Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 12-24-2020, 01:38 AM   #301
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks, Karnis.

I was getting into styrene modeling a few years back and loaded up on some Tamiya paints, but not the Vallejo's for some reason I can't seem to remember now (price maybe?).

Any particular reason for not sticking with the Vallejo's for the flesh? Are the Vallejo's recommended over the others for use with airbrushes?

Nice Collection! Proper respect for having one of the all-time best Batman stories/issues framed ("Robin Dies At Dawn!")
It's also amazing How many pieces just cleared the height limits for their locations

One last ?- Is that the PL Enterprise and did you put LEDs in it? I'm hung up on whether I want to use noisy motors for the bossards, or silent LEDs which won't look 100% kosher but would be so much less of a PITA to deal with.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #302
Karnis
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Thanks, Karnis.

I was getting into styrene modeling a few years back and loaded up on some Tamiya paints, but not the Vallejo's for some reason I can't seem to remember now (price maybe?).

Any particular reason for not sticking with the Vallejo's for the flesh? Are the Vallejo's recommended over the others for use with airbrushes?

I was building plastic models kits as well but the glues, enamel paints & thinners were tearing up my hands so I switched to water based acrylics and statues...now my hands don't get so dried out and damaged. Tough to deal with as a drummer.

I use Vallejo paints because they cover really smooth and I know how they're going to behave coming out of the airbrush. I use Garage Kit US Colors because of the outstanding quality & accuracy. Their semi transparents & transparent paints add a degree of realism Vallejo can't.

Nice Collection! Proper respect for having one of the all-time best Batman stories/issues framed ("Robin Dies At Dawn!")
It's also amazing How many pieces just cleared the height limits for their locations

Thanks LOL. I found those covers at a little shop in some town outside of Niagara Falls.

One last ?- Is that the PL Enterprise and did you put LEDs in it? I'm hung up on whether I want to use noisy motors for the bossards, or silent LEDs which won't look 100% kosher but would be so much less of a PITA to deal with.
That is the Polar Lights 1701 & I did use the stock light kit with the noisy motors. Knowing what's out there now I would go with the LED kit, it probably looks better & much quieter.
Karnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #303
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks, brother! That's a lot of good information.

Looks like I'll be picking up some Vallejo and GKUS colors in the new year.

Cheers!
Old 12-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #304
Karnis
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Thanks, brother! That's a lot of good information.

Looks like I'll be picking up some Vallejo and GKUS colors in the new year.

Cheers!
Check out the GKUS Wonder Woman tutorial for some great tips on using their paints. Also check Matt's Custom Models on You Tube. I use many of his techniques including using pastels for shading head sculpts.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #305
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Isnt it just refreshing not seeing a monstrous complex rocky / rubble base. Just clean lines and the main subject being the focus. No anatomical inconsistencies to hide , just a damn fine sculpt.
Damn fine sculpt is right. Keith Kopinski knocked this one absolutely out of the park. If the muddy version is coming in January then I’ve got something to look forward to next month. Boo-Yah!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #306
Inimicalsaint
Doh!

...and I’m the surgeon!

Looking forward to receiving the “muddy” version in the new year!

Last edited by Inimicalsaint; 12-30-2020 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Additional detail.
Inimicalsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #307
Karnis
Blue Falcon

Getting close....just the two head sculpts left to do.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #308
Blindzider
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post
Getting close....just the two head sculpts left to do.

Looks fantastic Karnis! I'm really jealous of your skills. Someday hope to try that myself.

I prefer my Batman to wear Black and Grey, but the story is blue and grey so I can live with it.

Didn't realize it was smaller in scale. Not sure how I feel about that.
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #309
pdenham
Teen Titans

That looks sweet!

Great choice with the yellow/mustard for the base. Are you dry brushing the highlights on the belt or using a wash for the deeper tones?

You were a smart man to pick up AP and DIY. That's going to be striking when it's finished.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #310
Karnis
Blue Falcon

Quote:
That looks sweet!

Great choice with the yellow/mustard for the base. Are you dry brushing the highlights on the belt or using a wash for the deeper tones?
Thanks! That's actually a polished gold on the base and then matted down. Both those techniques were used on the belt.