Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #101
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
damn that sucks!!! I was really looking forward to that fight.
Me too, I thought that should have been the main event. Oh well.

Michael Johnson was offered to Ferguson as a replacement, but he turned it down because it was not for the title and it would have been for less pay.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #102
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yeah that fight was the main event in my book. I'm so bummed now. I was looking forward to eating some wings and enjoying the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings. Now I may just skip it.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #103
strife87
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I want to preface this by saying GSP is my favourite fighter of all time. I've read his book, listened to his interviews, watched every fight, met him in person and he is just class all the way through.

But I do not think he should return.

Agree or disagree?
Gsp is my favorite fighter. That's a difficult question and I'm of two minds about it.

I'm interested to see him return as I've always seen him as a very smart fighter. I don't think he'd come back just to make some extra cash. While he hasn't competed for a few years I believe he still trains very regularly and keeps up with what's going on. By deciding to make his comeback, I think he has already gone over things like competition, weight cutting, etc. and has a plan in mind for the next couple fights.

If his comeback is simply to step in and fight bisping for the title and then relinquish it to move down or simply retire again if he wins, I would be a bit disappointed to be honest.

Finally, if he comes back and loses I can't view it as tarnishing his legacy. Jumping back to the top of competition after being out for years takes some serious drive. Instead of staying gone and being satisfied with what he's already accomplished, he's willing to go out and try to continue adding to it. To me, that's impressive in itself.

Best of luck Georges!
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #104
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Yeah that fight was the main event in my book. I'm so bummed now. I was looking forward to eating some wings and enjoying the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings. Now I may just skip it.
Go to Twin Peaks for the fight.
Better wings and you won't mind whatever isn't on the TVs as much especially if it's a lingerie week and you take some good friends.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #105
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Go to Twin Peaks for the fight.
Better wings and you won't mind whatever isn't on the TVs as much especially if it's a lingerie week and you take some good friends.
Never heard of it but looked it up and there isn't one anywhere near me.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #106
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
Gsp is my favorite fighter. That's a difficult question and I'm of two minds about it.

I'm interested to see him return as I've always seen him as a very smart fighter. I don't think he'd come back just to make some extra cash. While he hasn't competed for a few years I believe he still trains very regularly and keeps up with what's going on. By deciding to make his comeback, I think he has already gone over things like competition, weight cutting, etc. and has a plan in mind for the next couple fights.

If his comeback is simply to step in and fight bisping for the title and then relinquish it to move down or simply retire again if he wins, I would be a bit disappointed to be honest.

Finally, if he comes back and loses I can't view it as tarnishing his legacy. Jumping back to the top of competition after being out for years takes some serious drive. Instead of staying gone and being satisfied with what he's already accomplished, he's willing to go out and try to continue adding to it. To me, that's impressive in itself.

Best of luck Georges!
I agree with you that I don't think he would come back unless he knew he could contend. I do feel however the sport has changed. He obviously just wants to compete. We know he has more than enough money to stay retired. I just don't want people to have a reason to undermine him or his fighting legacy. I feel he already does because of how he fought previously - lot's of wrestling and ground work. So people don't think he's one of the best ever. I think people forget the division he fought in when he was champ though. Like every single person he fought was a murderer. Meanwhile they *cough*fed*cough* Silva people like Forrest who tend to block punches with his face... GSP did not get one easy fight his entire career and was still a dominant champ.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote