Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 11-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
cblakey1
Cyclops

Eliminating brushstrokes and bubbles

Someone mentioned one time using windex in their acrylic paint to avoid brushstrokes. What would the windex/paint ratio be and does it blend well?

Thanks!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

not sure what the ratio is but there is another product called flotrol that is great for this as well. i use about a 1/3 mix of flo to paint.

hey DAnno we need an answer.. or saul or John... any paint master help.... Rick are you around????? lol
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD View Post
not sure what the ratio is but there is another product called flotrol that is great for this as well. i use about a 1/3 mix of flo to paint.

hey DAnno we need an answer.. or saul or John... any paint master help.... Rick are you around????? lol
I’ve tried finding it at the Home Depot and they don’t have it. Of course asking anyone that works there where it is, I get the usual confused look.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
danfaz

I just use regular thinner. Adjust accordingly.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
I’ve tried finding it at the Home Depot and they don’t have it. Of course asking anyone that works there where it is, I get the usual confused look.
Dude, i was just there last night looking for this and they guy told me they only sold it by the gallon. i pointed at the price tag for the quart right under it that they were out of and said, then what's that for? he got real quite. Home Depot sucks.

I just went home and used some distilled water. worked fine for me.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i use floetrol. got it from home depot. it's in the house paint section, usually where the additives, dyes, and other "paint-related, but not quite wall paint" things are located.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Floetrol is basically a paint conditioner that in our hobby can be used for several things. Since it extends the "wet life" of the paint, it allows any hand brush artist to perform numerous effects such as blending, glazing, smoother base paint application, translucent effects and such. In the US, it can be purchased from any major paint store like Home Depot, Sherman Williams, Mautz, Hallman Lindsey, etc... Penetrol is basically very sililar except that it is used for oil based paints.

You can easily thin Floetrol with water and how much you add depends on what technique you are going to perform.

For airbrushing with Floetrol, I thin Floetrol with a 50/50 mix of water and Liquitex airbrush medium and thin heavy so that is is very thin and watery (this is also what can be used to thin for washes).

For glazing, I normally do not thin the Floetrol at all and mix about 30% paint to about 70% Floetrol for a nice translucent glaze. (Add more paint for more opaque effects)

For base coating, pour a small bit of paint into a mixing dish and add only a touch of Floetrol to help the paint spread smooth. This product really helps to avoid those unsightly brush marks.

Add a touch more Floetrol to your paint for blending and feathering the color.

Remember, the more Floetrol you add, the more translucent your paint becomes.

Windex is a completely different animal, you can use it to thin paints....but you will need to thin paint VERY heavy with Windex to avoid brush marks. The great thing about Windex is that is has detergent in it to help paint bond to the surface alond with ammonia to help the paint dry very fast. But test windex first as it can make the paint "craze" and turn gummy.

I hope this helps a little.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I hope this helps a little.
Thanks Dan, it helps ALOT! I'm going to the Depot tomorrow to jack them boys around 'til they find it for me!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Great tips Danno!
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Thanks danno!
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote