Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #401
Dreamland
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
That's not the point, no one can guess how the market is going to treat a collectible, it could be a hit or it could be a flop, I am sure alot of people assumed it would be a flop and there would be plenty on the secondary market because alot did not like the movie...so why would the collectibles be so hot? SO they snooze they lose, many people complaining not getting one ordered long after it was up for pre order, you were pretty much guaranteed getting one going through GG. Back to my last post of if I knew now what I did then and was not able to acquire one I would have paid at minumum $500, I think it is that good, I have paid more for less of a product. There is a reason she is so expensive it is an awesome statue, and most of the negative comments towards her is usually from people that do not have one or have not seen one in person.

Oh and I got her (reg ver) for $125+ shipping
Thats an amazing price you got her for you must be a true statue hunter!

I think Babydoll is my least favourite of all the Gentle Giant Suckerpunch statues. (my opinion) But I do like them all and believe that she is worth so much not because of her details but because of:
1. Her low ES,
2. The high demand for female statues
3. She is the lead character of the movie
Dreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #402
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
That's not the point, no one can guess how the market is going to treat a collectible, it could be a hit or it could be a flop, I am sure alot of people assumed it would be a flop and there would be plenty on the secondary market because alot did not like the movie...so why would the collectibles be so hot? SO they snooze they lose, many people complaining not getting one ordered long after it was up for pre order, you were pretty much guaranteed getting one going through GG. Back to my last post of if I knew now what I did then and was not able to acquire one I would have paid at minumum $500, I think it is that good, I have paid more for less of a product. There is a reason she is so expensive it is an awesome statue, and most of the negative comments towards her is usually from people that do not have one or have not seen one in person.

Oh and I got her (reg ver) for $125+ shipping
Congrats Spazzy that bought one so cheap. My point is that the going price of BD is based on the fact that because of the low ES the piece was hard to acquire at retail price outside of GG. Yes the sculpt is great and paint apps are great but so is Amber. Low ES drove the price increase on BD and not the piece itself. That was my point. The piece is good but not $800 good imo.

I think the SS BD PF has the potential to trump the GG BD on just about ever level as long as the factory can pull it off.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #403
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

This property does not excite me at all. Congrats to all that like this piece. Personally, I can see about 3 things that could go wrong with it: eyes, weird pose and stiff fabric for the skirt.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #404
margaritokostas
I am da law!

when is it going to be for preorder????
margaritokostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #405
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Congrats Spazzy that bought one so cheap. My point is that the going price of BD is based on the fact that because of the low ES the piece was hard to acquire at retail price outside of GG. Yes the sculpt is great and paint apps are great but so is Amber. Low ES drove the price increase on BD and not the piece itself. That was my point. The piece is good but not $800 good imo.

I think the SS BD PF has the potential to trump the GG BD on just about ever level as long as the factory can pull it off.
I disagree. First off, the paint on the Sideshow piece will not even come close to the paint quality on the GG piece. The promo shot has weird googly eyes, I can't imagine what the production piece will look like. Think She Hulk comiquette and Rogue PF.

Second, the Sideshow piece doesn't have Emily Browning's likeness. Sorry, but it looks like a girl with blonde pigtails. I even showed my friend the picture of the Sideshow piece last night (who has seen the movie many times) and the first thing he asked me is, "who's that supposed to be?"

Now, I will say there are pluses to the Sideshow piece. First, it's obviously an action pose and there are people that prefer that over a museum pose.

Second, we haven't seen the entire statue, so maybe the EX and base will make it amazing. The cloth looks really well done too (from what we can see).

All in all, I would say this is just Sideshow's attempt to TRY and outdo the GG piece or the Hot Toys piece, which are both much closer to looking like Baby Doll than this PF.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #406
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

SS Emily Browning is better looking than the child like Emily Browning
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #407
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The likeness with Sideshow's version was never going to look as close as GG's because the Gentle Giant version was a digital sculpt, so the facial proportions are all bang-on accurate. Sideshow's is more the sculptor's interpretation based on reference materials, and is perhaps slightly more idealised in terms of likeness.

That said, I do think it looks better in this latest preview, and it may look better again when we get the full reveal, so I'm still hoping to be impressed
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #408
thx217
Ultimates

Well...in fact, GG's BD was digital scanned and printed, not sculpted. And whether the subject is gonna be bang-on is HEAVILY depend on the material and production process. In GG's case, the look and shapes are there but lots of details has been lost and the paint job doesn't really help. That said, SS' version won't be any better if they don't pay enough attention to it.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #409
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'm just referring to the process as GG label it:

http://www.gentlegiantstudios.com/digital-sculpting/

As far as paint job, it's definitely what lets the sculpt down. Even so, the level of detailing and the uniformity of quality from one example to the next is a step above what Sideshow have been putting out recently. If SS's BD gets painted up by the same factory that did the 'Great' Ultron or Rogue then we're in trouble.
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #410
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomorph View Post
If SS's BD gets painted up by the same factory that did the 'Great' Ultron or Rogue then we're in trouble.
Indeed, my friend.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote