Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Sam
Hydra

Frank Cho Drawing Beautiful Women Kickstarter

It's not quite comic art, but it IS Frank Cho.

He's got a new Kickstarter campaign going to fund his new book Drawing Beautiful Women. Check out the funding options. If you want to get a ballpoint pen drawing of one of Cho's women done inside your book, that's available as one of the pledge rewards. Be warned though, at $4000 it ain't for the faint of heart, or wallet. There are MUCH cheaper options at $20, $30, $35, & $50.

Here's the write-up.

Frank Cho's exquisite line and masterful brushstrokes are explored to give the beginning artist, along with the most advanced professional, all the tools and knowledge to draw beautiful women. No area is overlooked as chapters cover demonstrations on how to draw the overall figure, then continue with the head, hair, neck, torso, back, arms, hands, pelvis and legs through clear, step-by-step procedures. Numerous samples from multiple angles are shared, including views from the back, side and three-quarter figure. Frank continues by exploring the foundation of form by showing major muscle groups and providing visual answers to an artist's toughest questions. A dedicated feature with dozens of faces and expressions provides an unparalleled reference gallery.

Drawing Beautiful Women is enhanced by Frank's wit and flair for entertainment, as he interjects humor throughout the book for a fun and playful experience.

Frank's pen-and-ink and brush styles, plus the ballpoint pen, are each represented. A chapter devoted to painting shows two complete works from start to finish. The process of the cover painting is revealed in detail, followed by a second radiant woman in oils. Examples of his work being digitally colored are also included.

This book will include nude artistic drawings of attractive women

Here's the link: Frank Cho Kickstarter
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Underdog07
Hercules

4k. Wow
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Royd
Producer
Producer

1 of the 5 $4K spots has already gone! Only 12 or so hours into the 35 day funding period with over $16K raised out of the $30K objective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
4k. Wow
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

No Int'l shipping.. Boooo
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Royd
Producer
Producer

Yeah, I share your disappointment. Only option is to contribute and get the book sent to a friend in the USA or wait for whatever editions are eventually offered by Flesk.

I asked Frank (via Facebook) about the "no international shipping" and he responded by posting his query to Flesk (John):

"Frank Cho Why do you not ship internationally for this project?

John answers: I came to this difficult decision based on our experience of shipping over 700 international packages during our last two Kickstarter campaigns. We had too many books not arrive and the work involved (customs paperwork, extra packing for protection, chasing people down for shipping payment) was too great. It took weeks of work away from focusing on making new books. Plus, the extra fees and costs which we paid out of our pocket was excessive. As we added stretch goals making the package heavier and the Post Office raised the fees, we ended up paying on average $20 per package out of pocket. I will be making the books available on our website for international purchase later in 2014, and we are working on proper worldwide distribution so you can get the books overseas at a later date."

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
No Int'l shipping.. Boooo
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Why is this a Kickstarter project if the only thing special so far will be a print? I'll just get it direct from Flesk next year if I want it. I'm more interested if there will be a Volume 2 of his Jungle Sketchbook.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Demona
Martian Manhunter

If I had 4K to drop on it, I wouldn't my sketch in the book. I'd want a separate piece for framing.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Royd
Producer
Producer

Frank mentioned further "specials" in a Facebook post:

"Working on the stretch goal art rewards for the Kickstarter project... and a new tiered book, something John and I discussed before the launch but weren't too sure of.

But now seeing the success of the launch, it's easily within our operational scope and very excited for.

Look for a big announcement soon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Why is this a Kickstarter project if the only thing special so far will be a print? I'll just get it direct from Flesk next year if I want it. I'm more interested if there will be a Volume 2 of his Jungle Sketchbook.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Sam
Hydra

They're also looking to add reward levels between $50 and $4K.

I don't know why they were so concerned with funding this. Cho has a HUGE following that absolutely loves his art and even with his sketch prices being so high, he still has work at every convention where he sketches. Why he thought an art technique book might not go over I'll never understand.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'm sorry but 4k for a ballpoint pen sketch is absolutely nuts. There are well known artists who would do you a DPS Commission, cover quality with up to 5 characters and full background for a fraction of that.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote