Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

I just finished it & thought it was just Great! - Vanessa surviving & having been so developed as a character leaves room for a great arc involving her; for that I'm thankful. I thought Vincent D'Onofrio was amazing as Fisk. He stole the show for me & Marvel really hit a home run casting Charlie Cox as DD, he nailed it. I found the many conversations between Urick & Karen tedious at times. They could have been shaved down some. Also, while I'm mini-complaining, I found Karen's obsession w/ the taking down of Fisk to be a little too much for me. I know, I know, the murder & all, but still, she was like a bulldog-detective running down clues & midnight searching for evidence, it had me questioning her motivation.

I think Netflix is going to run the rest of their street-lever hero series & then run the Defenders arc, before ever getting back to a straight-up DD show again. I've heard nothing about a season 2 yet. It could be a while.
I'm hoping Charlie Cox as DD will make some sort of appearance in Cap, Civil Way. That would be fantastic.

Wasn't Crusher Creel in the S.H.I.E.L.D. show a young guy? If he's being cinematically/Marvel U linked to this show, wouldn't he be in his 50's seeing as how he fought Matt's Dad?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Upon completing my 2nd viewing of this very well done series I can only make one suggestive change that would've set up Season 2 quite nicely: Wesley's character should have been Owlsey. Wesley was the Kingpin's only real friend and confidant. He knew all the people Fisk knew and it would've made sense to see Wesley (as Owlsey) step into Kinpin's spot with him being in jail and have Melvin (the Gladiator) make him a suit and weapons akin to the comic book character.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Upon completing my 2nd viewing of this very well done series I can only make one suggestive change that would've set up Season 2 quite nicely: Wesley's character should have been Owlsey. Wesley was the Kingpin's only real friend and confidant. He knew all the people Fisk knew and it would've made sense to see Wesley (as Owlsey) step into Kinpin's spot with him being in jail and have Melvin (the Gladiator) make him a suit and weapons akin to the comic book character.
I was dissapointed of Wesley's death as well. He was a great villain character. Hopefully, he makes it back somehow.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

I finished season 1 last night. Overall I really enjoyed this season a ton! It had several things that I thought were extremely well done, but there were some things I'd like to see improved for season 2. Here are my thoughts:

1. Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil: Pro's: I really enjoyed Charlie's performances as both Matt and as Daredevil. I did notice his British accent peak through a couple of times but thought over all that he did a great job with the Yankee accent. It seemed to me that his stunt work was pretty good as well, and the stunt double was a great look a like for Charlie. I enjoyed Daredevil's fighting style a lot! It was different and set him apart from Cap's style, Black widow's style, etc. I was happy to see them stylize and focus attention on DD's fighting style and have it be so apparent when viewing the show.
Cons: Not many on Charlie, though the few I have are difficult to correct . Charlie is too short by two inches to be Daredevil. He also needs to put on 25 to 30 pounds of muscle. He can't do anything about the height, so some additional mass would be good IMO.

Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin: Pros: He's got the face/ head of the Kingpin pretty much perfectly. He is a big dude. He pulled off "menacing" a couple of times. Cons: even though he got a bit better in the later episodes, D'Onofrio's performance was more "mentally deranged Momma's Boy Psychopath" than menacing crime syndicate boss to me. He gave me the feeling that Wilson Fisk was a thumb sucker, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see that in one of his dream scenes.

Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson: Arnim Zola Jr. grew on me as the series went along. I thought his performance in the episode when he finds out Matt is DD was pretty good acting on his part. I usually find the whole, "you should've told me" schtick kind of grating on the nerves, but I felt like it was well done here, and really felt the flashback scenes helped support why Foggy felt so upset about the revelation of Matt being the masked man.

Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page: Pros: pulled off the girl next door role that came to the big city only to be eaten up by the huge change of scenery. I thought her acting wasn't bad. Cons: I wasn't crazy about the fact that Karen was such a liar, and now an apparent murderer? I still wonder if Wesley was somehow testing Karen and will turn up alive somehow, but only time will tell. I wasn't crazy about her decision to gun him down though. It took some of her appeal as a character away for me and made her more like the criminals than like the friend of the good guys. She seems to have pretty huge character flaws.

Wesley: Toby Leonard Moore? Not sure if that's the right actor, but the dude looked like the guy who played Dr. Doom in the last Fox Fantastic Four series with better hair. I hope they bring him back, he'd make a great DeathStalker!

Ben Urich: Vondie Curtis Hall. I really liked this character. I thought he brought such a human element to this series and made me feel more of a connection to the people of Hell's Kitchen. I was really sorry to see him killed. I feel like he's one of the more important characters in this series.

Overall tone was very cool. It was literally too dark in the first few episodes, (hard to see what was going on), but it got better as the show progressed. I loved the Melvin Potter/Gladiator scenes. When I saw the Stilt Man suit I was smiling from ear to ear.

Last thought, I loved the suit!!! It had quite a bit of black in it, but I liked the mask a lot! I've heard quite a few people say they don't care for it that much, but I love the way it was introduced, I loved DD's Billy Clubs, and I just loved the suit overall!!! I can't wait for season 2! It was just announced today!!!! Whoo Hooo!!!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Netflix just announced they're picking up season 2!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #16
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Netflix just announced they're picking up season 2!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Just finished this. Awesome. Just awesome.

I was somewhat disheartened to see his final costume in the promo picks not have the "DD" on it but now, having seen the final episode and seeing that he didn't get the name until after he'd worn the costume the first time, it makes perfect sense. Not crazy about the Batman-esque cowl that covers his nose, hope they correct this.

Loved all the acting and story elements. Loved it.

My one real complaint? No credit given to Wally Wood, who created Daredevil's classic and now standard look, among the long list of DD comic book contributors. That's a huge miss.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #18
brentflynn
Blue Falcon

Steven DeKnight has said that Charlie Cox was too recognisable with the nose exposed. Adding the extra part to the mask was the only way to legitimately obscure who was under the mask.
brentflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentflynn View Post
Steven DeKnight has said that Charlie Cox was too recognisable with the nose exposed. Adding the extra part to the mask was the only way to legitimately obscure who was under the mask.
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
Warpath
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I just finished the series, and found it quite enjoyable. There were a lot of things I was lukewarm on, but the performances and casting out of D'Onofrio and Cox as Kingpin & Daredevil were perfect.
I am lukewarm on Foggy. Neither dislike, or like the actor or his performance. Got better as the series went on.
Karen Page is hard to watch and understand as a character. Her motivations, actions, and words just leave me rolling my eyes too often.
Ben Urich's death was a pretty big surprise. I remember telling my wife, "no he won't die, he is too important to the series." Shows what I know.
I look forward to the next season and the other upcoming Marvel Netflix series. They are off to a good start! Hopefully, these characters will pop up in Civil War.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote