister and given they "always pay their debts" I'd imagine someone would be willing to take a chance.

I think a more likely explanation is they're on the other side of the sea and either few care or even know who he is or that there is/was a bounty on his head.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #1712
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I used to watch a show called "Outlander" about some English chick that uses a Stonehenge type thing to go back in time to 1400's Scotland. Anyway I just couldn't keep watching it, as it was kind of awful.

Anyway the guy who is Edmyr in GOT was "Black Jack Randle" in the 1400s and "Frank Randle" in modern times in Outlander and I couldn't stop thinking that when he showed up.

Kind of like I couldn't get over Walder Frey being Filch from Harry Potter.
Do you think of Dinklage as Miles Finch?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #1713
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Do you think of Dinklage as Miles Finch?
No, oddly his previous roles don't stick with me, I don't know why.

But when he did "Space Pants" on SNL i thought of him as Tyrion Lannister
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #1714
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Well I think that Arya has some sort of mystical power and has for a while. I'm not sure what it is, but she has it..
she has a mystical power alright....it's called bad writing
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #1715
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
she has a mystical power alright....it's called bad writing
I love this series but am inclined to agree here. Arya's arc after separating from the Hound has felt pointless to me. It's almost as if Martin, and by extension the show's producers, didn't know what to do with her but knew they wanted to keep her around. I don't necessarily have an issue with that but the amount of time devoted to her boring narrative was absurd given the outcome and how shallow it ultimately was.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #1716
MrYac
Hercules

yup, I always liked Arya....even though she was a little jerk for leaving the Hound to die like that. but her "adventures" in Bravos were just awful, from the pure boringness of her scrubbing floors for hours to the heavy handed way they had to beat it over the audiences head that Meryn Trant was a bad guy so that we'd all rejoice in her killing him to the down right Benny Hill level of buffoonery that was her escape from a person who was supposed to be a far superior assassin than her.

I've made it no secret I thought last season flat out sucked and sadly this season isn't really much better. there are a few stand out moments for sure but overall I am 100% convinced the writers really aren't that good at writing when they aren't completely piggybacking off of preexisting works and I've yet to see evidence otherwise with the Bravos story certainly not swaying me from that idea.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #1717
Babytoxie
Ghost

Agreed about the writers for this season. Overall, the drop in quality is noticeable.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #1718
johnclone
The Enchantress

I'd guess everyone by now has found out the title of this week's episode? I mean it is everywhere. I have a lot of hope for this one. Same director that did the "Hardhome" episode, I think that is the name, the one with all the wights and walkers, and all that. So he's got a history of producing some of the best visual battles the show has seen.

Looking around a bit online, I can see there's a lot of consensus about the handling of the Arya storyline didn't work. I was really disappointed, all this time I expected more from that, I don't know what exactly, just something. At the very least they could have kept the camera rolling in the dark, and we could have heard the duel between Arya and the waif, followed by the door opening, to reveal who won and who lost. I thought the face on the wall thing was pointless. As soon as you saw blood on the floor you knew Arya had won. But what exactly was the point of all this training of Arya to become an assassin, and will Jaqin show up again in the show? If the answers to those questions prove to be significant then maybe this will all make more sense in hindsight. But for now, it just feels very meh.

I'll say though, I think that a bad GOT episode is still way better than a lot of other things out there. I've enjoyed every episode this season, just some didn't quite hit the mark of excellence that the show is capable of.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #1719
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Based on the trailer for next week's episode it appears it will focus solely on the battle saving all the season wrap ups for the other character narratives for the final episode. Looks epic!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #1720
gomur
The Tick

True. When it comes to GoT, the penultimate episode is usually the grandest or jaw-dropping.

Ned's beheading.
Blackwater battle.
Red Wedding.
Night's Watch vs Wildlings at the Wall.
Sons of the Harpy meet Dany's Dragon.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote