Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread but do you think that's it or maybe it's just that Romero was good in his time and he's not got any better. Perhaps, these days we expect more that that?
I think they should have given him money for the last one years ago.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread but do you think that's it or maybe it's just that Romero was good in his time and he's not got any better. Perhaps, these days we expect more that that?
I really don't think he was ever all that great, and I like his films. His best film by a long shot is Martin, followed by Creepshow. Land of the Dead was pure dribble. What a crap way to end a franchise. Total crap, garbage, sh!t, etc. Show me one decent film he did since Day of the Dead. 1985, over twenty years ago.

Maybe I'm just pissed cuz the Dead films remain among my faves and he ruined the end. Although you could be right too, that his time has simply passed, as has apparently been the unfortunate case for Carpenter as well.

I'm a disgruntled Horror freak that longs for the days of- Tombs of the blind Dead, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, ReAnimator, etc. along with the great and obscure Italian and Spanish productions by Bava, Fulci, Argento, etc.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
I really don't think he was ever all that great, and I like his films. His best film by a long shot is Martin, followed by Creepshow. Land of the Dead was pure dribble. What a crap way to end a franchise. Total crap, garbage, sh!t, etc. Show me one decent film he did since Day of the Dead. 1985, over twenty years ago.

Maybe I'm just pissed cuz the Dead films remain among my faves and he ruined the end. Although you could be right too, that his time has simply passed, as has apparently been the unfortunate case for Carpenter as well.

I'm a disgruntled Horror freak that longs for the days of- Tombs of the blind Dead, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, ReAnimator, etc. along with the great and obscure Italian and Spanish productions by Bava, Fulci, Argento, etc.
Yes, Yes Yes. the tihng is an all time fave of mine and I think one of Carpenter's best. Surely you must have a fondeness of Cronenburg too, though? And Yuzna's Society is one of the freakkiest movies I've seen.

Like I said, didn't want to hijack this thread ...
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
What do you think of films like Saw, Hostel, and Grindhouse?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

going to see this one in the flicks, missed out and saw it for the first time on DVD and I was blown away,
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #16
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Saw was passable. Having seen it once was enough. Hostel I heard nothing good about from friends that are genre freaks like me, so I passed on seeing it.

I heard some good and bad about Grindhouse. The good being the homage that is to real grindhouse cinema, the bad being Tarrentino's annoying self-love for his own writing. I'm used to being annoyed with his too cute, too "look how clever I am" dialog. I hate it, but I know if I see one of his movies it's par for the course. I will not even bother renting Grindhouse, but will just go ahead and buy it from the way it was described to me by friends whose taste in films echo mine.

I should say, there is some good stuff coming out today, but not from the likes of Eli Roth and his MTV ilk. Too many stupid F-bombs in the scripts, and juvenille attempts at humor. Not my cup of tea, but then again I'm an old man. Seriously, I think there's a generational thing in likes and dislikes. Realize that many modern films steal directly from stuff I already know and love, so there is a built in bias.

I liked High Tension, The Eye, The Ring, Deathwatch, some other good stuff. That film Audition got raves from the horror crowd, but I honestly didn't think all that much of it. Rob Zombie has some good ideas, but I don't really care for his directing style. Devil's Rejects though was way better than House of 1000 corpses. I am NOT anxious to see his Halloween.

Consider this thread now hijacked and demanding ransom.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #17
bat_collector
Galactus

Deathwatch? May have to check that out.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

high tension was crazy!!!!!! good movie
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Deathwatch? May have to check that out.
Highly recommneded. Creepy, claustrophoblic, stylish. Superior acting and art direction as well. A pic-

Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
pdashnut12
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
Nice, I'll have to check this out.

After I see spiderman 3 that is.

You still havent seen spiderman 3???!!!!!! your crazy man!
pdashnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote