Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
ecthelion
Hydra

Is a comic page drawn with pencil or pencil and inks?

Title says it all. if I buy an original page, is it inked or drawn with a pencil? And how is this with commissions, do you guys always get inked pieces? What do you prefer?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I believe most pieces are inked over the pencils , some are inked over a Blueline copy and some aren't even inked at all .
As far as commssions go what type of art depends on the artist and whet you like the most , you can talk inked or pencil , what about a colour commission ? Endless discussion ...
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Immovable Blob
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

I personally prefer inked art but ultimately it depends on the artist. I have a Gene Colan pencil commission which I would never want inking; that said I have a lighbox inked copy so I get the best of both. A lot of artists only do pencil, so if you want a commission inked I would advice an inker known to work with the artist. Most published art is inked but if it were not I would not get it done.
Immovable Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
ftrez
Nightwing

Most published comic art is rendered in pencil first and then inked over. Modern technology allows for the pencil art to be preserved by making a blue line (or other) copy for presentation to the inker. I don't know the frequency with which that happens nowadays though.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immovable Blob View Post
I personally prefer inked art but ultimately it depends on the artist. I have a Gene Colan pencil commission which I would never want inking; that said I have a lighbox inked copy so I get the best of both. A lot of artists only do pencil, so if you want a commission inked I would advice an inker known to work with the artist. Most published art is inked but if it were not I would not get it done.
Who'd you have ink that Colan, Blob? I agree in most circumstances in regards to Colan. Palmer, Alcala and Sinnott did a great job on Colan, but when you see those guys inking him, you get the feeling that alotta stuff was lost in the translation.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote