JQBATMAN
Doh!

DC Collectibles New 52 Superman Bust (Heat Vision) Version

Click image for larger version

Name:	Re52Sup1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	75264

DC Collectibles has been producing quality action figures and statues of the DC Universe for many years. The Women, Heroes, and Villains of the DC Universe series was a hit with sculpts modeled after art by Amanda Connor, Adam Hughes, and many others in the DC artist family. The newest addition to this fine tradition is the “New 52” style renderings of our favorite characters from the Justice League is Superman. Now this costume has gotten some criticism in the past but all in all this statue bust makes you not think of anything but how AMAZING it is. The details sculpted by Jean St. Jean are beyond words. Superman soars from the pages of the New 52 with a new look and new attitude. This bust captures why the appeal of the Man of Steel is timeless!

Name:	re52sup7.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	75268

Packing: 4/5
The art on the box is nice but it does NO justice to the actual statue inside. On the outside of the box is the now patented DC peel back logo showing the statue coming out from behind the peel. I also noticed that on the top left corner of the box there was a sticker that said “red var” (as pictured above). We looked at the other box at the comic shop and saw that it did not have this sticker. The sides show the statue in different poses, and the back has a brief history of the character along with a glimpse of the next releases from DC Collectibles. The interior packing is a Styrofoam insert that has the bust incased but wrapped in a plastic bag as well. The Batgirl bust comes assembled and is ready for display out of the box.

Name:	Re52Sup3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	75265

The Statue: 5/5
This Superman bust excited me upon opening because I wanted to see what the term “red var” meant. As I inspected the statue I noticed the red eyes and immediately looked at the one in the display case at 3 Alarm Comics (the shop I work for) and noticed that Superman Bust in the case had non red eyes. Upon searching for answers on this “variant” on the internet no answers can be given on to how many were produced or if this was in fact a running change. The base is awesome; it’s rounded with a metallic red flake paint and a raised ”S” Shield on it. On top of the base you have Superman in his new armor with his cape sculpted in a flowing motion. He comes posed as if he is hovering over Metropolis. The statue comes in measuring approximately 6.5” high. The detail on his facial features is amazing as well. He has this smirk on his face that has that new attitude that Superman has shown in the comic since the New 52 launch. Also on the back of the cape has the new “black style “ S“S on the back. This as well is one of the many busts that have come out over the years for Superman. St. Jean’s attention to detail hasdetail has made this my favorite Superman bust to date.

Name:	Re52Sup4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	75266

Price: 5/5
This Superman bust retails at $60-$70 at your local comic shop. Online retailers have been offering a discounted sales rate from about $59, but after you calculate shipping it all adds up. The secondary markets have the variant priced at about $199. Not knowing the distribution on the variant it is unknown how to actually price the value, but it is my opinion that not many people even realize that they may have one with red eyes. The $70 price on this bust is a fairly good price due to it being slightly larger due to the cape dynamics and base from the previous bust released from DC Direct/Collectibles (as seen in the picture at the bottom).

Name:	re52sup6.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	75267

Overall: 5/5
I have always had love for these bust and mini statues. They give you something to display that has more detail than an action figure, and if you collect a few of them, they look fluid and amazing together. This is a great buy if you’re a Superman fan or just a fan of nice works of art in your collection. I, for one, am having a difficult time deciding on which version I want in the front of my display as they are all beautiful works of art, and deserve front shelf treatment. Again pictures do these no justice go out and grab these for your shelves today you may even get lucky and score the variant before the comic shop realizes they have them!

Name:	re52supcompare.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	75269
JQBATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
demonhunter
Kingpin

Nice. Thanks for the review.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
C. Bormann
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
C. Bormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
built2shred
Phoenix

I have this bust also and I have to agree for the money its one of their better New 52 busts they made.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote