Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
cigaro
A day without sunshine is like... night.

New Statue Collector - Is Sideshow the way to go?

Hey everyone.

Created an account because I want to get into statues. Currently I am a hot toys collector, however recently I have fallen off a bit from them and realize that I just don’t think I like 1/6 that much.

I am incredibly interested in statues, however.

I was wondering how everyone felt about cost and quality and if the premium format/maquette lines from sideshow are a good place to start to get the most out of my money. I definitely do want 1/4 scale, and I want to make sure I’m diving in on a line that has consistent paint applications and quality work (considering how expensive these things are).

The statue I saw in person that really motivated me to get started is the newer cat woman premium format from sideshow. That thing looks so cool and would probably be my first statue purchase.

Anyways, was wondering if I could confidently purchase this line of statues, and see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone!
cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
Hey everyone.

Created an account because I want to get into statues. Currently I am a hot toys collector, however recently I have fallen off a bit from them and realize that I just don’t think I like 1/6 that much.

I am incredibly interested in statues, however.

I was wondering how everyone felt about cost and quality and if the premium format/maquette lines from sideshow are a good place to start to get the most out of my money. I definitely do want 1/4 scale, and I want to make sure I’m diving in on a line that has consistent paint applications and quality work (considering how expensive these things are).

The statue I saw in person that really motivated me to get started is the newer cat woman premium format from sideshow. That thing looks so cool and would probably be my first statue purchase.

Anyways, was wondering if I could confidently purchase this line of statues, and see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Hello, welcome to the hobby and the boards.

You're already a step ahead as you have an idea of the hobby from collecting Hot Toys. Do the same with statues- research and ask questions.

You're also ahead of the curve with seeing the piece you want in person. You liked what you saw, so if you're okay with the price and the dimensions fit your display, pull the trigger. If you have any doubts at all, think about it a bit more. Only jump in if you're 100% sure.

What other characters and/or lines are you considering? What do you want your display to look like and what's your end goal?
AlexLothos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
ivory7777
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Premium format is amazing like anything but i would say if you not sure about it even by looking at pictures, look at the youtube videos of statues. many youtube channel where statue collectors go to convention and take videos of prototype statue. check those videos and judge it for yourself if you like it or not. sometime the videos are better than just looking at pictures. I have a premium Format power girl statue and i love it.

few things about statues

i use to collect and still do with 1/6, 1/7 and even 1/8 figure but with these 1/4 and 1/3 statue keep in mind, they will require a lots of space. as well as good place to display since they can be very heavy. they can also be very pricey and it can get out of hand where you can get more then you can display since many amazing quality statue arrive every few months. so this is similar with figures and hot toys as well so im sure you are aware of it.

sideshow is one of the best place to get statue, but also remember there are many brand not sold at sideshow. for that there are other places like bigbadtoystore. there are couple other where you can get XM statue and HMO but i never ordered from there so it is best if i don't mention them because i don't know how quality their service is.

also many statue are made of resin so they can be brittle and easily break if not careful. one of the biggest nightmare of buying statues is if they come with chips or broken piece. so always check the store policy on replacing any thing broken. some time the statue break because of the packaging. couple of my statue got chip or little broke pieces because of the white foam in the package crush them. so if you going to repack your statue, carefully pack them.
ivory7777 is offline   Reply With Quote