Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 6/24/10

Wktf’s Reviews

Superman #700
DC Comics
Written by: J. Michael Straczynski, James Robinson & Dan Jurgens
Drawn by: Eddy Barrows, Bernard Chang, Dan Jurgen, JP Mayer
Covers by: Gary Frank & Eduardo Risso

These big “Giant-Size Anniversary Issue” type comics tend to be hit-or-miss, and mostly miss as was the case with Batman #700 from two weeks ago. Still, there’s something about them that always makes them a draw and, fortunately, as in the case of this book, there will be times the reader finds where the book actually is worth the marketing hype and the extra cost. Two out of the three stories in this book, thankfully, are within Superman’s current continuity and represent a passing of the torch, if you will, from the current to the upcoming writer.

James Robinson brings his run to an end here with a story that’s mainly about Lois & Clark who, finally, reunite in the final pages of War of the Supermen after such a long time apart. In this issue, The Prankster and The Parasite team up to confiscate a post-War high tech weapons stash only to find Lois, to which The Prankster asks, with a nod to decades of Superman cultural continuity, “How in God’s name is she always exactly where she shouldn’t be?” An even people who don’t read Superman comics know that when Lois’ life is in danger…right, you’ve got it. The matchup between Superman and The Parasite, frankly, is a bit of a letdown given how much trouble Rudy’s given Big Blue in the past. But this is all a set up for the big reunion (as opposed to, I guess, the mini reunion previously mentioned at the end of War) of Superman and Lois. These two absolutely open their hearts and leave their emotions and feelings for each other completely exposed, in the way true lovers put themselves at risk by opening their hearts to each other, and Robinson’s dialogue really does a great job of showing just how much they trust and mean to each other. Interestingly, given how strong a character Lois is, she half-heartedly tries to exact a promise out of Superman that he simply can’t give, and one that seems telling given the upcoming story arc. Bernard Chang’s art does a great job delivering rock solid superhero as well as romantic work to honor Robinson’s script.

The counterbalance to this story is the closing piece that actually is the introduction to JMS’ “Grounded” arc, beginning in Superman #701. JMS teams up with new art partner Eddy Barrows, perhaps the best Superman artist since Ed McGuinness, to bring Superman down to Earth from his months away in space. Earth’s greatest hero now is a source of suspicion, given the war the Kryptonians waged against our planet, not to mention the various other crises Earth’s had to endure during his absence. One very personal crisis literally slaps him across the face, draws him back to a conversation he once had with Pa Kent, and helps Superman realign his priorities. Given the stunning work JMS did with Thor, and the equally stunning work he’s done on Brave & The Bold, I’m really looking forward to what he and Barrows can accomplish on this introspective approach to The Man of Steel. Guest star appearances by Batman and Flash help to make this story a sold grounding point but, even without them, this piece is a fabulous anchor to what promises to be a fresh, new approach to Superman story-telling.

The story in the middle? It’s a fun but inconsequential teaming up of Superman and the original Robin The Boy Wonder as Superman traces some arms dealers from Metropolis to Gotham. Written and penciled by long-time Superman creator Dan Jurgens, but finished by Norm Rapmund whose inks perceptively influence Jurgen’s very distinct pencils, all this little tale primarily does is create a resting point of sorts between the two primary creative forces in this issue. But, considering its role, it’s still an enjoyable and diverting story. All in all, I feel confident recommending this book especially for those of you, like me, who’ve been biding your time until Superman finally returned home.

Detective Comics #866
DC Comics
Written by: Dennis O’Neil
Drawn by: Dustin Nguyen
Covers by: Dustin Nguyen & Walter Simonson

There’s been some press lately about Neal Adams’ upcoming Batman: Odyssey comic series. Adams, of course, is the legendary artist who made such a big splash in the 60s and 70s on Batman, Deadman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow, not to mention his Marvel work on Avengers, X-Men and other titles. However, the other half of Adams’ great creative run at DC was Dennis O’Neil who partnered with Adams on much of his Batman and Green Lantern work, and who also went off to Marvel to become a writer and editor there (notably on the Spider-Man titles). It’s always a little scary when a famous writer returns to a character that helped make him famous, as is the case with O’Neil and this issue. What are the chances the new work will measure up to the old work? In the case of folks like Stan Lee, for example, it’s a sure bet it hasn’t and won’t. The verdict on this Dennis O’Neil Batman story?

Pretty impressive, really. Today’s Batman, of course, is Dick Grayson rather than the Batman O’Neil’s written before. But, of course, this writer’s no stranger to Grayson and, in fact, in exploring a present day Batman case the newer Dark Knight’s memories travel back to when he was the Boy Wonder of O’Neil’s past and working for the original Batman. Our hero’s current conundrum actually is the end note to a case from when Dick was just starting out in the biz and when the Dynamic Duo first crossed paths with The Joker. Nguyen, one of today’s hardest working Batman artists, mixes up his style from his normal art to one that looks more like Bruce Timm’s Batman in retelling the related case from Dick’s past. And while this more cartoony style feels a bit distracting and even out of place, considering the past case involves a murder and a man wrongly accused, it kind of works as we toggle back and forth between the two periods in Grayson’s life.

In the end, this is a stand-alone story that keepers of Bat-continuity probably don’t need to read to stay current. That said, it has its share of twists and turns, some precarious moments for Batman, and a moment at the end that shows that, for some characters, there actually is no redemption even if they’re innocent and, even for Batman, it’s possible to end up further behind than when you started. It’s great to see O’Neil’s name back on a comic book, especially Batman, and one can only hope this represents the beginning of a trend.

Avengers #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: John Romita, Jr.
Cover by: John Romita, Jr.

Last issue we saw The Avengers assemble-up and Kang, at the same time, reveal that they must travel to the future to stop their own children from destroying the universe. Of course, we also saw the real villain who’s pulling Kang’s strings. A pretty cool moment, it looks like, for Hulk: Future Imperfect fans. Early on last issue, though, we also saw a bizarre exchange between Wonder Man and Steve Rogers where Simon, believing The Avengers to be the cause of their own and many of the world’s ills, warned Steve to let The Avengers concept end. It was a fairly busy issue that suffered a bit from some very sketchy and even, at times, sloppy JR JR art. Still, the energy of this first issue and the new beginning for The Avengers helped carry the book.

This issue doesn’t sustain that level of energy and, for the most part, feels uncharacteristically flat. The excessive level of dialogue in Avengers #2 clearly reflects how Bendis likes to write his books but he doesn’t balance out the banter with enough plot movement and action to help the reader. I mean, sure, there’s action. Wonder Man makes good on his implied threat and tears into our assembled team. But this battle’s over almost as soon as it’s started. In addition, the new Marvel Boy appears to have joined the ranks, following his truly excellent solo story in the most recent New Avengers Annual, to provide our team with a way to embark on their journey. And, yeah, there’s lots of crackling energy as Marvel Boy and Stark not only develop their technology (as the others, including Thor, chow down on pizza!) but gaze into the events of their possible futures. But, for the most part, it feels like the reader is waiting throughout the majority of this book for something to actually happen.

Bendis and JR JR have produced a passable issue to move their story forward but, thus far, of all the Avengers titles to be launched in the wake of Siege this title, the flagship title, the one with the big guns I’m most interested in seeing, is the weakest of the lot.

Secret Warriors #17
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jonathan Hickman
Drawn by: Alessandro Vitti
Cover by: Jim Cheung

I’ll admit to not having picked up a single Secret Warriors issue until this one. I love the character of Nick Fury, have ever since the ‘60s, but the kiddie heroes never have done much for me (maybe with the exception of Ares’ son, Phobos). I have read all the great press on this book, however, and also separately read that this issue was going to be about the original Howling Commandoes AND that Captain America would be guest starring. So, I picked it up cold.

Awesome is the first word that comes to mind for this story arc titled, “The Last Ride of the Howling Commandos.” Three different and interrelated stories are running concurrently, here. Apparently, the surviving and still fighting members of the Howlers, including Dum Dum Dugan, have been executing covert ops against global enemy forces like Hydra, even if that means entering sovereign countries like China to do it. Now under investigation for their activities, Dugan and Sitwell are being grilled by the United Nations Security Council, during which they recount the reunion party of said Howlers, which also was attended by Nick Fury, Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter. We don’t yet know what’s going on with the Fury character that ambushed Sharon in the first issue of Secret Avengers, but this Nick Fury is the character I’ve always loved, whether commanding The Howlers or S.H.I.E.L.D. Rough, in charge, commanding respect, but driven by his ideals and personal vision.

And, it’s during this party that they all recount the Invasion of Normandy where the scene of Cap giving the men a pep talk before landing, one shown at least once before that I can remember, moves front and center in our story. I have no idea why Marvel insists on continuing to show Cap in a helmet as opposed to his winged cowl (yeah, I’ve seen the concept art for the movie), but that’s how he’s portrayed on the cover. Thankfully, it’s the more traditionally garbed, winged cowled and ultra-determined Cap that we see in this scene inside the book. Backing out of this scene, the D-Day story is told in the context of a celebratory dinner which, in turn, is recounted during a hearing to question the Howler’s recent actions. And, it appears from what’s revealed at this hearing, the happy times experienced at that prior dinner may well be the last time we’ll see remaining Howlers together. I don’t know if I’ll continue reading Secret Warriors beyond this story arc, but for sure Hickman and Vitti have grabbed and held me for the duration of a story where today’s Marvel intersects with what first made Marvel great a few short decades ago.

Ask A British Dude: JLM’s Trade Review

Blacksad HC
Dark Horse
Written by: Juan Diaz Canales
Art by: Juanjo Guarnido

John Blacksad is an almost typical Hollywood private detective. An eye for the dames, a nose for trouble, and able to trade quips with Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe. Unlike Spade and Marlowe though, John Blacksad is a cat.

Despite being a Spanish and French co-creation Diaz Canales and Guarnido’s set the story in an anthropomorphic America of the 1950’s set against a backdrop of racial tension and fear of the Red Menace. The three stories collected into this one volume see Blacksad get involved with the murder of a former lover, a case of a missing child and her apparently unconcerned mother, and someone out to do harm to an old friend. These are all well written, if perhaps fairly standard, pulp fiction tales.

The real joy of this book is the artwork. Whether it be the scenery or the characters themselves, each panel is beautifully illustrated with painstaking watercolour detail. Even simple establishing shots, where nothing much happens, pop off the page. Each of the characters is imbued with a considerable degree of emotion, whether it be the aloof polar bears, the cold blooded reptiles, Blacksad’s sometimes sidekick the weasly-y Weekly, or the cool and cunning Blacksad himself.

Fights and action sequences burst with energy and dynamics, while the quieter moments pack quite a punch as well. But don’t just take my word for it; check out Dark Horse’s preview pages here: http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/Fl.../1173/Blacksad.

These stories have long been out of print, and this volume contains the first English translation of the third story. A fourth story is due later this year, and hopefully the English translation will follow soon after publication.

Don’t let the fact that this world is populated by animals put you off. I was a bit hesitant to pick this up myself, but I found this to be the best comic I have read this year and well worth the cover price.

Highly, highly recommended.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Thanks Guys, I liked Superman, I like where he's started, he's touched the right spots, I just pray and hope it dosen't turn into a whinefest.. I can't help but draw parallel's with his thor run.. Seems pretty similar, coming back and picking up threads. Should be good.
What I am most curious about however, is what is Lois doing with Lex in Action??
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
Thanks Guys, I liked Superman, I like where he's started, he's touched the right spots, I just pray and hope it dosen't turn into a whinefest.. I can't help but draw parallel's with his thor run.. Seems pretty similar, coming back and picking up threads. Should be good.
What I am most curious about however, is what is Lois doing with Lex in Action??
I agree. In fact, there's been some DC marketing pieces actually describing Lois as Lex's new girlfriend. I'm lost on this point but, I'm assuming, it'll be made clear soon.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
abarron
Batman

Great reviews again guys
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Thanks for the reviews guys. Top notch as always.

And I agree with your summary of Avengers 2. Not only does it seems flat, but how many antagonists and unanswered questions are we going to have in this title?

Why is Simon behaving this way?
When are we gonna confront the Avengers' children?
Oops, Kang and the Maestro, let's not forget about them.
And now ANOTHER villain at the en of this book. These Avengers haven't even left their penthouse yet!

I also don't like how Stark is written here. He seems completely out of character for where Matt Fraction is trying to go. I mean Stark Industries doesn't exist anymore, and we see a much more humble Stark in the pages of Iron Man than we see here. This seems like damn near "Im still running SHIELD" Stark when he's far different in his own title.

I'm not giving up on this title but I'll drop this thing like a hot rock soon. I give it to issue 5.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

More talking heads from Bendis. Blah blah blah... I wonder if he gets paid per word?

I'm sticking with Secret Avengers.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Hey, this might sound a little crazy, but I actually am now at a certain point where I enjoy any comic where Wolverine gets beaten....
And as a long-long-time Wonderman fan, I also enjoyed where Iron Man says:"He's one of the most powerful avengers of all time." then bucky/cap asks:"He was an Avenger?" and Hawkeye answers:"one of the best."
Almost feels as if Simon finally gets some credit here...
So I just can't get myself to hate this book yet. Eventhough I would prefer a different artist on the book, and most certainly a different writer, but hey, this is the Avengers, so i'll probably be collecting this comic for far longer than it is actually worth...
If I must have something to complain about, it is Bendis' man-crush on Luke Cage. (He owns the Avengers Mansion now?! WTF!!!)
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I agree. In fact, there's been some DC marketing pieces actually describing Lois as Lex's new girlfriend. I'm lost on this point but, I'm assuming, it'll be made clear soon.
http://www.ifanboy.com/content/artic..._Action_Comics

Not exactly an answer, but still:
There was a bit of a tempest some weeks back when you teased that Lois Lane would become Lex Luthor's girlfriend, and I think I recall you mentioning that you even heard about this from some people in your daily life. What is it about these characters where even a hint that a writer might do something that isn't "true" to them inspires such fury?

Paul Cornell: Yeah, an old college friend of my wife was so worried she got in touch! I think it's great that these guys are so big and iconic and mainstream that they accumulate associated emotion, like pop music does.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Blacksad HC
Dark Horse

John Blacksad is an almost typical Hollywood private detective. An eye for the dames, a nose for trouble, and able to trade quips with Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe. Unlike Spade and Marlowe though, John Blacksad is a cat.

Despite being a Spanish and French co-creation Diaz Canales and Guarnido’s set the story in an anthropomorphic America of the 1950’s set against a backdrop of racial tension and fear of the Red Menace. The three stories collected into this one volume see Blacksad get involved with the murder of a former lover, a case of a missing child and her apparently unconcerned mother, and someone out to do harm to an old friend. These are all well written, if perhaps fairly standard, pulp fiction tales.

The real joy of this book is the artwork. Whether it be the scenery or the characters themselves, each panel is beautifully illustrated with painstaking watercolour detail. Even simple establishing shots, where nothing much happens, pop off the page. Each of the characters is imbued with a considerable degree of emotion, whether it be the aloof polar bears, the cold blooded reptiles, Blacksad’s sometimes sidekick the weasly-y Weekly, or the cool and cunning Blacksad himself.

Fights and action sequences burst with energy and dynamics, while the quieter moments pack quite a punch as well. But don’t just take my word for it; check out Dark Horse’s preview pages here: http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/Fl.../1173/Blacksad.

These stories have long been out of print, and this volume contains the first English translation of the third story. A fourth story is due later this year, and hopefully the English translation will follow soon after publication.

Don’t let the fact that this world is populated by animals put you off. I was a bit hesitant to pick this up myself, but I found this to be the best comic I have read this year and well worth the cover price.

Wow, I picked this HC up at SDCC and, just have to say, this review is spot on in every way. What a fantastic piece of graphic storytelling!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:

Blacksad HC
Dark Horse

I recently finished reading Blacksad and Loved it. The second story regarding racism IMO was the best one and really moved me. Amazing the way the writer used the animals to represent what was going on in the 60's and the KKK.

The third story, i wasn't too keen on the ending though. Slightly confusing. Loved Weekly though

I've been on a bit of an animal roll recently, what with bryan Talbot's Grandville, pre-ordering it's follow up, Blacksad, I've just finished Beasts of Burden HC which I thoroughly enjoyed and I've pre-orderd Lackadaisy, which I think if you liked Blacksad, looks to be right up your street

http://www.lackadaisycats.com/
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote