Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post
Treat statue buying like beer buying - buy it because you like it, can afford it, and will enjoy it whilst you have it, and then consider that money gone!

If you decide to sell down the line then anything that you get for it at that time should be treated as bonus cash in your pocket.

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of collecting?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You will definitely loose money for the most part reselling. Especially if it is still in stock. Best bet is to wait and buy whatever it is you want in the after market unless you really want it when it gets released. Also try to only buy what you plan on keeping for a long time.

Here are some prices I paid for a few P1 pieces which included the shipping. Shipping alone is typically around $100 or more if statue is in 2 boxes.

Batman Arkham Origins $850
Joker Arkham Origins $850
Scarecrow EX $550
Robin EX $590
Two Face EX $760
Venom $800
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I'm sure that "in general" pre owned statue sellers lose money, but at a casual glance on places like ebay this theory doesn't hold water. Without exception I see current and older releases typically being offered for sale at a higher price than the original mrsp.

This is especially true when statues become sold out.

I wouldn't recommend buying statues as investments however, and if that's a primary factor in whether to purchase or not I would suggest avoiding the hobby.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I wouldn't recommend buying statues as investments however, and if that's a primary factor in whether to purchase or not I would suggest avoiding the hobby.
Definitely requires a different mindset now than many years ago when pretty much everything sold for profit. Those of us that have been collecting for long time got spoiled.
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm sure that "in general" pre owned statue sellers lose money, but at a casual glance on places like ebay this theory doesn't hold water. Without exception I see current and older releases typically being offered for sale at a higher price than the original mrsp.

This is especially true when statues become sold out.

It can fluctuate pretty wildly too.

I debated on the Captain Marvel PF and saw it selling at small loss ($50) for a time.
Now? I cannot find one for less than $200 more than the initial MSRP of $500.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post
Hello,

Forgive me if this is in someway a settled topic, but I have been unable to find an old thread about it.

I am interested in getting my first Prime1 and wanted to know what the resale value is like for these figures. I have been mainly in the 1/7 and 1/8 market where the figures generally tend to retain value in the lines I collect. But these are an entirely different beast in terms of scale and quality, and price! So want to know what I am getting myself into before diving in.

Any comments from your own experience is much appreciated

Thanks for the help!
Have plenty of space because it does become an issue when you're collecting this scale. I collect mainly 1/3 scales with some 1/4 scales of my favorite characters thrown in and just to give you an idea of the kind of room that you'll need, I have 72x48x24 Cabinets and on one shelf, I'm able to fit five 1/4 scales and one 1/5 scale but I'm only able to fit two 1/3 scales from Prime 1.

The large base doesn't help much in a way of display sometimes because with certain statues, the footprints are so large that you have to turn them a certain way just so they'd fit into the cabinets. As far as quality goes, I still feel that Prime 1 delivers some of the best!
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lebou View Post
Treat statue buying like beer buying - buy it because you like it, can afford it, and will enjoy it whilst you have it, and then consider that money gone!

If you decide to sell down the line then anything that you get for it at that time should be treated as bonus cash in your pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
Buy because you love and want.

Polystone isn't a good investment.

AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #18
BaZ
Fantastic Four

How it’s hot and its edition size maybe.

Recently, the Superman Sculpt cape (unboxed) went 50% from original price.

Ludens 1/2 EX went to double price already, due to the upcoming game and new statues on the same line look so gorgeous.

And those JL 1/2 are also very popular.

I will say most pieces that’ve been sold out on the website, the price will most probably increase just more or less. While those which were delivered for awhile but still available on the website, the market price will remain or go down.
BaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
nearmint
Phoenix

I've only been collecting for 3-4 years, but I've learned that statue collecting is a very forward looking hobby. Demand is for the next great thing, while yesterday's releases don't get much love. Of course, there are exceptions.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #20
ddarko
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experience and advise. Very informative.

Definitely agree with the comments that it’s not an investment. Also agree that one should buy these collectibles if one loves it and enjoys it. Still, given the fact that such tastes almost always change with time and the price point, I couldn’t help but wonder if at least some of it can be salvaged when one no longer wants it. A ~$1000 beer is something that I would really be hesitant having

But joke aside, I do see what you mean. If I were to buy a PC or a phone for a similar price, I would have it for a few years during which I would use it, and then that would be it. Of course, the level of usage is almost always more in those cases than with a statue. Still, on principle, it makes sense to think of it as getting nothing back after one is finished enjoying the statues.

As some of you mentioned, space is also something I would need to look into. I saw some unboxing videos and the saying that Prime 1 bases are huge seems to be certainly true.

For now, I just want to get one character I like, perhaps another down the road, than start collecting a lot of them. Space aside, I don’t think the family will appreciate seeing a room dedicated to big status of fictional characters haha.
ddarko is offline   Reply With Quote