Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
burgerstrings
Doh!

Purchasing Castaline

Hey guys im new to the site and one day i hope to be posting my own works here. I am currently using super sculpey, but i would like to try castaline. i know theres probably a thread about this already, but would any one happen to know where i could purchase some? Or is it under any other kind of name other than castaline?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
burgerstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I think the problem might be in your spelling...there are literally more articles on this mystery wax than you can shake a loop tool at . try doing a search for castilene with an I ...but as far as I know, there's only one place that sells it and they are almost always out of it. not sure if you can post specific websites in here, but just do a search on yahoo or google and you'll find the place you can buy it at. they also have tons of other useful stuff too. hope that helps
EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
iamneo
Doh!

purchasing cateline

here is a site that seems to keep it in stock for a reasonable price too.
http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/Wax/Castilene.htm
iamneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

burgerstrings -- Currently, the link listed for sculpt.com is the only place you can find/buy castilene.

Right now they're pretty busy filling backorders because Castilene had some problems at their production facility that included not having the right formula for the mix.

When you buy castilene, you need to know what you intend to do with it. That is, are you planning on carving it, or pushing it like clay.

The soft version is a bit stiffer than Super Sculpey and can be tooled with regular sculpting tools, however, is too soft for files, sandpaper and carving tools (Of course you could put it in the fridge for an hour and then use some of these on it). If you're using this version alone, then it will need an armature as would Super Sculpey.

The medium is much stiffer and must be warmed to use it like clay, and can be tooled with regular sculpting tools when warm, or carving tools, etc... when cool (including Wax pens). I would use an armature if the piece was going to be made entirely of medium grade. While it is stiff enough to "seem" like it doesn't need one, it may sag after time and you'll probably encounter weakness in any leg structures without an armature.

The hard is very stiff nearly like jewelers wax. Like the medium it can be warmed up and used like clay to bulk up an area, but since it is inherently stiff, it will cool fairly quickly. It may also require an armature if the figure is standing on thin legs or such. Hard grade is better for carving and providing a base for using Medium grade over.

Whatever you choose -- Good luck and happy sculpting!

Will
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote