curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Pass for me.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Wouldn't make a difference - you can't just make a statue from scratch if the licensor wants you to adhere to a certain "canon" material.
Even without the backstory (which really, is 4 lines per character, so I don't think it's a problem), you still have a gamorrean executioner that never appeared in the serie. A wandering Obi Wan, when have we seen him like that, in the official material? Or Vader contemplating on Mustafar? Or Maul and Boba like that?
We all saw the pre-cyborg Grievous concept art, even without a backstory, the licensor knows Grievous never appeared like that in official materials.
If Disney's directive is to stick to what is now considered "official", there's no way a company can go around that.
Igo mentioned that they *might* re-use some old Mythos concepts in PF form in the future, tho.
These are from concept art as well and Stormtroopers never had lightsabers. The Mythos line was nothing more than slight variations just like these will be.

I think if Disney would go along with these they could go along with characters having a themed look just without the story especially if the idea was presented to them in a different way. They don't want anyone telling stories they may want to cash in on.

Even Igo said there could be Mythos style statements in future PFs. So there seems to be some flexibility by Disney.

Fett is just standing there with only an uncannon longer gun.

Vader is reflecting on his helmet with flames beneath him. More poetic that realistic and what explanation is really needed?

The Gamorrean pig guard is just holding an axe which is pretty canon.

Obi is running in the sand carrying his belongings which were all officially cannon.

Maul has his shirt off just holding a stick and his lightsaber so maybe the extension of his tattoos are unofficial but I am not sure if the Clone Wars showed them or not but there are definitely other companies still producing items with that look. Koto's shirtless Maul is being rereleased this month.

What makes the Mythos line so good is the styling, the detailing, the posing, and imagining known characters in an inspired imaginative setting but it does not have to be so explicit or non-cannon. Whatever story the designers use to inspire a cool setting does not have to be available as part of the merchandise. The PFs are rather uninspired attempts to mostly create a reproduction of what is seen in the movies and while they have their place so does a touch of imagination.

I know some people really like the stories but I own 3 of these and I havent read the *ANY* of the stories yet.

I think they would still be awesome without the stories and the "EU licensing contract branding" and people would buy them rather than nothing at all. I know I would.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

I like that they are 1:5 because they could be beside all of my mythos but would they look good together or look out of place? His art style is definitely different bit I really like that about this as this interpretation of star wars art in collectibles hasn't been done yet! Hope they do lots of great characters different ones then mythos line, I know there will be some repeats but would be nice to have array of different characters! Can't wait to see more in this....

Sarah Joe
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #24
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Let's make it clear - I like Mythos too, a lot. I never wanted the line to end. Imho, the artistic interpretations are much better in statue form than the usual characters copied from screen in the usual poses. They get boring fast, while the Mythos always feel fresh to me.

Still, Disney HAS frozen the whole EU thing, so I do believe that Sideshow might have had issues with their plans for the Mythos line. Maybe things will loosen a bit after the movie is released.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #25
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

For me, this is the best news from sideshow I've heard in a long time.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #26
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
For me, this is the best news from sideshow I've heard in a long time.
+1
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #27
Igo
Producer
Producer

These are definitely 1:5 scale, all sculpt. Consider them an "Artist Series" like the JSC Spider-Man Ladies.

We have this Stormtrooper nearly done, and the next two are started. There will definitely be at least 3 to this line.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #28
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
We have this Stormtrooper nearly done, and the next two are started. There will definitely be at least 3 to this line.
Oh riiight. The next two.
The Luke and Vader statues.
The next two Luke and Vader chosen especially for this line, McQuarrie's Luke and Vader...

The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #29
Igo
Producer
Producer

You win for that quote mash-up good sir, love that film, and Kronk especially.
Igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #30
RELStuart
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I really want a McQuarrie Fett.
RELStuart is offline   Reply With Quote