Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #41
omigeo
Alpha Flight

You know, not for nothing but I personally think the simplicity of this statue is what I like about it. It looks like Picard no if's or buts about it.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #42
nearmint
Phoenix

Supposed to be getting this in soon. Looking forward to seeing him next to Spock.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:44 PM   #43
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
You know, not for nothing but I personally think the simplicity of this statue is what I like about it. It looks like Picard no if's or buts about it.
It certainly does look like Sir Patrick Stewart, but the paint is its only issue.

From photos I never much liked the paint all that much on Spock either, as I personally saw it as a downgrade from what you can get from companies such as Queen. However I know many here love the paint.

It's essentially what I used to see as the problem with Sideshow using polystone for head and hand sculpts. And then we had Prime 1 using translucent resins, and others like Iron Studios using some sort of mixture. Heck the only full face sculpts that I like from Sideshow are the PVC/vinyl? ones. Queen says their head sculpts are made out of polystone, however I've never thought that to be the case given the look and weight of the head sculpts themselves.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #44
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I'm sure Prime has there faults of statues when using their materials.

Plus I'm not a particular fan of translucent resin either; I guess it all depends on how they achieve that realistic look on a statue. I've seen this translucent resin on some statues and I wouldn't say that all of them look good. Some have looked washed out to the point of being to plasticky and opaque as well. It all depends as to how you want your statues to look. Matter of preference.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:23 PM   #45
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
I'm sure Prime has their faults of statues when using their materials.

Plus I'm not a particular fan of translucent resin either; I guess it all depends on how they achieve that realistic look on a statue. I've seen this translucent resin on some statues and I wouldn't say that all of them look good. Some have looked washed out to the point of being to plasticky and opaque as well. It all depends as to how you want your statues to look. Matter of preference.
Translucent resins can be great. But sometimes they go too light on the paint, which produces that shiny look. Prime 1 uses translucent resins on many statues that you might not even be aware of, including many of their Arkham pieces back in the day. And I’m sure they probably continue to use it on their DC comic pieces.

I remember that their old 1/4 DC and GI Joe pieces weren’t done all that well, and even though I love my 1/2 scale Superman, it has the same issue. Whereas the 1/2 scale Wonder Woman, was perfect, at least in relation to the skin effect (it was one of the best sculpted skin effects I’ve ever seen on a movie piece, and that’s pretty much all I collect), but not so much where likeness was concerned.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:20 PM   #46
nearmint
Phoenix

Review coming in the next few days.

nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:11 PM   #47
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Review coming in the next few days.

Make it so.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:25 AM   #48
romakrelian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Wow. I think that looks fantastic number one.
romakrelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:30 AM   #49
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Have they done Kirk?
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:46 AM   #50
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

I've still got this right next to me. And if anything I like it more than I did when I first got it in. As 3 weeks has allowed me to forget some of the critiques I had. And because I've got him displayed in a cabinet using those off white led's the skin has a healthier looking skin tone (this is not a piece I would recommend using bright white led's).