Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #6721
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
@Ryanbusts - Value vs. cost of an object isn't worth the discussion because value is in the eye of the beholder. Just as beauty is. What you think is worth $5, might be worth $100 to me. It's all subjective. Young or not, this is a hobby for everyone - don't see what being young has to do with anything lol. Another "veteran" that needs to take a step down from the high horse. ANYWAY - your entitled to your opinion man, but in MY eyes, the EX is a must. And the EX will certainly retain, if not APPRECIATE in value. All the people who settled for the reg can make all the custom heads they want, but it'll never be the EX.

BTW - there's definitely some truth in what you said about people feeling pushed out by a company they've been loyal to. I talk to a lot of people in this community and there's people who feel like that for sure. But I've also talked to people who slept on ordering the EX, and got butt hurt when they found out in sold in 10 minutes. They weren't expecting it, and they were upset lol.
Lol
Another Veteran.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder= one mans trash is another mans gold=Not what was meant by value VS cost.
There is a sucker born every minute.

Basically in your perspective. Random example is pretty much this

You go shopping for a new home. There is small ranch going for 500k with a cool looking front porch you just love. Needs all new plumbing, electric, and has 30 year old carpet. It's only valued at 300k- But Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...... right???? You said it yourself man. So then there is me- shopping for a home on the same block. I see a sweet 2 story Georgian home with new wood floors- updated plumbing- electric up to code and it has a bigger back yard- going for 500k and valued at close to that.

Your Thanos Gtech is just that. A statue outpriced in the current market that has no bells and whistles(QC&packaging) to justify the price.

Yeah he may be worth that to you but that is your opinion. It's not a factor of Cost VS Value.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #6722
kingdavidf
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
It's Dr Doom, no offense but you and Geektech come off as younger guys. Maybe early 20s.
I think you both miss the point. You are all acting like these are actual works of art/originals. They are Mass produced replicas. Still collectibles yes. If you can't understand the value vs cost of an object- it's not worth the discussion or worthy of a reason for smart remarks.

This is a hot time for comic culture-SS and other companies are profiting off it. That's all good. But if y'all think that Thanos with a huge ES is gonna keep value. Let me get some of that Kool-aid.
People being BUTTHURT about missing the EX- it's not an EX or fail.
The negativity is due to true collectors feeling pushed out by the company jacking up the prices- with no positive impact on the quality of the merchandise.
It's not about missing an EX or not affording it. It's about common sense.

BUTTHURT is a term my wife's stoner little brother would use. Even his stoned butt wouldn't waste 1200$ on a Massively produced statue of a dude he saw in a really cool movie sitting down. And with that said- this guy that reads comics is gonna wait and get a Thanos on throne for hundreds less.
First of all, i never said anyone was butthurt about missing the EX, i dont even think this is an EX or fail. I personally got the EX, but if i didn't i would have picked up the Reg simply because i love the character and the piece speaks volumes about Thanos. if i had to design a Thanos statue myself it'd be very close to what SS did and that is why i love this piece. I fully understand the difference between value and cost and if you ask me this thing is worth 1000 to me, and i could give a rats ass about the resell value, my point still stands that i don't think were going to get a Thanos that tops this for a few years, and this right now is the definitive thanos piece for now..if that changes in a year or two and someone releases a much better thanos piece i would be the first to eat that humble pie.

As far as my age is concerned, i dont know what that has to do with anything, but since you are sooo curious i am definitely not in my early 20s. Just so you know i also read comics and i have almost every single comic book trade and omnibus that thanos has appeared in so i know the character quite well and this guy who also reads comics is going to get his thanos on throne EX when it comes out, post pictures here for everyone to see and enjoy the shxt out of his statue because it will be glorious to look at
kingdavidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #6723
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Lol
Another Veteran.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder= one mans trash is another mans gold=Not what was meant by value VS cost.
There is a sucker born every minute.

Basically in your perspective. Random example is pretty much this

You go shopping for a new home. There is small ranch going for 500k with a cool looking front porch you just love. Needs all new plumbing, electric, and has 30 year old carpet. It's only valued at 300k- But Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...... right???? You said it yourself man. So then there is me- shopping for a home on the same block. I see a sweet 2 story Georgian home with new wood floors- updated plumbing- electric up to code and it has a bigger back yard- going for 500k and valued at close to that.

Your Thanos Gtech is just that. A statue outpriced in the current market that has no bells and whistles(QC&packaging) to justify the price.

Yeah he may be worth that to you but that is your opinion. It's not a factor of Cost VS Value.
Don't blow what I said out of proportion lol. I'm referring to a hobby where we collect statues. Value IS in the eye of the beholder. Just as beauty is. We can talk value vs. cost all day long - no matter any way you cut it, anything that gets made in China is being produced at dirt cheap costs and sold at super profitable margins - which by your standards would mean it's "overpriced". In that case, the HANES T-shirt I'm wearing while I type this is over priced. Just like the shoes I wear to work and the statues I buy from Sideshow lol. If your going to live by that logic, then ALL the statues you own are overpriced - not just Thanos.
Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #6724
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

There is inflation everywhere.

There are people here treating this hobby like the Beanie Baby craze.
Let's see if this helps
For example, currently Comic Movies are hot. So new readers and comic collectors are popping up, �� all good.
So take Deadpool for example.
Some of us "old school" collectors know that New Mutants 98 ain't worth 100+ bucks. We know about the print ones and Wizard in the 90s. We know a bump in value is just that- a bump in value due to the movie(s). So a guy like me that knows the hobby will and already did sell all my copies because A-I know it will drop back in value because the hype will die down and B- there are loads of that book around and tons of people don't even know what it is. 1$ at a garage sale type stuff.
But new collectors know nothing about that and see what the book is going for on EBay, and consider that a standard. If prices go up on EBay- it's their New standard.
So are us old school collectors that stupid or joke worthy because we know better than to jump on the bandwagon. No sir. We just know better.

No King, you did not say Butthurt, that was Geektech in one of the posts recently-about the same topic. .
Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #6725
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

What do you expect, most of us old schoolers were introduced to Venom by McFarlane and these new generation of collectors found out who Venom was from the Spiderman Animated series

But I will say those of you trying to knock Thanos on Throne EX down means you were late to the party and missed out. Nobody will be selling a Thanos on Throne EX for less than it was acquired for. Hell even the 4,000 on top of that might still sell for retail and possibly more eventually. Look at how many Hulk vs Wolverine Maquette were made 6,500 or so and that might be a somewhat alright piece but still not something to drool over. Yet people are still hyping that piece like its something people will regret down the road if they don't get it for retail, not me though. I sent mine back to SSC because it had massive flaws due to the mold being over used. Hulk didn't fit flush onto the base and had a nice 2-3mm gap all around his feet and Wolverines EX head was smaller than the bulge of his neck which looks like dog sh!t. Paid $700+ for that and since it was FLAWED I sent that thing right back to SSC. I ain't going to hobby lobby to fix it or sand down the pegs to see if he fits. That's not my job to do, I paid good money and I should receive a statue that doesn't come with flaws.

What most of you collectors need to realize is for every 1-2 people who aren't satisfied with their statue another 50-100 are more than willing to accept a flawed statue they overpaid for. Be happy with a measly credit and go to hobby lobby and fix your flaw, lol.

I for one will agree we aren't receiving better quality for the price hikes were getting but that comes back down to people needing to be more picky and not accept flaws for a small discount or think twice or three times before POing anything be picky with your money and don't just piss it away. When I pay more than half a grand for a statue that thing better be near damn perfect if not it's going STRAIGHT BACK. Just like my Thanos on Throne EX if that thing comes out with any flaws it's going straight back for a full refund. I ain't playing games and my standards are obviously much higher than most people in this hobby.

Realize your spending good money on cheaply made products from China and you might think twice about buying a polystone statue. Here is a great saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #6726
Gecktechs

@Killer Instinct - Looks like someone watched the show today ^ haha. I have no shame in my game, man. There's nothing wrong with gaining your love for a character through cartoons. We grew up in different environments/times, I wasn't exposed to the same things as you. The kids I hung out with didn't really read comics - we just woke up early before school and weekends and watched cartoons That 90's show is the ONLY reason I was interested enough in Spidey & Venom to buy and read the McFarlane omnibus. If not, I probably never would've known who they were or felt the need to find out. If I'm being honest, I didn't even know who THANOS was. It's the MCU and this statue from Sideshow that really made me curious. It drove me to buy a paperback copy of Infinity Gauntlet and after reading it, I love Thanos and this Maquette 10X more :P

Anyway, I know quality is one of your main concerns (and rightfully so), but I honestly wouldn't worry too much. I have a feeling that this will be one of the greatest statues Sideshow has ever released. To the guys thinking they'll snag an EX for retail or below in years to come, PM me your addresses so I can get some of the good sh!t your smoking.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #6727
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Never said I would get an EX for way less. I will get the reg for way less. EX is not do or die.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #6728
Gecktechs

Quote:
Never said I would get an EX for way less. I will get the reg for way less. EX is not do or die.
Didn't say you did lol. I hope you do! Either way - EX or Reg, I think people are gonna be blown away by this piece. I don't see why Sideshow would hype this up so much if they weren't going to deliver. Did we ever get confirmation from SS that what we saw at SDCC was truly a production piece?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #6729
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
Didn't say you did lol. I hope you do! Either way - EX or Reg, I think people are gonna be blown away by this piece. I don't see why Sideshow would hype this up so much if they weren't going to deliver. Did we ever get confirmation from SS that what we saw at SDCC was truly a production piece?
Yes. From all accounts of people who were at SDCC, this was a production piece, not the painted prototype. They even had the factory produced light up hand that corrected the illuminated gems that people were complaining about.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #6730
tormentedbliss
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
What do you expect, most of us old schoolers were introduced to Venom by McFarlane and these new generation of collectors found out who Venom was from the Spiderman Animated series

But I will say those of you trying to knock Thanos on Throne EX down means you were late to the party and missed out. Nobody will be selling a Thanos on Throne EX for less than it was acquired for. Hell even the 4,000 on top of that might still sell for retail and possibly more eventually. Look at how many Hulk vs Wolverine Maquette were made 6,500 or so and that might be a somewhat alright piece but still not something to drool over. Yet people are still hyping that piece like its something people will regret down the road if they don't get it for retail, not me though. I sent mine back to SSC because it had massive flaws due to the mold being over used. Hulk didn't fit flush onto the base and had a nice 2-3mm gap all around his feet and Wolverines EX head was smaller than the bulge of his neck which looks like dog sh!t. Paid $700+ for that and since it was FLAWED I sent that thing right back to SSC. I ain't going to hobby lobby to fix it or sand down the pegs to see if he fits. That's not my job to do, I paid good money and I should receive a statue that doesn't come with flaws.

What most of you collectors need to realize is for every 1-2 people who aren't satisfied with their statue another 50-100 are more than willing to accept a flawed statue they overpaid for. Be happy with a measly credit and go to hobby lobby and fix your flaw, lol.

I for one will agree we aren't receiving better quality for the price hikes were getting but that comes back down to people needing to be more picky and not accept flaws for a small discount or think twice or three times before POing anything be picky with your money and don't just piss it away. When I pay more than half a grand for a statue that thing better be near damn perfect if not it's going STRAIGHT BACK. Just like my Thanos on Throne EX if that thing comes out with any flaws it's going straight back for a full refund. I ain't playing games and my standards are obviously much higher than most people in this hobby.

Realize your spending good money on cheaply made products from China and you might think twice about buying a polystone statue. Here is a great saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
people will regret not buying the best piece to date for the best price...hulk vs wolverine for $650?? when deadpool and lady DP , Bane and countless other sell for more? A fabulous Hulk sculpt, best paint ive seen on any hulk, the dynamic pose and great looking wolviw..minus his teeth. To say this isnt a GREAT statue at a great price is laughable. Sure with so many made there is bound to be some issues. If many people are claiming its a great statue at a great price maybe they are correct and your just wrong
tormentedbliss is offline   Reply With Quote