Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
ddarko
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Sideshow shipping costs to Canada in recent times

Hello,

I am considering getting my first statue from SS, but am a bit worried since I am located in Ontario, Canada and changes to duties and taxes over the last year or two.

Does SS still use DHL shipping (that is what was mentioned in an old thread)? Also, how much should I expect to pay at the door for a ~500-600 USD statue?

I just want to get a rough idea so that I can make an informed decision.
ddarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #2
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Ssc default shipping to Canada is DHL. It will cost you just about $100 CAD for a $600 USD statue. DHL VAT charge from that is $17. I also use FedEx with ssc and I’ll switch it back and forth with DHL as it depends on the shipping charge. DHL shipping is less then FedEx. Since I have a FedEx account, the VAT charge are waived ($10.50) and I don’t have to pay upfront (usually charges my CC in 2-3 weeks) whereas DHL you have to pay customs before receiving your parcel. I weigh the pro and cons before picking which courier to use.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
jeff0850
Fantastic Four

To add to VS1976, for Ontario, they will most likely charge you 13% HST and 6.5% duty on the statue. If the statue is in stock you can see the shipping charge before clicking to buy and see the shipping cost difference between DHL and FedEx. If it is a preorder, it will also allow you to choose between DHL and FedEx when it is ready to ship.
jeff0850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
ddarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Ssc default shipping to Canada is DHL. It will cost you just about $100 CAD for a $600 USD statue. DHL VAT charge from that is $17. I also use FedEx with ssc and I?ll switch it back and forth with DHL as it depends on the shipping charge. DHL shipping is less then FedEx. Since I have a FedEx account, the VAT charge are waived ($10.50) and I don?t have to pay upfront (usually charges my CC in 2-3 weeks) whereas DHL you have to pay customs before receiving your parcel. I weigh the pro and cons before picking which courier to use.
Thank you so much for the info.

So would it be 600 USD + Shipping + 100 CAD in total? Feels somewhat ok given that I would have to pay around 100 CAD in taxes if I had bought local.

Also, when I go to checkout, it doesn't show me any options for shipping. So how do I do switching if I wanted to do it? Would going FedEx save me a considerable amount?

EDIT: Sorry, I realized that you didn't say it was 100 CAD charges after reading again, and that was the shipping.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
ddarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff0850 View Post
To add to VS1976, for Ontario, they will most likely charge you 13% HST and 6.5% duty on the statue. If the statue is in stock you can see the shipping charge before clicking to buy and see the shipping cost difference between DHL and FedEx. If it is a preorder, it will also allow you to choose between DHL and FedEx when it is ready to ship.
Oh thanks! I think this helps. I am looking at around 150 CAD on top of shipping then.

Just curious. Does SS ship free for US locations? Really makes me wish I was located in the US if that is the case lol.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post
Does SS ship free for US locations?
That would be great, but no. Free shipping in the US is only used as a promotion for certain items that have been in stock for a while.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #7
jeff0850
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Oh thanks! I think this helps. I am looking at around 150 CAD on top of shipping then.

Just curious. Does SS ship free for US locations? Really makes me wish I was located in the US if that is the case lol.
They only have free US shipping as a promo on some items and very rarely free Global shipping.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 PM   #8
jeff0850
Fantastic Four

Quote:

Also if you get lucky on the customs classification code used, you might not get charged the 6.5% duty. But I get hit with the 6.5% duty more often than not.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #9
ddarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
That would be great, but no. Free shipping in the US is only used as a promotion for certain items that have been in stock for a while.
Quote:
They only have free US shipping as a promo on some items and very rarely free Global shipping.
Ah, that makes sense.

Quote:
Also if you get lucky on the customs classification code used, you might not get charged the 6.5% duty. But I get hit with the 6.5% duty more often than not.
Oh, that would be nice ! Also, doesn't DHL charge some fixed fees? How much does it come to for you?
Old 01-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
jeff0850
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense.

Oh, that would be nice ! Also, doesn't DHL charge some fixed fees? How much does it come to for you?
Every carrier will charge some sort of processing fee, however like VS1976 said if you have a FedEx account the fee will be waived. I have a FedEx account and always pick them even though it costs more since some people have reported having problems with DHL. And with the fee waived it makes up some of the difference.