Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Ebay BIN

Any else notice a majority of Ebay items (at least in the Collectible/comic/figurine section) is Buy it Nows?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
ComputerFly
The Phantom

It's because no one wants to bid. No one wants to pay anything for anything, so sellers have no choice but to list their items as Buy it Nows so they don't lose their Arse.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
wizard-comics
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Location: New Caprica City, New Caprica ("accidentally" left behind)
yes, and I think it hurts a lot of sales...people like to bid on items..(I think it makes them thhink they are getting a deal)...and it becomes a competition almost....I think your more likely to sell higher using auction format than BIN ...just my 2 cents
wizard-comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

As someone who sometimes sells on the Bay, I have noticed that I tend to get more bids on items with BINs with free shipping. I'd prefer paying the $2 fee for the auction and get my asking price then start an auction at a dollar and see it end at 20% retail. My auctions tend to attract those willing and ready to pay for a good deal. I'm not all that interested in providing super deals, not yet anyway. My choice. The buyer's choice.

As a buyer, I also look for BINs. I barely have the time to chase auctions down anymore or wait to bid during the final 10 seconds. Ever since the kids came around, my mind for this sort of thing has gone to mush... lol. I have a price I'm happy to pay and if a seller offers it, I'll go for it.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
wizard-comics

yes I have noticed the free shippin will get more buyers as well
Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think the days of buyers spending crazy money on statues and busts are pretty much gone. Buyers are much brighter these days and far less desperate to spend more than they need to on a statue or bust when they know full well someone else will eventually post the item they want at a price closer to their means. It basically turns into a waiting game.

Sure, statues in demand like a Hulk FB will still get $400 (for now). However, most other pieces seem relatively easy to find so why pay more? Many sellers have pick up on this and are trying to even the playing field a bit more so that they don't get totally snowed by cut throat deals. I think that's why we're seeing more BINs. Sellers want to change the existing buying culture which suggests that eBay is a place to get a steal of a deal. While it is still true at times, I think sellers are trying to change the level of ease of doing so that deals are more at the level of "really good" as opposed to incredibly amazing.

Speaking for myself, I've all but lost complete confidence in the potential of seeing an item reach the type of money I want if I started the bids at $1.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
dr_teng

Ebay's been putting policies in place that encourage using it more as a store than an auction house. Stuff like maximum shipping charges (in certain sections), bonuses for sellers for free shipping (which makes little sense on auctions), all the feedback changes, etc... were pretty specifically for this goal. Same with all the major sponsorships (Buy.com) they've been trying to get lately.

It sucks, because I like bidding on items, and as a seller, I used to ALWAYS list my items at 99 cents and let it go wherever. But now? I only list BINs.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

If I post my Spidey bronze and start the bidding at a $1, the auction would probably end somewhere netween 5k and 7k. However, if I post it with a BIN at 10k, there is a chance someone will bid.

The point is that for auctions to reach decent levels, sellers need at least two bidders to chase after the item. Nowadays, that might be asking a lot as high paying buyers are getting harder to come by. However, hoping for only one bidder willing to meet your price seems far more likely. As a seller, I feel more at ease going with the odds, hence the BINs.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
ComputerFly
The Phantom

Another big reason to use Buy it Now is because of the Bing.com rebate.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
wizard-comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
Another big reason to use Buy it Now is because of the Bing.com rebate.
what's that?