Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #61
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme909 View Post
You missed my previous post. I indicated this is good for people who missed out initially. I don't care about the secondary market. My point is if these are meant as collector items then they should be treated as such. Make however many you want to produce initially and that is it. There are other characters that should be made. The "its a business deal with it" argument is weak. Their business is supported by us as fans. And if they are perceived as cash grabbers instead of making products for the fan then they are going to lose customers.
For an item that was never advertised as either limited nor numbered you sure do like to throw around accusations of 'cash grabbers'.

Just cause you want the item to be limited so that it has a higher resell value, does not make the company a cash grabber by simply making more for the people who want it.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #62
byteme909
Frackin!

Then I agree to disagree. Dont market yourself as a collectible toy company when it clearly isn't. That's my entire point.
byteme909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #63
Vykk Draygo
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I have no problems at all with a re-release. Here's my viewpoint.

I have the Batgirl bishoujo already, but I'm happy they're releasing her again. Why? My thinking is that almost everything you buy depreciates in value almost immediately. A car loses like 10% of its value as soon as you drive it off a lot. I go into this statue collecting hobby with that mindset, that I will be losing money.

I set aside a certain amount of money to use for discretionary purchases after bills are all paid up. Once I spend the money, it's gone in my mind. I don't think about how much it'll sell for down the line. It's like buying a TV. I'm enjoying it now, not thinking about how much it can sell for. Because I KNOW I'll be taking a loss. I buy these collectibles not because they're rare, but because they're physical representations of characters I like in comics/fighting games/movies.

So if a statue goes up in value and I can sell for a profit, great, but I don't care. I didn't go into this hobby to get money out of it. I have other investments that are way less volatile.

Basically,
Cost - Cost to me. How much I am willing to pay for something.
Value to me - How much it will take for me to sell something. This could change based on factors such as display/storage space. This is NOT the same as Re-Sale Value (to me).
Re-sale value - This holds no meaning for me. I don't care if something is now selling for $200 or $20. I'm still happy with the statue. A statue doesn't suddenly seem less cool to me if there's a re-release and the "re-sale value" goes down.

In fact, when I see some of these older DC bishoujos being re-released, my thoughts are 1) Hmm, I guess Koto underestimated how popular their DC bishoujos would be and leads directly to, 2) This probably means the DC bishoujos will be alive and well and we'll end up getting more characters. If things don't sell well, they'll stop putting out more characters.

Finally, something doesn't need to be "limited" to be "collectible". Anything can "collectible" to someone. It's just like an article about how people were losing their ---- because Disney didn't put out enough Frozen collectibles and they were getting hard to find and being sold at highly inflated prices. You know what Disney did? Stop making them so they would keep "re-sale value"? Nope, they made more. And that made people happy and wanting to buy more. Imagine that.

Also, I'd like to see a re-release of Poison Ivy. I have one, but forgot to get an extra to get repainted in flesh color

tl;dr ver - Re-releases don't affect a statue's value to me, even if they may affect re-sale value. It won't take away from my enjoyment.
Vykk Draygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #64
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vykk Draygo View Post

I have the Batgirl bishoujo already, but I'm happy they're releasing her again. Why? My thinking is that almost everything you buy depreciates in value almost immediately. A car loses like 10% of its value as soon as you drive it off a lot. I go into this statue collecting hobby with that mindset, that I will be losing money.

I set aside a certain amount of money to use for discretionary purchases after bills are all paid up. Once I spend the money, it's gone in my mind. I don't think about how much it'll sell for down the line. It's like buying a TV. I'm enjoying it now, not thinking about how much it can sell for. Because I KNOW I'll be taking a loss. I buy these collectibles not because they're rare, but because they're physical representations of characters I like in comics/fighting games/movies.

So if a statue goes up in value and I can sell for a profit, great, but I don't care. I didn't go into this hobby to get money out of it. I have other investments that are way less volatile.

Basically,
Value to me - How much it will take for me to sell something. This could change based on factors such as display/storage space. This is NOT the same as Re-Sale Value (to me).
Re-sale value - This holds no meaning for me. I don't care if something is now selling for $200 or $20. I'm still happy with the statue. A statue doesn't suddenly seem less cool to me if there's a re-release and the "re-sale value" goes down.

In fact, when I see some of these older DC bishoujos being re-released, my thoughts are 1) Hmm, I guess Koto underestimated how popular their DC bishoujos would be and leads directly to, 2) This probably means the DC bishoujos will be alive and well and we'll end up getting more characters. If things don't sell well, they'll stop putting out more characters.

