Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #601
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonks View Post
wish they hadn't gotten cleaver and just gone with this pose, wouldn't have been able to get the money out of my pocket fast enough..
Perhaps you would like to explain this supposed "cleaver" thinking so I can better predict all the left turns in design P1 will take before I get too excited for a line? Surely it couldn't have been DC as license-holder approving an image concept that helped them better promote a recent trade.

It's OK to have a preference (although one "perched on a gargoyle pose" doesn't scream more iconic to me than most others in the seemingly endless cache Lee's drawn, beyond the first #608 cover DC Direct's already done) but this comment and countless others on Facebook frame companies' creative direction so personally it's a wonder they're even able to find five potential buyers during these convention showings.

jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #602
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Seeing them together like this makes me warm up to the idea of spending $2500 and kicking my girlfriend out to make space.

They're better together than they are individually, IMO.
They look fantastic together. But as soon as you mention $2500 USD together... yikes. I couldn’t see myself buying one but not the other, so maybe I’ll end up buying neither.
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #603
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
my real only critique with batman is I think the serratus are a little over done, theyre perfect on superman but a little over the top on bats. I think it looks better a little more subtle. any chance prime1 would revisit this or am I being too nitpicky? maybe just eliminating the shading would help

When you're spending a grand or more I don't know if there is "too nitpicky". I was waiting on this one and there are several things that are making it a no go for me.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 AM   #604
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
When you're spending a grand or more I don't know if there is "too nitpicky". I was waiting on this one and there are several things that are making it a no go for me.
Just responding to that particular sentence, not your response to SONICobra:

I can agree with that to certain extent, but as recently as yesterday when I was arguing the statue's faithfulness to Lee's art to a fan who criticized it on an artistic level, not a budget one, they just defaulted to "F it. I'd rather just get ___ piece that fits better in my collection than this." instead of even providing backup for their artistic critique. At that point, I have to question why the person even leveled their critique in the first place. I don't have to actually consider buying something like the life-size Endoskeleton to appreciate or refrain from criticizing it on an artistic level, almost the same way I don't for actual one-of-a-kind statues in museums I may never even have privilege of seeing in-person.

We all collect differently and, while it's awesome (well, not for space reasons) when that one great piece comes around that makes you reconsider your entire collecting focus, too often do I see people punishing pieces for not living up to such a rare and highly subjective standard. Yet that critique will get parroted throughout that statue's lifespan as something people won't able to unsee since first hearing it, valid or not. Just mention preferring one Venom piece over another in a Facebook group and watch it play out in real-time.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #605
Mister H
Gen 13

I was “iffy” on this one before any finished pics came out. I’m much more of a museum pose guy. I wonder why there isn’t a small head on Bats like there is on Supes?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #606
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
i really like the pose, its really different and will add some nice contrast to a museum style display. if they have a portrait looking in the direction of the above art i think it will correct some of the issues others have with the pose. has P1 said anything about what kind of switch outs this will have?
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #607
built2shred
Phoenix

I like the art the statue is based on but the statue looks like it's leaning back towards his left leg a bit, almost looks like Batman is losing his balance.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #608
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I like the art the statue is based on but the statue looks like it's leaning back towards his left leg a bit, almost looks like Batman is losing his balance.
I agree with what someone else posted. The artwork looks like he's crouching down on a gargoyle surveying the city. The sculpt looks like he's climbing up from somewhere below.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #609
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

To me it looks like he is getting ready to throw his batarope.

I have trouble understanding what the everyone expected with this piece other than having them pump the page through a 3D digital printer.
I feel this piece is awesome, and that it captures Lee style very well, while also having a lot of outside work put into making his art"statue formed".
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #610
myskye23
Hellboy

Me personally, I really like this statue and although it's not 'perfect' it'll still be a Day One PO for me. I had high expectations like everyone else and although it wasn't fully met, I can't say that it's disappointed me to a level that I would bypass this statue or the Superman one. I can't imagine how difficult or how easy it is as a sculptor to replicate a 2D drawing and turn it into a 3D statue but for all intents and purposes, these statues will look GREAT together.

I'm a huge Jim Lee fan and although this may not be an exact representation of his style, I still think it's pretty darn close.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote