Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 01:52 PM   #1
Marcologue
Doh!

Question Mega Dust

Hey everyone, my house is getting some major renovation at the moment and I have no place to hide my collectibles. They are in a closed room but the dust is getting to them anyway. Basically it's been a good month now that the dust is getting out of control and each 2 days there is a new visible layer of dust on my desk, and so, on my statues. I got about 8 statues of 1:4 and a bunch of smaller ones. There is not effing way I can dust them every week with all my responsibilities, plus I am worried that cleaning so much would weather them. My idea was to let the dust accumulate even if it's a lot and once the dust settles (once my renovations are done), to clean them in one go, like a spring cleaning, first an air duster and then second, a make-up brush.

Any thoughts? Am I making permanent damage by going this way? Should I stop worrying and keep with my plans?

EDIT :
Thanks for the sound advices! Unfortunately, I am not in a position to clean and seal all of them in plastic anymore. My plan is to wait the construction to be over (maybe 2-3 weeks left), let the dust settle and proceed into cleaning them by first using an air duster and then cleaning the rest off with a makeup brush.

Basically I am looking to know if this plan is viable or not. I am not necessarily looking to resell them (most of them are my own design, others, my friends') so I don't care if they are not TOP NOTCH. That been said I've been stressing out about it now that I am in too deep and cannot clean and seal them.

I guess I am looking for honest advice or extra tips on cleaning as much as I am looking for reassurance to be honest.
Marcologue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:55 PM   #2
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Can you cover them with some lightweight plastic? Painters use really lightweight sheets to cover for overspray.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:02 PM   #3
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Can you cover them with some lightweight plastic? Painters use really lightweight sheets to cover for overspray.
This is what I did during construction. Just be VERY careful removing the plastic for any statues you cover directly (vs within cabinets).
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:16 PM   #4
qz33
Doctor Doom

As ghetto as it sounds I've covered statues with grocery/Wal-mart/Target shopping bags when having things done. Individual coverage is better than a big sheet which can get moved and drag pieces off to drop and break.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:45 PM   #5
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Home Depot sells clear plastic drop cloths in .7, 1, and 2 mil thickness. I've used them all. .7 would be sufficient. qz makes a good point - you could always cut the sheets into smaller squares to cover each statue.

.7 is thin like a shopping bag. 1 mil has a bit more rigidity, and is a little easier to cut with scissors, but they're all easy to cut - and .7 will drape easier.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:54 AM   #6
Marcologue
Doh!

Thanks for the sound advices! Unfortunately, I am not in a position to clean and seal all of them in plastic anymore. My plan is to wait the construction to be over (maybe 2-3 weeks left), let the dust settle and proceed into cleaning them by first using an air duster and then cleaning the rest off with a makeup brush.

Basically I am looking to know if this plan is viable or not. I am not necessarily looking to resell them (most of them are my own design, others, my friends') so I don't care if they are not TOP NOTCH. That been said I've been stressing out about it now that I am in too deep and cannot clean and seal them.

I guess I am looking for honest advice or extra tips on cleaning as much as I am looking for reassurance to be honest.

P.S: I have edited my post above to reflect this below.
Marcologue is offline   Reply With Quote