Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Corey A
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Only regret was not going to a local comic shop that had a signing with some guy named Frank Cho promoting his silly Liberty Meadows books. Free sketches too!
Corey A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Biggest regret for Art was passing on Frank Miller last page of Daredevil run with Elektra climbing the cliff. Page was mostly white and I opted for something with more actual ink on it. Page was very inexpensive and historical. It was a dumb move and the page is worth a lot more now, not to mention - still historical.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Beginning of 2013, bought and paid for my only second Cover OA with the highest price I paid for a piece.

Item was shipped. Next day receive word from seller that he shipped the wrong cover art and the actual piece I wanted was sold to another seller months back. Got refunded money, but was so darned bummed for months since the piece was semi-historical and I even bit the bullet on the price since I knew it was so damn good.

Dec. 2013, Batman cover shows up, plan on saving for it on a month or so...item sells out within days. Argh
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Beginning of 2013, bought and paid for my only second Cover OA with the highest price I paid for a piece.

Item was shipped. Next day receive word from seller that he shipped the wrong cover art and the actual piece I wanted was sold to another seller months back. Got refunded money, but was so darned bummed for months since the piece was semi-historical and I even bit the bullet on the price since I knew it was so damn good.

Dec. 2013, Batman cover shows up, plan on saving for it on a month or so...item sells out within days. Argh
Similar story for me - I negotiated the purchase of an Alex Ross cover. After paying, I realized the displayed image did not match the number posted underneath. Quick email exchange and the image was wrong - got my money back. Cover I wanted sold months before. Was a bummer to me.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #25
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Not many regrets on not buying original comic art pages, though I have the same regrets of not getting into the game sooner. My big regret is not getting a con sketch by John Romita Sr. I've told this story before, but it was the Oakland Wondercon in 1999. Romita Sr and Jr were there doing sketches. Romita Sr. was $100 and Jr. was $60. I got nothing by either, and got a Jr. sketch of Spider-Man for the best man at my wedding, which was the same year.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Dan DeCarlo and his wife Josie at the show, so that was cool. (although I probably should have gotten some of his originals also, but that falls into the category of starting sooner at this).

Don
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
Agent Zero

Wow, A lot of sad and unfortunate stories... Glad I'm wasn't the only one.
Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Welcome to the StatueForum - part support network, part OC enablement mechanism
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
Agent Zero

BillC, regret not buying that Liefeld piece from you while it was affordable. It did pretty well on eBay.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
BillC, regret not buying that Liefeld piece from you while it was affordable. It did pretty well on eBay.
?

I never owned any Liefeld art. I wouldn't mind a nice 1988 Hawk and Dove example, or one of the Guardians of the Galaxy related items he inked, but I've yet to get my hands on anything
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
Agent Zero

Ops, wrong BillC. There is another art collector who shares your screen name on CAF and recently sold a Liefeld that went over his initial asking price. I passed on it, but wasn't expecting
the interest it received on eBay when it sold. I hear you. I've already managed to get my Liefeld grail piece and now have other artists to focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
?

I never owned any Liefeld art. I wouldn't mind a nice 1988 Hawk and Dove example, or one of the Guardians of the Galaxy related items he inked, but I've yet to get my hands on anything