Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Tushar
Hellboy

Marvel bishoujo shenanigans

First Psylocke and now Captain Marvel. That's two bishoujos Marvel has vetoed.

I've suspected this before and voiced my concerns in other posts... is the bishoujo line too sexy for the new Marvel?

The recent Mavrvel bishoujos have been toned down is sexuality severely, compared to past Marvel bishoujos and present bishoujos from the likes of DC and Street Fighter, and yet Marvel continues to find it fit for cancellations. Why do you think that is?

Is this a trend?

Let's talk.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Tushar
Hellboy

Personally, Captain Marvel can rot in hell for all I care. I was really looking forward to that Psylocke, though. And I was hoping for re-releases or version twos of many other X-ladies.

I'm really bummed out.

Silver lining: I hope Koto focuses all their freed up time and resources into DC bishoujos.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

That's a shame, I hope DC keeps them going, still tons of characters I want to see in this great line.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
elvirawynter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
First Psylocke and now Captain Marvel. That's two bishoujos Marvel has vetoed.

I've suspected this before and voiced my concerns in other posts... is the bishoujo line too sexy for the new Marvel?

The recent Mavrvel bishoujos have been toned down is sexuality severely, compared to past Marvel bishoujos and present bishoujos from the likes of DC and Street Fighter, and yet Marvel continues to find it fit for cancellations. Why do you think that is?

Is this a trend?

Let's talk.

Certainly not a trend and my question was answered earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

I will share what I can about this situation.

The Captain Marvel Bishojo is not cancelled, but rather delayed until sometime in 2020.

We are canceling orders since the release date is now so far in the future. It will be re-solicited at a later date.

Kotobukiya still retains the rights to create Marvel Bishoujo statues.

This is an unfortunate delay that was out of our control but I hope fans will not give up on the Marvel Bishoujo line. More characters are in the works!
elvirawynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
mickey
The Avengers

Hi guys! Been a while since I visited this forum. What's up with the Psylocke bishoujo? Has the 2nd edition been cancelled? Keep me up to date! Thanks!
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

It was canceled at Marvel's request. There was no specific reason given.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
It was canceled at Marvel's request. There was no specific reason given.
Whoa... That's a bummer And I here I was looking forward to getting her this time around...

Grr! Now I'm curious why! >< Wonder if it's because it was kinda sexy. But it didn't look slutty. Not to me at least... Hot, yeah. But t'was tasteful.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Tushar
Hellboy

Yeah, it wasn't slutty. I think it's possible that the bishoujo line itself is so associated with sexiness that Marvel is trying to distance itself from it.

The recent Marvel bishojos have featured costumes that don't expose any skin. (Except for Lady Thor, but that too is minimal.)

And Marvel comics costumes are changing in a similar fashion.

There is still merch from other companies currently in development that feature sexy Marvel costumes, but these recent events in this line lead me to believe that Marvel is figuring out their bishoujo game.

Good news is that Koto says they still have the rights and new statues will come out. Let's hope.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Gothamite
Phoenix

"Sexy" isn't the problem as there are other statues of the same characters with provocative costumes or poses. Rather, bishoujos tend to look young, and that can send the wrong kind of message to the general public.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Tushar
Hellboy

https://www.kotous.com/retailstore/bishoujo/marvel.html

I see your point. But the earlier bishoujos looked much younger (Black Widow/ Sue Storm), and Marvel had no problems back then. The recent bishoujos do a decent job looking age-appropriate, IMO.

It's also worth noting that we keep getting bishoujos of teenage characters (Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Kitty, Jubilee) when there's plenty of adults in the Marvel they could've done instead.

The statement Gonk made about changed sensibilities is very telling. I don't know about the world, but the sensibilities around the offices of Marvel have certainly changed. They're more prudish now.