Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-15-2011, 05:01 AM   #191
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
nothing wrong with Jonathan Creek - gotta love le danse macabre as the theme tune - one of the best tv shows! and I imagine you get QI down there, no?
The quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry?? GREAT show mate!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #192
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

yeah, and who plays the village idiot on it every week? Alan davis!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #193
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
yeah, and who plays the village idiot on it every week? Alan davis!
Are you serious?!?! I didn't realize!!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #194
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
IF they did reprint them, you can still tell by looking in the front cover.

There's actually no if about it. I bought some the reprinted variant gold foil cover editions myself (e.g., Vol 28, 33,34,35). I was glad to see them resolitcited in Previews as they were going for big bucks on eBay at the time. The only way to tell them apart is by a tiny II (Roman numeral 2) on the back cover. If you don't know to look for it, you'd never know. Incidentally, these later Masterworks reprints also have an identified (even smaller) edition run too. All this to say, I probably should have waited before pulling the trigger on the later reprints as the first run now sell for as much as the reprinted run.

This isn't the first time hardcovers have gone back to print. The Brubaker Cap Omnibus, for example, went back to print 4 times even though we were left to assume these omnibi were supposed to be one shot deals. I'm not sure who is saying "these will never be reprinted". It seems someone is spreading misinformation as this clearly isn't the case everytime out. My thinking is that if there is enough demand, Marvel will reprint it eventually.

Sadly, what that means, is that anyone paying big bucks will get screwed over at some point. I have seen a number of books go from the $300 range (FF Masterworks V. 21) to $25 following a reprinting.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #195
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Sadly, what that means, is that anyone paying big bucks will get screwed over at some point. I have seen a number of books go from the $300 range (FF Masterworks V. 21) to $25 following a reprinting.
they're getting screwed in the first place by spending loads of money on these books sold by extorters.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time until LoEG I & II go back into Absolute print. After all, they did it with Hush
Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #196
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
they're getting screwed in the first place by spending loads of money on these books sold by extorters.

They're not always extorters. Some of these sales start at $1 and then balloon into $300 by the end of the sale. It's not the seller's fault if buyers engage in a bidding war. In the end, it's up to the fans to decide what they're willing to pay.

However, in principle, you certainly have a point. There are lots of extorters out there who have been known to manufacter the value of things to get extra bucks. Up until very recently, the Wolvie PF was selling in the retail range. Suddenly, out of nowhere, two PFs sell for close than a grand. Next thing you know, the Wolvie PF starts to regularly sell for double retail or more. Sadly, this manipulation of the market has happened quite often over the years in our beloved trade.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #197
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
They're not always extorters. Some of these sales start at $1 and then balloon into $300 by the end of the sale. It's not the seller's fault if buyers engage in a bidding war. In the end, it's up to the fans to decide what they're willing to pay.

However, in principle, you certainly have a point. There are lots of extorters out there who have been known to manufacter the value of things to get extra bucks. Up until very recently, the Wolvie PF was selling in the retail range. Suddenly, out of nowhere, two PFs sell for close than a grand. Next thing you know, the Wolvie PF starts to regularly sell for double retail or more. Sadly, this manipulation of the market has happened quite often over the years in our beloved trade.
I'm just on about books where the sellers have them at a set price and not in an auction.

just look at my post above on the Captain Britain Omnibus - £187 used?! some of the price
Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #198
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Absolute Dark Victory is gonna be awesome! Picked up Absolute Identity Crisis today too!
I got Identity Crisis today, but I'm wondering now if it was worth it. I love the story, but is it really worth it Absolute treatment? What does it add? There are no extras that are not in the HC/tpb - not even the action figures

And what is up with Zatanna on the new cover?!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #199
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
I got Identity Crisis today, but I'm wondering now if it was worth it. I love the story, but is it really worth it Absolute treatment? What does it add? There are no extras that are not in the HC/tpb - not even the action figures

And what is up with Zatanna on the new cover?!
The Zatanna option can only be to appeal to the lowest common denominator

I know what you mean about the lack of new content, I just regard the story so highly I needed to soak it up in the comic version of Cinemax
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #200
joy_division

The X-statix omnibus is a lesson on HOW to do an Omnibus!!! Not like that crappy Brubaber Cap America Omnibus Vol. 2!!

1200 pages, 7.8 Lbs, contains every story that features the crew that Peter Milligan and Mike Allred came up with. The X-statix series allone comes in at over 25 issues, never mind the X-force issues and all the other mini series and short stories.

Darwyn Cooke's art is beautiful here. Bit short on extras but when you got this much story, who needs extras.

Love the intro by Peter Milligan:

Quote:
"Bloody Hell!"

That was my initial response when Axel [Alonso] told me the kind of cover price this collection would be going for...

"Cant that bloody Allred write something instead?"