Finally, something doesn't need to be "limited" to be "collectible". Anything can "collectible" to someone. It's just like an article about how people were losing their ---- because Disney didn't put out enough Frozen collectibles and they were getting hard to find and being sold at highly inflated prices. You know what Disney did? Stop making them so they would keep "re-sale value"? Nope, they made more. And that made people happy and wanting to buy more. Imagine that.

Also, I'd like to see a re-release of Poison Ivy. I have one, but forgot to get an extra to get repainted in flesh color

tl;dr ver - Re-releases don't affect a statue's value to me, even if they may affect re-sale value. It won't take away from my enjoyment.
This is a perfect expression of how I view my collecting habit (I say habit, because I freely admit I'm addicted to these things.) I agree 100% with this mindset. I collect what I like, not what I think will be an "investment." But, I'm also one that doesn't keep collectables in a box. I put them out on display, so that I can enjoy them. I'm not concerned with it depreciating the value if I do ever choose to sell an item. This is not a criticism of anyone, I just personally don't see the value in buying something if I don't use it/enjoy it.

I'd honestly rather see a re-release, because that means demand is high. That means more security for the line to be expanded and continue on. (It's like more work at your place of employment means more job security!) Koto doesn't benefit from the inflated collectibles pricing either. They only get the portion of the MSRP set in the beginning, they don't get a bigger piece of the pie if the price goes up in the private market. Any monetary transaction after the initial sale to the vendor, or direct to the original purchaser, doesn't go to Koto, so it behooves them to produce more, if an item is in high demand. It only makes monetary sense (as long as you don't go too far, *cough*90's X-Force #1*cough*.)

Additionally, if I miss out on a item that I really wanted, due to whatever reason (shortages, shipping damage, crappy sellers, etc.) I'd be a much happier person being able to afford getting a piece at a reasonable price, instead of having to sell a kidney in order to afford one.

So, I'm wholeheartedly in favor of Koto (or any producer) doing this.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #65
built2shred
Phoenix

A lot of collectors only buy these statues based on how rare they might be down the road, weather it's for profits, to recoup their money spent or just for bragging rights, whatever the reason is it's motivation for them to buy these statues.

But if collectors feel that certain manufactures are just going to flood the market anytime they think the demand for the item goes up, these collectors might stop buying statues from them and move on to something else. So in the long run the company might lose more money by collectors leaving then they would make by re-releasing the statue.

Personally I'm in the middle, I only buy statues because I want to display them but I also like to know I can at least get back what I paid If I need to make room for a new one.

I have noticed people who proclaim they don't want any profits from their statues always sell them well above the original cost. So it's kind of like "Do what I say not what I Do"
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #66
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vykk Draygo View Post

Basically,

Almost word for word my sentiments.

I got into the statue game late-ish in life and would love to get a re-release on some pieces I missed, opposed to dealing with flippers.

I figure when I'm dead, my wife or someone will have to deal with the horror of selling my collection, and they arent gonna worry about resale values.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #67
dmist24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Just buy her now before she goes higher since koto will not be doing a reissue on her. I just paid 250.00 shipped for her which is ok. I've seen some on eBay paid 400.00. Now if they reissue this one I would be piss that I just bought her for that much. At least koto put me to rest on that one.
Finally got catwoman and supergirl for just $95 each sealed in a box here in the Philippines!!! Very happy! Totally worth it... I'm glad i did not pay that much for them...
dmist24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #68
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmist24 View Post
Finally got catwoman and supergirl for just $95 each sealed in a box here in the Philippines!!! Very happy! Totally worth it... I'm glad i did not pay that much for them...
Either you got extremely lucky or that Catwoman is a copy. Sometimes you can find someone who doesn't realize what there worth and sells them for a lot less. If it's a legit one, congrats..
Old 05-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #69
dmist24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Either you got extremely lucky or that Catwoman is a copy. Sometimes you can find someone who doesn't realize what there worth and sells them for a lot less. If it's a legit one, congrats..
I don't think there is a bootleg bishoujo.. It's very very legit.. here's mine for $95 - mint in sealed box. I believe they just sell it without looking for it's current price in the market.

dmist24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #70
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmist24 View Post
I don't think there is a bootleg bishoujo.. It's very very legit.. here's mine for $95 - mint in sealed box. I believe they just sell it without looking for it's current price in the market.

Yep looks legit, grats on a killer price...