Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 AM   #2191
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

In pretty much agree with IGNs review of the episode, too fast, too many details glossed over and no time in people's heads to ascertain what their actual approaches are.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #2192
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

There are a lot of interesting characters which are essentially sidelined as a result of the shorter season and lack of room to develop the narrative. Littlefinger and Cersei are interesting characters who have no room for character development.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #2193
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I've watched it 3 times now and no sign of undead giants in that crowd surrounding Jon's walker hunting party....I wonder what the Knight King has them up to?
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #2194
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I've watched it 3 times now and no sign of undead giants in that crowd surrounding Jon's walker hunting party....I wonder what the Knight King has them up to?
They're busy making those damn chains to haul crap.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #2195
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

You know what would have made this episode all the more tense and better paced? all those conversations between the members of the Suicide Squad could have happened on the rock, as they dwindle down their provisions and talk becomes more free as they all think they're going to die. It would have made it seem like they were there for days while the dead waited for the lake to freeze over again, and given the time it took for Gendry and the raven's travels.

With only the skeleton of a plan from GRRM this whole series had had some pacing issues. This sort of stuff needs a bit of quality control. I'm enjoying this series, but it's not as tight as some of the previous seasons.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #2196
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #2197
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Another issue with the pacing is that I am still having a hard time believing that Cersei is really pregnant. I mean, maybe she really isn't, but I'm given more doubt since we saw the afterglow of her sex with Jamie once, then he went off to battle, AND came back to her preggers.

Another scene that would be great with the build-up is Cersei marrying Uron Greyjoy. Oh man that would piss so many people off and make great tension. But nope, we will probably zoom past that.

I've made up my mind, I want the slow pacing back. But that will never happen. So I will just have to settle for lots of CGI dragons and STILL NO SIGN (or mention) OF GHOST!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #2198
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm not sure I understand the rush to tie this series up but I don't think anyone can deny it absolutely exists. Even Alan Taylor, the Director of last week's episode, acknowledges the challenges of overcoming the time jumps in the narrative. This season easily could've been fleshed out further without feeling bloated over an additional 5-6 episodes. All I can attribute this to is the cast, crew and writers are growing wary of of the production because its popularity certainly hasn't wained. The other possibility is HBO just wants to wrap it up because they notoriously end series prematurely, often times without a satisfying conclusion.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #2199
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I'm not sure I understand the rush to tie this series up but I don't think anyone can deny it absolutely exists. Even Alan Taylor, the Director of last week's episode, acknowledges the challenges of overcoming the time jumps in the narrative. This season easily could've been fleshed out further without feeling bloated over an additional 5-6 episodes. All I can attribute this to is the cast, crew and writers are growing wary of of the production because its popularity certainly hasn't wained. The other possibility is HBO just wants to wrap it up because they notoriously end series prematurely, often times without a satisfying conclusion.
I think the source material being no longer available is also a factor. HBO did fine when adapting the books to the screen, but now that they are essentially writing the books themselves based on just plotlines from Martin, they are faltering a little. It's not their strength so best to wrap it up.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #2200
Demona
Martian Manhunter

With all of the extensive location shoots (which are amazing!) and production work that is involved I bet people are over it. Usually most shows run 7 season before the cast/crew are spent. And those are usual cable comedies/dramas that don't span the globe.

Did anybody else watch the Behind The Scenes making of last week's episode? They shot exteriors in Iceland. Then went over to Ireland and constructed the ice lake from scratch. WTH?! Amazeballs.

Every week I look at the clothes and I'm enamored with the details. The winter coats of the Merry Band of Beyond The Wall Misfits, Cersei's dresses, Sansa's dress, Dani's amazing wardrobe and dragonhead chain (which I am OBSESSED with). All of that has to be intensive and costly.

To the credit of HBO, it is hard to end a series well. Beloved series rarely end the way we all want them to. Off the top of my head, series that ended perfectly to the rest of their entire run are: Everybody Loves Raymond, M.A.S.H., Breaking Bad, and Mary Tyler Moore. (Yes, I watched a lot of NickAtNite with my dad). I'm sure that GoT will NOT be added to this list. There is too much detail to have all the points wrapped up. I just hope they don't phone it in like LOST. God, I still want to punch the writers right in the face for that entire last season and crap ending. Sopranos, I didn't hate the ending though I know plenty who did.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote