Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Y3E
Gen 13

So, you didn't like it, damienjakk? Any familiar characters in it, Claire, Jill, Ada...?
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
So, you didn't like it, damienjakk? Any familiar characters in it, Claire, Jill, Ada...?
As far as I could tell it had no ties to past games, unless at the end they have some major reveal that links them.

I only made it about 2 hours in before I wanted to kill myself. The game is leaps and bounds better than 6, but that's not saying much. It's like going from a -3 to a 2. While it's not crammed with pointless action it instead tries to instill a sense of fear with it's atmosphere and setting. Problem is there is no real penalty for death thus dissolving any tension that might have been built up.

It's certainly not survival horror since dying simply sets you back to the MANY checkpoints, and with all your healing items, weapons, etc. reset. I highly doubt anyone will not finish this game outside of turning it off completely like I did. Mistakes are simply forgotten and you are free to try again with no threat of losing anything. It's like taking a fun house ride and mildly participating in cheap jump scares as you make your way through a linear and highly scripted path.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #23
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

i read some reviews of it and saw some on youtube, man they went off book which is sad.

So decided to watch some gameplay on youtube, so disappointed on how it plays. Its like a puzzle game in Call of Duty style with no zombies and hardly any enemies.

Why can't they just go back to what made the game amazing from the first 2 games ever made, does it always have to be a COD game?
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #24
damienjakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
i read some reviews of it and saw some on youtube, man they went off book which is sad.

Why can't they just go back to what made the game amazing from the first 2 games ever made, does it always have to be a COD game?
Because companies are so afraid to take chances now, they copy/paste from what is popular or has sold well and try to mimic it within their own IP.

Resident Evil is probably the worst offender of this. RE6 copied the highly scripted and action oriented theme of the games at the time, now it seems someone at Capcom heard that walking simulators and games like Amnesia/Five Nights at Freddy's are what's popular with how RE7 has turned out. Then of course we had those awful squad based RE shooters trying to capitalize on that genre, it's pathetic really.

Just to go a little off topic, but GoW4 looks like it's heading in that direction as well. Not sure if any new gameplay footage has been released but from the E3 demo it looked like a copy of The Last of Us. I know the series had to evolve after the last game, but you can tell just by watching that demo that combat/gameplay have been given a back seat to visuals, set pieces, and the whole cinematic "experience" nonsense that seems to be taking over.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #25
Y3E
Gen 13

I've played about 2 hrs of this game (finished the garage fight) and you're right damienjakk, it's no RE game. Hell, other than herbs and combining it, it is just another horror survival game. I actually didn't mind RE6 and would take that over this.

Spoiler
The AI for the enemy, at least the father, is so stupid. It was so easy to avoid his shovel swings. Stand up and when he swings press the crouch. Works every time. Just make sure you don't stay in a crouch all the time. Eventually, he will swing vertically.

RE Racoon City was crappy. Can't believe I bought the deluxe edition of that one.

GOW4 is better. Maybe because the story is better, or maybe it is the characters.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #26
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I don't know if I'd judge the game off of 2 hrs of play. I'd probably try to finish the game first. I haven't played it myself, but have heard/read people seeing it from the other end of the spectrum. Calling this a return to the game's horror roots and such. Seems to be doing well with reviewers and fans. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #27
Y3E
Gen 13

I plan to finish the game. I read it takes 4 - 6 hrs to finish but I do hope it will get better. So far, I don't the find it scary but rather comedic more than anything else. You see what I mean when you start fighting.

Spoiler
You basically run in circles with the father chasing you with a shovel around the house. You also get to ram into him multiple times using a car
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #28
damienjakk

The main issue is there is no genuine sense of fear or dread. Like mentioned the AI is pretty dumb, and if you die you simply get to try again with all your items before you died.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
BurningRage
Inhumans

I don't like the first person viewpoint.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #30
Y3E
Gen 13

Same here. I guess they did for the VR experience.