Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
RC212
A day without sunshine is like... night.

to start

Ok so I have been trolling this forum for about a week now, but long enough that I know there are people here that I can learn alot from. and that is exactly what I hope to do, I looked at the tutorials thread and most of it seemed a bit beyond me, I got some good tips on how to progress through a scuplt but nothing on how to get started in the artform... so that is my main question... how should I start, not on a particular project but on sculpting in general...

this is something that I know takes a lot of time and hard work to excell in but it is something that I have always wanted to try and had no one around that i felt could teach me what i could not learn by simply playing with the medium, now I have found teachers and so i ask... will you teach?

any tips or even links to beginner tut's would be greatly welcomed

Patrick
RC212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

1. Read through all the threads that give insight on the process, including materials.

2. Get at least one good book on human anatomy.

3. Pick a subject that you have a real passion for.

4. Get to work.

5. Don't get discouraged at how long it takes to get something resembling what you want to see.

6. Don't ask relatives or friends for opinions. Chances are, anything you produce will amaze them simply because it's a new venture for you.

7. Post pics on the board, and ask for harsh critiques. If you don't ask for total honesty, most of us will either look and not respond, or just say something nice.

8. Don't expect too much too soon. To get truly adept in the craft requires years of hard work.

9. Do as much research on your own as possible before asking questions. Some things you will not find from another source, but some info can be learned through your own investigation.

10. Have fun.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
eydylhands
Sculptor
Sculptor

What william said.

almost forgot...

Don't go nuts on detailing something. Work on basic larger forms and proportion first.

Check your work in a mirror for symetry. Try to resist the urge to trash it when you see how lopsided it is.

jm
eydylhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
kaza5555
New Republic

11.Continue to look at everyone's work here everyday to be inspired and motivated.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
metalsquid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

hi Patrick,

a year ago i was where you are at now. sometime last year, i just jumped into sculpting and tried my hand at creating something out of clay. i have no formal art training whatsoever but the 2 things that pushed me over edge to give it a go, were the tutorial section by the G.O.R.E. Group and the one on Dan Perez's website. i don't know if you've read those yet but here they are:

G.O.R.E. Group tutorials
http://www.goregoregore.com/tutorial_01_eng.php

Dan Perez Studios
http://www.danperezstudios.com/workshop.htm

i read and re-read those sites many times and gained lots of insight on how to begin just from there. they are responsible for me going out and buying my first block of Sculpey. perhaps you will find them as useful and inspiring as i did?
metalsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
RC212

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, I can't wait to get home and do some reading on these tut's and I'm going to hit the book store this weekend and see what I can find in my price range at this moment...

are there any good online anatomy ref's or is it better to look in a book?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

RC - welcome to the forum! As you can see from the response in this thread, there are lots of good people here. Nowhere else will you find the kind of talent posting and lurking here! We have all levels of sculptors hanging out, so feel free to ask your questions, and enjoy the ride!
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
RC212

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelscott
RC - welcome to the forum! As you can see from the response in this thread, there are lots of good people here. Nowhere else will you find the kind of talent posting and lurking here! We have all levels of sculptors hanging out, so feel free to ask your questions, and enjoy the ride!
Will do good sir, and it's good to find a place that truly welcomes noobs like myself... am going to do some reading and see if I can't get a decent body(well correctish proportions) up before the end of this long week... heres hoping
Old 05-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
metalsquid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

more great tutorials for you. everything from start to finish!

Mystica's
http://mysticalis.com/blog/viewtopic...e76371f8a4c885

Smellybug's
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=60
metalsquid is offline   Reply With Quote