Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
Ex-Parrot
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Without writer/director John Milius involved, I find it hard to get too excited about this to be honest.

I mean let's face facts here, the Schwarzenegger Conan is not the Conan from Robert E. Howard's books in the slightest. It is, instead, Milius' own distinct take on Conan, as filtered through his own uniquely twisted vision, which was far more rooted in Norse and other ancient mythology, history, and legends, than it was in anything that Robert E Howard put to paper way back when. And so without Milius on board to steer this ship, I have no reason to think that this will turn out any different or any better than the watered down, Milius-lite effort that we got with Conan the Destroyer. I love the idea of a King Conan movie with Milius at the helm, but without his involvement, I just can't get too jazzed about it at this point.

Plus which, Arnold seems so desperate to recapture his filmic relevance that it looks like he'll sign on to make anything that even remotely sounds like an 80's era Arnie movie, good idea or no. As such I don't exactly trust his judgement right now, nor will I until some of these films start to hit and (hopefully) manage to change my mind.

After all, let us not forget that when he dropped out of the hollywood game in order to go into politics, he hadn't been in a really good film in, quite literally, years. Junior, Eraser, Jingle All The Way, Batman & Robin, End of Days, The Sixth day, Collateral Damage, Terminator 3, Around The World in 80 Days...that is a hell of a run of mediocrity, to, in many cases, down right awfulness, right there.

And the thing that worries me the most is that right now, with the announced projects (including proposed sequels to his biggest/most popular hits, Terminator, Twins, and now Conan) it looks very much like a desperate tilt at recapturing past glories, rather than a man picking the best and most suitable projects available to him at this point in time, which frankly has me a little wary. And I say that as someone who is actually a fan of the guy.

Wait and see what happens I guess.

All that said, if they went back to Howard and based this on Hour of the Dragon, just adjusted that into Arnold Conan lore a bit, them that could make for an awesome film. Or, you know, just get Milius back on board again. Otherwise, kind of hard to be hopeful right now...
Ex-Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I feel the same way on all counts. His blatant infidelity has made him a complete hedonistic and cruel ass in my opinion. Gibson's a different category, though. I simply can't go to any more of his films. I loved Arnold's first Conan and likely will see this one, too.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. Gibson is out for me, and while I'm not an Arnold fan anymore...I'll probably see this.

I'd love to see something pretty traditional to the Conan books...
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Andrea Berloff has just signed on to write the sequel.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/lege...-epic-reprise/

Producer Chris Morgan Discusses ‘Legend of Conan’ Themes & Plot
http://screenrant.com/legend-of-conan-plot/
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

alright cool. glad they are taking off from the barbarian and how it ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
This might only work if he portrays King Conan where Conan is old. If not it's a stupid idea.
agreed, this could be a good film if they use Arnold correctly.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

‘The Legend of Conan’ is looking to begin shooting in Spring 2015.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I can't wait to see Conan in his walker.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

yeah it will be made out of antlers and animal tendons to hold it togteher.

yeah, personally i think they waited far too long to make this film. i think they should have done this about 10 to 15 years ago. would have been better, and Arnold still would have looked ok in his loin cloth. but now. man he looks so old. will be interesting to see this film though ill admit. but ill wait to see it on demand.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #28
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

CROM
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #29
protector2814
Phoenix

I suppose ... this could work. Hopefully borrowing heavily from the King Conan stories -

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...1982-original/
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #30
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

If Arnold does play Conan as an elderly King I hope he can at least try to live up to how awesome Max von sydow was as King Osric.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote