Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
I like Steve Rude's cover. With Supes it's usually Jesus imagery - here's a bit of Samson thrown into the mix!
Appropriate, as Superman was based on Moses.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #42
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Yeah, parents putting baby Kal El'in a space ship and sending him to earth for his safety was similar to baby Moses who was put in a basket and sent down the river for his safety.

But i don't know what else is similar, i'm not very knowlageble about jewish religion.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #43
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Smile

I haven’t read superman more than 8 years now... my copy of action comics 1000 arrived today and i read some of it but it left me cold... Zack Snyder’s neck snaping superman memeory is still too fresh... I’m not ready to read Superman... may be i will never be..
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #44
built2shred
Phoenix

Action Comics 1000 was a snore fest.... The stories were really boring...I think most were older ones updated with new art... Or they might of been new stories but just written in a old fashion way.... either way I wasn't impressed for a 1000 issue
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #45
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The story by Bendis was a bore. How many times in the space of a couple of pages can he have his characters reference the return of Superman’s red outer shorts?

Last edited by wktf; 05-09-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #46
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Yeah, parents putting baby Kal El'in a space ship and sending him to earth for his safety was similar to baby Moses who was put in a basket and sent down the river for his safety.

But i don't know what else is similar, i'm not very knowlageble about jewish religion.
In addition, Moses was pulled from his basket and adopted by Pharoah. Upon becoming an adult he was granted great powers and became a hero and rescuer of the oppressed. He was the world’s first super hero, essentially. And both of Superman’s creators were Jewish. Many people think of Superman as a Jesus character, where a figure from the heavens gave the Earth his only son. Art can represent what people want it to, but Siegel and Shuster were two Jews and patterned Superman after one of the Jewish religion’s greatest heroes...Moses.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #47
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
In addition, Moses was pulled from his basket and adopted by Pharoah. Upon becoming an adult he was granted great powers and became a hero and rescuer of the oppressed. He was the world’s first super hero, essentially. And both of Superman’s creators were Jewish. Many people think of Superman as a Jesus character, where a figure from the heavens gave the Earth his only son. Art can represent what people want it to, but Siegel and Shuster were two Jews and patterned Superman after one of the Jewish religion’s greatest heroes...Moses.
Interesting. I always figured they used Samson (from the book of Judges) as their main influence. The Moses thing makes sense though.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #48
built2shred
Phoenix

I really never got that "Jesus" or "Pharaoh" vibe reading the comics, I have gotten that vibe In the movies where some directors have framed the shots to make him look like he was some sort of "Jesus" with glowing lighting behind him and people looking up to him....

You can say the same thing with a lot of stuff like Star Wars, Matrix, etc... they have that good vs evil thing going on, heck in star wars Anakin was immaculately conceived.. In Matrix Neo was the "One".... anyways it's not that hard to compare most stuff to the bible.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #49
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

In Superman’s case, rather than a comparison, the reference to the Moses story is what Siegel and Shuster actually used. I hear you, though, where movie analogies go. The first Christopher Reeves film, written by Mario Puzzo, an Italian Catholic, really pushes the New Testament reference.