Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 03-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Comics Reviews 3/16/05 Part III

OK! Picking up from Part II: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=7582

Sam Wilson's Comics Reviews (cont'd)

Revenge of the Living Monolith (Marvel Graphic Novel #17)
Marvel Comics
Written By: David Michelinie
Drawn By: Mark Silvestri

The original graphic novel (OGN). Something you haven’t seen from Marvel in quite awhile. Back in the ‘80’s marvel released a series of them in squarebound, magazine sized issues. Such notable ones as the Death of Captain Marvel (the first OGN), The New Mutants (first appearance/origin of the NM) and X-Men, God Loves, Man Kills (inspiration for X2, and on the reading list for the comic course in the Comparative Lit. department here at UW Madison) left a lasting impression on me as a youth. One of those that I remember clearly sitting on the shelf at Waldenbooks was Revenge of the Living Monolith. Sounds like one of those old school horror movies, I know, and the plot wasn’t too dissimilar. But damn, what a ride.

The main villain in our story is the X-Men’s old antagonist The Living Pharaoh. He escapes from prison, rejoins his evil army and comes up with a scheme to siphon off the Fantastic Four’s cosmic ray derived power. This transforms him into the Living Monolith, a being of immense power who just keeps growing and growing. Oy, how to stop it! Well, the FF is out except for She Hulk, so she calls her buds at the Avengers, but only Cap is around. Cap calls on Spider – Man and thus the battle begins. This is one of the first team ups of Spidey and the Avengers that I remember, it’s a good precursor for things to come in the New Avengers. Michelinie’s writing is well paced and sharp as always, and Silverstri’s art is fine, even though it is not as polished as it is now. Unfortunately this book has been out of print for at least 20 years, so you are not going to find it on any shelf. I would check the back issues at your local comic shop, or eBay. I wouldn’t expect to pay more than $10 or $15, definitely worth your while.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote