Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #751
built2shred
Phoenix

For those who don't like Mix Media SS Captain America and Thor are pure utter crap.... You can take all the pot shots you want at fully sculpted statues but for those who prefer fully sculpted statues these are superior to the original Pajama versions put out by SS.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #752
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
I currently own both (The new XM & the OG SS) - I'm selling XM's lol.. Don't get me wrong, it's a great statue. Everything about it SCREAMS quality - it's very well made. XM executed the statue perfectly, and they corrected what needed to be fixed (the salute) - but IMO, it's only nice as a stand alone piece. OR if it was displayed next to other pieces in the same museum pose and matching monumental bases. It's funny because I don't like dynamic pieces. I prefer museum posed statues but XM's Cap is TOOOOO "Museum-esq" Probablly the first statue you'd see if you walked into a Marvel Museum. XM's just doesn't fit well with the rest of my museum style collection and it feels really out of place. Look at the pic.. XM's would stick out like a sore thumb.. Just doesn't fit. :P

You say you own the XM version yet you don't post a picture of it. hmmmm
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #753
lucifixion
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

And I hate heavy shading, light and shadow don't work that way. It's easily the worst thing about the new SS Spider-Man. It looks cool in a painterly way, but makes no sense from a realism perspective, which is what they are trying to do.
lucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #754
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
You say you own the XM version yet you don't post a picture of it. hmmmm
I can vouch for Geck, he does own the SoL Cap and is currently trying to sell it. Unlike Falalalala, he gave it very high remarks in his review without attempting to nitpick it to death; however, he prefers the original PF to this one which I can totally appreciate.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #755
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarfallaha View Post
Seems like you're just trying to defend your piece. The SS PF is a superior piece, a lot of people that own both agreed with me, don't be so angry lolll SS PF has actual pants, the point of shading and texture is to replicate realism, if you literally have physical pants, why do you need to shade? Also, I wasn't nitpicking at all, actually there's a clear difference in shading on the upper part of the body and the lower part. Also if you are heavy shading the boots and the gloves, why not shade the rest the same way?? As for the shield weight, I did say it was something I don't like.. "I" don't like, lol if you don't like what I like/dislike don't watch. Anyway that's all I have to say about your comment, whether you agree or not, is up to you, but you don't have to be a dick about it. I own that piece just like you do and have the right to voice my opinion like you, I like my parts being heavy and my pieces well shaded jeez.. it's like I have to say only positive things about your statue or you'll get pissed lol grow up.
Subjective Omar....and I know a lot of people that own both and would say the exact opposite. I could desconstruct that OG Captain America to its compound with all the problems present IMO. Firstly, the portrait and the teeth of that SS CA is dowright ghastly..in conjuction with the poorly painted lips. Makes Steve look like he doesn't brush his teeth. Secondly, the musculature on that OG Cap is more bulky / bulbous and less defined than XM's Cap (both of them...more athletic). Third, what the frikkin hell is that SS Cap doing with his fingers? Did he just pick a booger out of his nose? Does he have rigor mortis onset? Fourth, mixed media, mixed media, mixed media really does nothing to accentuate the musculture of the leg sculpt...dust permeates the cloth and in warmer climates cause the material to fade. In addition, the reason XM doesn't need to shade the legs like you want is because the material of Captain America pants are of a more spandex / latex quality...which in fact the XM sculpt captures perfectly. That is also why there is no need for texture on that part. It's pretty clear that XM does tons of textures on their statues when it's warranted (i.e. Vulture, Mysterio, Punisher, etc.)From what I can see in pics...there is some subtle shading that results from natural light. The contour of the musculature does that all by itself. And who the hell would actually wear cloth / felt-like pants fighting crime? That doesn't make sense, and IMO is frankly not realisic at all. I can see Cap wearing a materil similar to Thanos on Throne for the pants...but again...that's not mixed media. In fact, why hasn't SS made a Captain America with similar materials for the pants it did for the OG SS PF? Curious....

Lastly, I do know what I am talking about with relation to the OG SS Captain America PF (regular) because I used to own it when it came out a decade ago. I also was the proud owner of the first XM Captain America (which IMO is the best Cap I have ever seen or owned). I do not own this current Honorary Cap, and will never own it, because firstly, I prefer dynamic posed statues over seated (throne) or museum (which you incorrectly labeled the first SS PF as dynamic) poses. There is nothing dynamic about that first SS Captain America PF just like there is nothing dynamic about the new XM Captain America. SS Spiderman is dynamic...XM Black Bolt is dynamic....Flash and Green Lantern from Prime 1 are dynamic statues.

Now, before I get jumped on by being some super defensive XM fan, this is not a defensive stance on the XM Cap itself...but more on what you and Aliz seem to have a difference of opinions on. Maybe this is none of my business. If what I say offended anyone, I apologize ahead of time. For the record, I enjoyed the video...and I enjoyed your honest opinion...but it doesn't mean that I or anyone else have to agree with everything you said either but it doesn't mean none of us didn't appreciate the video and the time it took for you to make it. I appreciate that brother and thanks again.

Trust me, Aliz and I have not agreed on everything either. Dr. Strange head sculpt comes to mind. He things it's booty and I think its damn near a perfect representation of how he would look coming from the comic panels. All our opinions are different...it's something that I continally try to work on everyday...taking exception and being outspoken about other's opinons that is.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #756
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
For those who don't like Mix Media SS Captain America and Thor are pure utter crap.... You can take all the pot shots you want at fully sculpted statues but for those who prefer fully sculpted statues these are superior to the original Pajama versions put out by SS.
After owning both versions and buying statues from both companies...I agree. FS all day for me. Mixed Media does have its place on some statues though.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #757
omarfallaha
Fantastic Four

Oh for sure, I'm not saying that others don't think something different from me, I'm just saying I'm allowed to voice my opinion as an owner of both and a keeper of both. I appreciate your civil approach to the way you voiced your opinion which btw I totally see where you're coming from. The XM cap has many things that are better on it than the OG SS (Example face sculpts like I stated in the review) and if anyone's an XM Fanboy it's me

Anyway it wasn't my intention to argue, it's just a video really, I was just replying to that other hostile idiot Alizwhatever lol
omarfallaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #758
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Pictures from Mike Misterski

"Another recent acquisition from XM. It can't be bad if it's Cap and this is no exception. Simple, but well executed statue. Love the swap out and the portraits. My favorite is the classic Cap. Well done XM and thank you once again!"

XM Studios Facebook --- XM Studios Europe Facebook

GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #759
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Damn that unmasked portrait is fantastic.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #760
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

If this guy ever drops down to $700 usd shipped stateside (like Hawkeye), I'm snagging him. Best Cap imo.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote