Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

The Underrated

Decided to throw together some movies, that over the years seemed to have never fully gotten their due or were overlooked or just critically panned. Not including those that later rose to cult status, like Blade Runner. Here's just a few.... chime in with your own list.

1.)Thick As Thieves (1999) – Dark comedy and funny as hell. Alec Baldwin, Andre Braugher and Michael Jai White are spot on
2.)Hudson Hawk – What can I say, it’s a bit of a mess but the cast seemed to have had a ball and they took the audience along for the ride. A lot of insider jokes
3.)Waterworld – Yeah, it cost a fortune, but put that aside and it’s kind of fun
4.)Zardoz – It’s John Boorman and you either hate or love his work. No middle ground. Wasn’t until ages later I realized the Superman ally, Vartox, was based on Zardoz character
5.)2010: The Year We Make Contact – Okay, you try to rival Kubrick and see how you fare. Peter Hyams did a pretty good job when you consider who he was following
6.)Three Days of the Condor – I always felt this was the consummate spy flick. It still holds up well. Bookends well with Redford’s later Spy Games
7.)Wizards – Bakshi just being Bakshi. It drags at times but the rotoscoping is a cool way to go
8.)Cool World – Speaking of Bakshi… this deserved better. It was Who Framed Roger Rabbit? before it was cool (and didn’t cost a fortune)
9.)The A-Team – C’mon, this was a fun flick and retained the feel of the series without goofing on the source show (:::ahem::: Starsky and Hutch :::cough::: :::cough::: ). Deserved a sequel
10.) Brick – My intro to Rian Johnson. A clever, whodunnit with great acting and many twists
11.) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang – Val Kilmer and RDJ play off each other wonderfully and Shane Black delivers in the writing/directing departments
12.) Predator 2 – In some ways I like this better than the original (almost, not quite). It had to overcome the same “sequel” traps that Alien and Terminator avoided (unlike Jaws)
13.) Dark City – Take out all the razzle-dazzle fights from The Matrix and add in a plot, stir and there you go
14.) The Hidden – amazingly low key considering the body count, but it is surprisingly thoughtful and nuanced
15.) Hardcore Henry – Completely over-the-top FPS videogame perspective and a sh*tload of fun. Sharlto Copley puts in his usual manic performance
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Mister H
Gen 13

Good idea.

1. Dredd: low budget but one of the best comic character movies ever made.

2. Bubba Ho-Tep:.....Bruce Campbell as Elvis, nuff said.

3. The Baytown Outlaws: completely ridiculous but somehow enjoyable.

4. John Carter: way better than what the box office numbers represents.

5. Get Carter (Stallone): loved seeing him and Mickey Rourke mix it up.

6. Miller’s Crossing: not all organized crime movies have to be about the Italian mafia.

7. The Big Snit (short animated story): I will always refer to rock groups as “ shake and rock and roll bands” because of this little flic.

8. 13th Warrior: because we need more Viking movies dammit.

9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: a lot of folks thought it was boring as hell but I really like the story all the way through.

10. The Last Jedi: .......just kidding!...that movie sucked.

Would have added Dark City as well but it was already taken.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I definitely concur with the 13th warrior. One of my all time favorite movies. 3 days of the Condor is really good to of those you guys mentioned. For me I would add

1. Lucky Number Slevin - love this movie
2. High Tension- I think it is French horror but I think ou can get it dubbed
3. Angel Heart - Mickey Rourke and Robert Deniro with Lisa Bonet nude, can't beat that
4. Dead and Buried - interesting take on living dead, completely different than anything that has ever been done.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

DREDD - about as good as it gets

bladerunner 2049 - in my top 3 favorite movies of all time

suckerpunch - i dunno, i think its a lot of fun and has great visuals

ghost in the shell (2017 live action) - got a lot of flack for whitewashing but its an awesome movie with great visuals as well

watchmen - just awesome, snyder doing what he does best

arrival - a little slow but it pays off in the end

oblivion - a tom cruise sci-fi action thriller? yes please! say what you will about the man but cruise always delivers

the accountant - very cool affleck action movie
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
ukshaun
Hercules

The Counsellor - few mention this Ridley Scott film. Javier Bardem and Bradd Pitt are both excellent.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
The Counsellor - few mention this Ridley Scott film. Javier Bardem and Bradd Pitt are both excellent.
Yes! that is a good one. Not just Ridley Scott but Cormac McCarthy (of No Country for Old Men fame) screenplay. Excellent movie.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Yes! that is a good one. Not just Ridley Scott but Cormac McCarthy (of No Country for Old Men fame) screenplay. Excellent movie.
Looking on IMDb it appears to divide many. 1/10 or 10/10 ? ..i'd probably give it 7.5/10
The beast approach is to go in to The Counselor expecting nothing.

No Country for Old Men, another good film.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Crow: City of Angels
Annihilation
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #9
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

1. Mosquito Coast
2. Empire of the Sun
3. Ghosts of Mars
4. Aliens v Predator (w/Saana Lathan)
5. Jack the Giant Slayer
6. Frantic
7. Watchmen
8. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
9. Near Dark
10. Apocalypto
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #10
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

I only have one to add off the top of my head, but it's one I liked quite a bit that you don't hear about.

Pathfinder:2007

Karl Urban plays a Viking raised by an American Indian tribe after he's left there by his Viking clan.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote