Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 AM   #341
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I feel like I should compare people's comments on the portrait of this and Zatanna. Because anybody who says Zatanna looks like a man, and doesn't say the same here is full of it. I liked both pieces and both are pretty, but I'm questioning some of you guys....

I'm sticking by my statement of not buying this statue because it's not how I like my Poison Ivy to look. I do like the base, but nothing about Ivy herself. And the way they positioned her body is going to be a displaying nightmare.

But hey - if you want to see her face, you don't see her back OR front which were the two biggest areas of debate. Was that your intention with the art direction on this, Igo?
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this.

I think this Zatanna looks like a man in drag.

*EDITED*

At first I thought maybe a WWF/WWE girl for Ivy and that's why the edit. But the more I look at it, the more I maybe see an Ivy man....
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 AM   #342
Conehead
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJ300 View Post
I’m noticing on the print she has some nice colours that pops out against the green. And she even has leaves for underwear, better than that fungus looking thing coming out of her back side on the PF.
Agreed....love the print design, much better imo.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #343
mistermark
Birdman

This new Ivy is one of the ugliest female sculpts Sideshow has ever done. Big protruding gut, pancake bum, A-cup boobs, manly face. Quite honestly this is TERRIBLE. It looks like a man who is transitioning (no offese to LGBT) but it does. I thought leaning Harley and the new Batman PF were bad, but this takes the cake. On a positive note, the base is nice but the figure is awful. Sideshow needs a serious intervention with their design team SMH. Their old female sculpts were feminine and beautiful, Lara Croft, original Ivy, etc... what happened?!

PS I can't wait to see the masculine flat-chested, new Catwoman PF with a manly face and in a bizarre sagging pose (like the new Harley PF) that I'm sure is in the works from the genius creative team at SS.
mistermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #344
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermark View Post
This new Ivy is one of the ugliest female sculpts Sideshow has ever done. Big protruding gut, pancake bum, A-cup boobs, manly face. Quite honestly this is TERRIBLE. It looks like a man who is transitioning (no offese to LGBT) but it does. I thought leaning Harley and the new Batman PF were bad, but this takes the cake. On a positive note, the base is nice but the figure is awful. Sideshow needs a serious intervention with their design team SMH. Their old female sculpts were feminine and beautiful, Lara Croft, original Ivy, etc... what happened?!

PS I can't wait to see the masculine flat-chested, new Catwoman PF with a manly face and in a bizarre sagging pose (like the new Harley PF) that I'm sure is in the works from the genius creative team at SS.
Harsh comments. I like the new SSC Poison Ivy. I hope they don't change a thing
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #345
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

A tad harsh, but actually pretty accurate.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #346
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this.

I think this Zatanna looks like a man in drag.

*EDITED*

At first I thought maybe a WWF/WWE girl for Ivy and that's why the edit. But the more I look at it, the more I maybe see an Ivy man....

I agree. That portrait didn't do the Zatanna any favors, and I really like the character too. I suspect the aftermarket won't be kind to it either.

I really wanted to like the Poison Ivy. I'm actually okay with the pose, even though it appears that we're limited in display angles. However, the masculine aspects featured especially in the portrait, like in the Zatanna, are taking me out of it. The upcoming Elektra portrait may have a bit of this issue as well. Perhaps the design team simply prefers that more square-ish jaw muscle-builder look. Is this the new ideal woman look? Maybe it is and we're all just old fashioned. Still, I can't help but wonder if this was a missed opportunity to present something amazing as the blueprint was there. My thinking is that if the testosterone was toned down a bit on all of these pieces, they would likely be bigger hits for Sideshow. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people at Sideshow are too afraid or intimidated to tell the design bosses when something may not work that well. Just wondering.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #347
FJC
Midnighter

This is all on Igo and the powers that be at sideshow. The artists create, mgmt and AD are responsible for the final product. Nothing will change so long as the same people are in charge. Expect more of the same for future releases.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #348
Mister H
Youngblood

I think some red leaves on her hip area, like in the print, would help a little. Maybe the leaf gauntlets too. She does seem to be dressed a little skimpy even for Ivy.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #349
Demona
Martian Manhunter

She's pretty skimpy in the print too. In the print she has nothing in the mid-section, a thin band of leaves around her breasts, and a few more leaves on her hips.

I don't mind a more in the buff Ivy, one of my favorite commissioned pieces is with her mostly naked. If SS has posed Ivy like this art -- would have bought it in a heartbeat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stevens_Ivy.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	113367  
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #350
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I dunno this one is tough to critique. I really like the sculpt itself and think it's beautifully done, I just don't think it's the right body type for Ivy.

Even her midsection is thick like a fitness model/body builder. It's just not how I envision Ivy looking. I like the base and pose though.
I agree with everything you said. The sculpt is excellent, but Poison Ivy uses her control of plants to do ----, she shouldn't have need of any of those muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Poison Ivy is not Peurto Rican, and that back is not of this character.

wtf?
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote