Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth

It feels so good to be back at Hellboy Universe after so many years. I believe, the last time i read Hellboy was in 2004... before it got cancelled by The İtaki (a native publisher) in Turkiye because of poor sales. Ofcourse this was before Hellboy and Marvel films, especially The Marvel Films which really boosted the comics sales in Turkiye.

It was amazing. I must add, i haven't read the Plague of Frogs which was the B.P.R.D. adventure before Hell on Earth because the Plague of Frogs books are out of stock... I'm late to the party once again. Hellboy, Liz Shurman and Daimio quit the B.P.R.D. at the begining of the book, we had Abe Sapien, Johann Kraus and Panya team as our lead monsters/super natural memebers working with the B.P.R.D.. Characters in the Hell on Earth story talked some about Plague of Frogs. They explained how a creature in the story told that Abe Sapien would be the leader of Frogs, brought the Apocalyps and rule the Earth. That was kind of paralel to the Hellboy's destiny, as the Anug Un Rama, The Demon King, he would bring the Apocalyps and rule The Earth in the end. But there was a little difference, No one was sure if this was true in The Abe's case. The Creature in The Pleague of Frogs might have been laying. The Story started as The World was at the brink of Apocalyps. Liz's fires helped to stop the Frogs but woke up something far more sinister, a Lovecratian monster called Ogdru Jahad and its minion giant creatures Ogdru Hem and they were looking for ways to get in the world by using human hosts.

The woman who gave birth to a Ogdru Hem arc was fine, i really enjoyed the part about the antiant shamans who were using a collepesed and forgotten civilization's teachings to fight the Ogdru Jahad in the past but what i really liked was the Red Neck trailer park cult people and how Liz Shurman dealt with them. The story could get really gory at parts. Russian counter part of B.P.R.D. was really fun to see, the psytic girl Fenix was interesting, how she shot Abe without hasitation meant that Abe was really one of the bad guys ? She would join the B.P.R.D. as a super natural member later on... The Art was consistantly good through out the book. I really like the parts about agent Ted Howards ''Howard'', his visions of past, the dark age times and how he fought against dark forces at those times with his tribe and magical sword beside him in a previous life was so good. Liz Shurman lost her Pyrokinetic power, but regained it and got back to active duty in B.P.R.D. as a supernatural member.

The Last Volume of Hell on Earth was really one hell of conculusion. The Hell on Earth story was 5 Omnibuses long in total. A very long great read. B.P.R.D. fought against many Ogdru Hem and the Black Flame himself and one really gigantic Ogdru Jahad which was summoned by The Black Flame. As it was described in the book, the scale of the catastrophe in America in the story was 9/11 times 100.

I really liked the Robot Armor, Johan Kraus used as a host in the last parts of the story. It was bad ass. I wonder what will happen with Varvara, the Demon Russian little girl who had the knife covered with Satan's blood in the end. It was always fun to read about her and Iosif. Only Ted Howards, Fenix Espejo and Liz Shurman left alive from the super natural team members of the B.P.R.D. in the end. That was apocalyps prevented but with a big cost. Abe Sapien's whereabouts and condition were unknown. I really applaud Mignola and the crew for making B.P.R.D. such a great read even without Hellboy.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote