Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Spazzy
Hercules

Striations in the eyes....an easier way?

I am pretty good at getting the striations and have a steady hand but then I look at tutorials on gkc from Jim Capone and there is no comparison, damn near lifelike, I have tried all types of tools but just doesn't seem like I can get them thin enough.... Are the brushes on the site good? Kolibri? I have pretty fine brushes but wondering If those are even smaller.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
JJCap1
Frackin!

Spazzy...

Eyes can be a real pain. Lately I've been using a Loew Cornell "La Corneille" 7000 series 18/0 round. I get my brushes at Michael's and simply buy the smallest ones I can find. Get the "professional" grade. Thanks for the compliment.
JJCap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm fond of Winsor & Newton Series 7 watercolor brushes. They are not cheap, but I try to catch them on sale. I've tried cheaper brands but I have yet to find their equal. I used to use the 000 size a lot for tiny details, but anymore I don't often go below a size 1. I can get pretty fine detail just using the very tip, and the brush lasts longer than the smaller ones.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Spazzy
Hercules

Thanks for the tips guys! And Jim wow love your paint ups! I have learned so much with your tutorials. I have an OCD when it comes to brushes will probably get all listed here to try out thanks!!

I have been getting better at eyes I have only done a handful of pieces but my first eyes I did took me around 11 retries to get it right, now I am sitting around 2-3 retries...practice makes perfect
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
JJCap1
Frackin!

I recently spent an over an hour trying to get just the size, shape and position of irises exact.
JJCap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

This is a website where I've found the best prices/sales in the past on Winsor & Newton brushes. It's been a long time since I've shopped there (I was pretty well stocked) and it looks like they may have changed things up a bit - I don't remember there being "member prices". Might be worth looking into what membership is all about: http://www.aswexpress.com/
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCap1 View Post
I recently spent an over an hour trying to get just the size, shape and position of irises exact.

I feel your pain, they are my most feared part they can really make or break the statue, and being off just a bit is very noticeable.

Went to michaels today and got some brushes and online they have a 45% off coupon and in store but 2 get 1 free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounding View Post
This is a website where I've found the best prices/sales in the past on Winsor & Newton brushes. It's been a long time since I've shopped there (I was pretty well stocked) and it looks like they may have changed things up a bit - I don't remember there being "member prices". Might be worth looking into what membership is all about: http://www.aswexpress.com/
Thanks bud I will definitely try them out!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
avall15
Frackin!

Jim does do an amazing job with eyes and heck almost everything!
avall15 is offline   Reply With Quote