Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #121
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Yes, taste IS really subjective.... that's a fact.

At least when I use the term 'cartoon', I'm referring to the unrealistic proportions that characterise Games Workshop's style being transferred from the 35mm miniatures into the Prime1 statue.

I was hoping they (Prime1) would translate the WH40K I.P. over to a more 'realism' based end product, rather than 'simply' scaling up the miniatures.

If you love the WH40K aesthetics, then great - I would say this statue fits the bill as a stunning centre piece, but this isn't my thing. I will continue to spend the cash building my WH40K army, I don't need an oversized miniature as part of my statue collection.
Very well said! Looks nice, just not appealing to me.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #122
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
what do you guys mean by cartoony?

I don't have any interest in this license, but I think it looks great
Dawn of War 3 went for a far more cartooney look then the normal grimdarkness that comes with WH40k art and such. And nothing characterizes it more with the space marines then Gabriel here with the odd limb proportions, the weird has hell looking "torso" pod and giant oversized frankenstein face.

Again, this is what he looked like in DOW2:

Also if you're a fan of 40k tabletop and lore you probably don't give a ---- about the blood ravens as they are a chapter made for the game and it's really evident, especially in DOW3 which is basically the mass effect andromeda of the series (but also without good gameplay).

If you told me I was going to be disappointed with what P1 would show as their first 40k piece before I saw this I wouldn't have believed you. I am shocked they went with the worst rendition of a character in a game that sold horribly and is doing poorly with a setting full of memorable and better characters. A generic marine would have been a lot better. I hope they still do that SOB that teased before. How did you pick Gabriel over a primarch?!

Normal tartaros armor btw:

dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #123
chev327fox
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Yes, taste IS really subjective.... that's a fact.

At least when I use the term 'cartoon', I'm referring to the unrealistic proportions that characterise Games Workshop's style being transferred from the 35mm miniatures into the Prime1 statue.

I was hoping they (Prime1) would translate the WH40K I.P. over to a more 'realism' based end product, rather than 'simply' scaling up the miniatures.

If you love the WH40K aesthetics, then great - I would say this statue fits the bill as a stunning centre piece, but this isn't my thing. I will continue to spend the cash building my WH40K army, I don't need an oversized miniature as part of my statue collection.
I was just recently getting into Warhammer and was looking for actual collectible statues (not table top game figures). Sadly I found nothing until just recently with this and I have to say I like it (but see I found Warhammer through video games like Space Marine and Dawn of War). Also for me the legs are always what looks cartoony in Dawn of War

I like the statue... it looks pretty good and I would love to get one but sadly I could never afford this (my max on a statue is $300... maybe $500 if I save up and REALLY want it).

I also think the Emperor or even the Primarchs would be a really cool statue. Also obviously Chaos Marines or Ascended Deamon Princes would be pretty awesome too. But yeah unless they were to do quality 1/6 scale I jut could not afford it (was hoping there were a mid-market lower class affordably statue set to chose from but this franchise is mostly tabletop and they seemed to on one end not be big enough to branch out into statues and or they liked the monopoly on selling official tabletop figures for crazy prices).

As for the "cartoony" thing... this IS the Warhmmer 40k style from what I can tell so it seems odd to buck it. I can see pulling it in a bit (seem they did a bit for the statue like the cinematic, possibility the same model) but not leave the essence of the Space Marine style.

I know people hate the Ultramarines but I love the game Space Marine and would love to get a statue of Captain Titus or even Chaos Lord Nemeroth.

Anyways my 2 cents from a fairly new Warhammer fan and not a tabletop player (just someone who love the lore and some of the games).
chev327fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #124
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev327fox View Post
I was just recently getting into Warhammer and was looking for actual collectible statues (not table top game figures). Sadly I found nothing until just recently with this and I have to say I like it (but see I found Warhammer through video games like Space Marine and Dawn of War). Also for me the legs are always what looks cartoony in Dawn of War

I like the statue... it looks pretty good and I would love to get one but sadly I could never afford this (my max on a statue is $300... maybe $500 if I save up and REALLY want it).

I also think the Emperor or even the Primarchs would be a really cool statue. Also obviously Chaos Marines or Ascended Deamon Princes would be pretty awesome too. But yeah unless they were to do quality 1/6 scale I jut could not afford it (was hoping there were a mid-market lower class affordably statue set to chose from but this franchise is mostly tabletop and they seemed to on one end not be big enough to branch out into statues and or they liked the monopoly on selling official tabletop figures for crazy prices).

As for the "cartoony" thing... this IS the Warhmmer 40k style from what I can tell so it seems odd to buck it. I can see pulling it in a bit (seem they did a bit for the statue like the cinematic, possibility the same model) but not leave the essence of the Space Marine style.

I know people hate the Ultramarines but I love the game Space Marine and would love to get a statue of Captain Titus or even Chaos Lord Nemeroth.

Anyways my 2 cents from a fairly new Warhammer fan and not a tabletop player (just someone who love the lore and some of the games).
I have no idea if he still does it but there was a guy who made custom 1/6th scale space marines in the past, they were pretty decent. Google if your interested.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #125
chev327fox
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I have no idea if he still does it but there was a guy who made custom 1/6th scale space marines in the past, they were pretty decent. Google if your interested.
Na, I already searched and honestly I would prefer an official statue limited run (like they are doing here... just a bit smaller and more affordable). If I had the money I would buy this Gabriel statue as I really like his character (I did not play the Dawn of War game but I watched their stories/cinematics many times over and I have played Space Marine many time and watch and rad tons of lore).

Also custom stuff usually ends up being very expensive.

I appreciate the thought though!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #126
dao2
Cyclops

The space marine game, while loads of fun (especially the mp) is hardly lore friendly. A marine, even a captain, killing bloodletters like candy isn't exactly cannon. And corrupted guardsmen being the greatest threat was kinda a joke :P A LOT is done in the name of balance for the videogames. Honestly the one closed to the lore is battlefleet gothic which follows the gothic war surprisingly well (except for the admiral you play). Pretty awesome cinematics too. The cinematics for DOW are kind of a joke. SMs die like they are nothing, and the warlock was underpowered there too. The lore isn't entirely consistent on strength of units, but nowhere are some factions protrayed as weak as they are there and others as strong as they are. Also if you've never been recommended a book and are interested the Eisonhorn one is a great read. And pretty much anything by Dan Abnett (except the script he wrote for the ultramarines movie and Unremembered Empire which were universally hated).

Oh and H.M.O also have the license and plan on doing diorama's (35-40" they said). Which would be very expensive, however if they pieced them out something may fall in your range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPgubrPpZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxdtigmeDY
Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #127
chev327fox
Frackin!

Quote:
The space marine game, while loads of fun (especially the mp) is hardly lore friendly. A marine, even a captain, killing bloodletters like candy isn't exactly cannon. And corrupted guardsmen being the greatest threat was kinda a joke :P A LOT is done in the name of balance for the videogames. Honestly the one closed to the lore is battlefleet gothic which follows the gothic war surprisingly well (except for the admiral you play). Pretty awesome cinematics too. The cinematics for DOW are kind of a joke. SMs die like they are nothing, and the warlock was underpowered there too. The lore isn't entirely consistent on strength of units, but nowhere are some factions protrayed as weak as they are there and others as strong as they are. Also if you've never been recommended a book and are interested the Eisonhorn one is a great read. And pretty much anything by Dan Abnett (except the script he wrote for the ultramarines movie which was universally hated).

Yeah I am not sure I would ever say it was the best example of 1: lore adaptation (then again I could care less) but it is a video game. I mean what kind of game would it be if you could not kill the deamons coming at you? A sheit one

Also a lot of stuff you are talking, while there can be a general consensus on the range of powers or feats ect, it is fairly subjective with how you interpret the lore in most cases (at least to a certain extent).

Not sure what you mean but the corrupted guardsmen... I do not remember this and I just played the game again not too long ago. Are you thinking of Dawn of War II Rise of Chaos (I remember corrupted guardsmen in that one... the ex-governors mens when they were listening to a champion of Nergul I think in the game)?

Anyways not trying to get into a lore debate... just pointing out that there will always be lore differences and a videogame is a game first so really cannot fault it for that.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #128
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev327fox View Post
Yeah I am not sure I would ever say it was the best example of 1: lore adaptation (then again I could care less) but it is a video game. I mean what kind of game would it be if you could not kill the deamons coming at you? A sheit one

Also a lot of stuff you are talking, while there can be a general consensus on the range of powers or feats ect, it is fairly subjective with how you interpret the lore in most cases (at least to a certain extent).

Not sure what you mean but the corrupted guardsmen... I do not remember this and I just played the game again not too long ago. Are you thinking of Dawn of War II Rise of Chaos (I remember corrupted guardsmen in that one... the ex-governors mens when were listening to a champion of Nergul I think in the game)?

Anyways not trying to get into a lore debate... just pointing out that there will always be lore differences and a videogame is a game first so really cannot fault it for that.
The corrupted guardsmen in space marine. They were probably the scarriest normal enemy in the game cause they actually hurt a fair bit and were ranged and you're ranged sucks. I do understand the need for balance in games, just sayin they are terrible lore representations. I had good fun with space marine and love DOW 1 and 2 even though they aren't lore friendly at all. DOW3 though is just a bad game imo ;| Bad story, bad gameplay (SP and MP).

Also if you're interested in cinematics there's a guy doing a unofficial (but kinda sanctioned) 40k cg film and it's pretty good so far. Voice acting could be better synced and more fitting but overall very nice looking.

Grey Knights teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k&t=29s
Prologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxdtigmeDY
Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #129
chev327fox
Frackin!

Quote:
The corrupted guardsmen in space marine. They were probably the scarriest normal enemy in the game cause they actually hurt a fair bit and were ranged and you're ranged sucks. I do understand the need for balance in games, just sayin they are terrible lore representations. I had good fun with space marine and love DOW 1 and 2 even though they aren't lore friendly at all. DOW3 though is just a bad game imo ;| Bad story, bad gameplay (SP and MP).

Also if you're interested in cinematics there's a guy doing a unofficial (but kinda sanctioned) 40k cg film and it's pretty good so far. Voice acting could be better synced and more fitting but overall very nice looking.

Grey Knights teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k&t=29s
Prologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxdtigmeDY

Oh I think I might know what you mean now. The smaller guys with the Chaos Marines and Choas Deamons (I thought they were chaos... um, darn cannot remember.... what are the recruits called again... scouts?)?

But yes I agree games are not the best place for lore to be accurate especially when it has anything to do with the actual gameplay (anything in the lore that will make a bad game would just be tweaked or not used).

But on the other hand Space Marines are built up as almost nigh unstoppable war machines that consistently overcome overwhelming odds.

I actually loved the story and cinematics/voice acting for Dawn of War III. I personally think people hate the changes to the gameplay/game so much it has made them hate everything else about it without realizing it, even the good parts. The voice acting in DoWIII is top notch and I really like those stop motion cinematics... I think that is a really neat way to do them.

Yeah I have seen those. Pretty amazing for basically a couple guys (mostly one from the looks of the credits). Some of the acting is a bit weird (the facial stuff looks off for the younger Inquisitor... uncanny valley type off sometimes with the lip tracking/expression as you point out, but overall extremely impressive). The space marines in that video are out of proportion though I think (I have read 2 different heights... 9ft which is rare to see and the one most seem to agree on is 7ft, but the ones in that video were like 10ft+ I bet).

Something I should point out is I love the bulky style... see here is my favorite videogame character and probably why I really like the Space Marines look (pretty similar in bulky style actually):

BTW... thanks for the Warhammer Gothic Armada cutscnese link... I am going to watch them later as the trailer and the start of it was really good I still like DoWIII cutscenes and story though
As for the Armada game that is just not king of game... does look epic though.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #130
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

was kinda hoping warhammer sisters of battle first, o well
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote